• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote

We had a coyote problem back home when I was a kid, and I can personally testify that a .22 ain't gonna do it. You might get lucky with your shot placement, or it might succumb eventually, but you don't want a pissed off, wounded coyote wandering around your property.

Our firearm of choice was a Mini 14 with a 3x scope on top of it; it was a reliable round, and we could cover the chicken coup from the back deck of the house about 150 or so yards away. Only trick to shooting .223 is you have to be REAL careful about your backstop - make sure that round is hitting dirt if it misses or goes through the animal. Otherwise, your AR should be ideal.

Other option is the 12 gauge - less range, but it'll definitely work if you can hit the thing.

We also liked to keep the .223 around because we had mountain lions to boot...

oh yeah.......

right now I feel like an idiot standing in the snow watching my 10 pound pup take a crap while I'm holding a 12 gauge.
50594985.jpg

What we've got here...is a failure...to terminate.
coolhandluke.jpg

Last edited:
Metal, I have plenty of time on my hands, when do they like to show up?
Since I bought the shotgun? Never. [laugh] Seriously - had two of three of them around every once in a while for weeks, but nothing after Christmas. Lucky, too...the dog slipped her harness over this past weekend (grumble) maybe 15 min before dark and took a couple hour tour of the orchard and surrounding property.

I've got to get written permission from the neighbors (stupid $*@#&ing 500' rule) but don't see that as a problem as they've already asked me to kill a couple of deer for them when I'm able to. Hunting with bait seem to be legal here from what I've read...After I get my hunting license, I'll make it convenient for myself and give one or two of 'em a 45gr V-Max.

Last edited:
I was thinking I could splash around some pig blood on the ground and lay down, motionless.
I would let them get about 30' away, jump up, and then go all supermoto on 'em wiff mah fotah-five![laugh]

Seriously though, if you want some help, let me know.

oh yeah.......

right now I feel like an idiot standing in the snow watching my 10 pound pup take a crap while I'm holding a 12 gauge.

[laugh2] All I can think of is Elmer Fudd... " SHHH, be very quiet. I'm hunting wabbits"

Seriously, I think the 12ga is the best choice. I've heard those coyote can be wiley and you won't have to worry about a round travelling a mile.

I was thinking I could splash around some pig blood on the ground and lay down, motionless.
I would let them get about 30' away, jump up, and then go all supermoto on 'em wiff mah fotah-five![laugh]

Seriously though, if you want some help, let me know.

Whereabouts? I want in!

I got a better look at him last night. He's huge! Last time he was off in the woods, this time he was in my driveway.

I went out with the pooch for one last trip before bed, about 11PM.

Came in and went upstairs to the bathroom. I looked out the window and noticed the motion detector had turned on a flood light in the yard. In the driveway was this huge BEAST! I though he was a wolf at first and wasn't certain until I did some research this AM.

He was slowly walking with his head down looking ahead into the trees to the left of the house. I'm surrounded by forest and none of it is more than 20 feet from my house. I quickly picked up a flashlight, opened the window and shined it outside. I he just went into the woods so my beam missed him. Almost instantly I hear a crashing coming from the right and see a large deer running full throttle in the same direction the coyote went mere seconds ago. What a racket he made as he thrashed thru the woods. I wonder if another coyote spooked him into a full gallop.

If I had waited 5 minutes to go out, I would have met up with it.

BTW, he looked like this:

coyote.jpg

taken from this website

http://www.easterncoyoteresearch.com/index.html

Apparently they are wolves....coywolf.

I have to do something about this. Walking in the yard is not safe for the dog or anyone else apparently.

Just waiting to see him isn't going to work. I've got to arrange a meeting I think .Any ideas??

My grandpa used dog food. And since you have a dog... [smile]

just make sure you put it out and watch it so that skunks/racoons don't get into it. I guess you'd have to time it right.

And if that doesn't sound good, try hanging old meat out of the reach of racoons and skunks. From your description, the yote is pretty big, so he'll be able to jump at it pretty good. It might give you an extended opportunity for you to have him make friends with some lead shot. Actually, since you have a lot of woods, this could be ideal. That and you can set up a good location so you have good background to shoot against.

I would hang bait somewhere you can flick on a light at night. Be sure of your background. Use the 12 Ga. Perdue chicken works for me.

Point: There is never just ONE coyote.

When your Brother calls the police to say some Yahoo is shooting at night, agree with him that you heard the shot and can't believe someone would shoot a gun in the pitch black.

Is he in Plymouth? Just wondering. I have not seen any recently in South Carver. A few years ago I did see a gray wolf in my driveway. I do know there are bobcat in the forest also. I would take him over here if he would eat some of the damn mouