Coyotes Are Becoming Wolves, Deadly On Mature Deer, Even Bucks

[h=1]http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/05/10/coyotes-becoming-wolves-deadly-mature-deer-even-bucks/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2017-05-14&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter
Coyotes Are Becoming Wolves, Deadly On Mature Deer, Even Bucks[/h]136
Shares

facebook-white-60.png
facebooklike-white-60.png
googleplus-white-60.png
pinterest-white-60.png
email-white-60.png
twitter-white-60.png
reddit-white-60.png
linkedin-white-60.png

[h=2]Hybrid coyote-wolves are a problem now, and are sure to get worse in deer country.[/h] Posted 3 days ago in Archery, Hunting, Opinion by Bob McNally with Be the first to comment!

coyote-standing.ngsversion.1459714905525.adapt_.1900.1-660x371.jpg

Maine’s coyotes are destined to become a bigger, bolder, more aggressive wolf-like animal, and in time will pose an even greater threat to the state’s white-tailed deer population.
The Eastern coyote has long been recognized by state biologists as a coyote-wolf hybrid, first documented in Maine in the early 1900s. But Roland Kays, a leading researcher of coyote DNA at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, said the Eastern coyote found in Maine is becoming more “wolfy” as natural selection favors the dominant wolf genes that make it a larger, more effective predator than its Western counterpart.
Follow the All Outdoor Hunting Channel
“They will continue to get bigger,” Kays said. “They have more wolf genes than the Western coyote. From an evolution point of view, it’s helping the animal survive better. Those (wolf) genes that make it larger are being passed on. I see no reason that will change.”
The implications could be significant in Maine, where deer hunting is a popular recreational activity and contributes to the state’s economy.
coyote-and-prey-ed-friedman.jpg

Kays said the Eastern coyote has about 8 percent wolf DNA – and that percentage will increase over time. He cautions that the evolutionary process is not rapid, and that it could take another century for the Eastern coyote to look much different than it does today. But already, the coyote is considered a threat to the most vulnerable deer – and hunters offer anecdotal evidence that coyotes can take down even large, healthy deer.
ct-coyote-hunting-illinois-cruel-edit-0221-20170216-390x219.jpg

Coyotes are not native to Maine, having arrived from the Western U.S. a century ago. Kays said the hybridization of coyotes and wolves occurred as coyotes migrated east across Canada and the Great Lakes region. Coyotes bred with wolves, resulting in the Eastern coyote, which is as much as 20 pounds heavier than coyotes found in the West. The Eastern coyote has a bigger skull and, more importantly, a wider jaw.
The Western coyote is generally between 20 to 25 pounds, while Eastern coyotes weigh between 30 to 40 pounds. Some have been documented in Maine at 50 pounds.
“Genetic evidence suggests it happened when the wolf population in the Great Lakes was at its lowest point when they were heavily persecuted. So basically some wolf female came into heat and couldn’t find a wolf so bred with the next best thing: a coyote,” Kays said.
Coyote-hunting-tips-390x219.jpg

“The skull is bigger and especially wider, and what’s interesting about that is that it gives them more room in their jaw muscles. They kill with their mouth so they can take down larger prey.”

Hmm. Imagine that. Evolution happening right before our eyes. This isn't going to make the scripture slingers happy. Might drive a few people to jump of the edge of the flat Earth

Very insightful comment. [rolleyes] Should't you be hitting the gun buyback to sell some guns?

Hmm. Imagine that. Evolution happening right before our eyes. This isn't going to make the scripture slingers happy. Might drive a few people to jump of the edge of the flat Earth
Way to screw with a good thread before it even gets off the ground.

Also, as a "scripture slinger" I could easily debate your assertion, but not here.

On Topic: I have seen a large decrease in deer population around my house since coyotes moved in - ten years ago it was the norm to see a group of 2-3 does each with a fawn roaming the neighborhood, now you are lucky to see single deer browsing through the yards.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

The dog and I walk trails where we see coyote-killed adult deer carcasses, and occasionally the culprits themselves. They're big and not shy. A .38 or 9 mm. is my minimum artillery when they're likely to be around.

Problem is probably that wolves are shy, and avoid humans, but coyotes are not, and don't avoid humans or densely populated areas.

Interesting read. I'm not aware of any coywolf attacks on humans - have there been any?

Are you allowed to hunt coyote in Maine? If not I'm assuming that may be on the table in the future?

Those are sweet pictures btw.

Interesting read. I'm not aware of any coywolf attacks on humans - have there been any?

Yup
Half an hour from my Aunt's house.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/coyotes-kill-toronto-singer-in-cape-breton-1.779304

The end of my street.
http://www.wcvb.com/article/coyote-attacks-man-walking-with-4-year-old-daughter-in-groveland/8214752

I shoot every one I see.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you allowed to hunt coyote in Maine? If not I'm assuming that may be on the table in the future?

Yes you can.
The only thing besides raccoons you can hunt at night.
Maine actually had a bounty on them.
$35 apiece IIRC

Yes hunting is allowed and over bait. I know a guide who does very well with them in the winter. Hunts them in the deer yards on the west side of Moosehead. I think he uses a 6.5
Seen other places in the area where hunters would place a small frozen calf or two and wait off in the distance for them to come in.

Quite a stretch bud.

- - - Updated - - -

Way to screw with a good thread before it even gets off the ground.

Also, as a "scripture slinger" I could easily debate your assertion, but not here.

On Topic: I have seen a large decrease in deer population around my house since coyotes moved in - ten years ago it was the norm to see a group of 2-3 does each with a fawn roaming the neighborhood, now you are lucky to see single deer browsing through the yards.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Well......the state wide population is up and continuing to go up. I'm not so convinced the coyotes are impacting the state wide herd. This year when I filled out the survey after deer season ......the question regarding how many deer I saw in the field while hunting......my answer was over 50. I saw that many deer out there this year. Most I've ever seen.

- - - Updated - - -

This is not evolution. It appears to be hybrid speciation.

This!

We are not talking about evolution here. It's cross breeding.

- - - Updated - - -

There is an open season on coyote in most states including Maine.

Last edited:
a good reason to pack a .22 when you are hiking/camping out

If a pack of coyote or wolf decide your dinner you best have steady quick hands maybe more than a 22... me also thinks if your the one they target for dinner you won't know it until they are on you.

The dog and I walk trails where we see coyote-killed adult deer carcasses, and occasionally the culprits themselves. They're big and not shy. A .38 or 9 mm. is my minimum artillery when they're likely to be around.

Question....how do you know the deer was killed by the coyotes or scavenged after the deer was already dead?

If a pack of coyote or wolf decide your dinner you best have steady quick hands maybe more than a 22... me also thinks if your the one they target for dinner you won't know it until they are on you.

So we have larger eastern coyote and smaller western coyote. Now is this guy just saying we have hybrid wolf/yotes to cover up the possibility of wolves expanding and coming back to ME?
I know the coyote around my house are VERY healthy and larger than when I moved in 15years ago.... I don't think any of them are over 40 lbs though. Nice looking animal when they are healthy.
The ones I would see 15 years ago where small skinny and fur looked awful.. now they just look like a neighbors dog that got loose.

- - - Updated - - -

Wolf attacks on humans occur like once in 10 years.

We ain't good eating and they know this. I will stand though if they decide your dinner good luck fending them off.

I was under the impression that the east coast used to have sizeable wolf populations. Deer populations, and game in general, are at higher levels now than a century ago. It makes sense that some animal would fill that ecological niche.

Sent from my m8whl using Tapatalk

They move so quietly, especially compared to dogs of the same size. It's kind of eerie

I was under the impression that the east coast used to have sizeable wolf populations. Deer populations, and game in general, are at higher levels now than a century ago. It makes sense that some animal would fill that ecological niche.

Well.......the the term "game" is very broad. Yes deer and turkey pops are up......because mass wild lands have not been farmed extensively since the 1930's and are now mostly old growth forest which favors deer and turkey.

Grouse......forget it.....almost gone because they favor successional forests that occur after clear cutting.

You can "spin" the game animal numbers anyway you want to make the pops sound good or bad depending on what game or wildlife you are referencing.

Bottom line.......diverse habitats are better......something massachusetts does not have.

Well.......the the term "game" is very broad. Yes deer and turkey pops are up......because mass wild lands have not been farmed extensively since the 1930's and are now mostly old growth forest which favors deer and turkey.

Grouse......forget it.....almost gone because they favor successional forests that occur after clear cutting.

You can "spin" the game animal numbers anyway you want to make the pops sound good or bad depending on what game or wildlife you are referencing.

Bottom line.......diverse habitats are better......something massachusetts does not have.
Fires will help diversify forests as well.

Back
Top Bottom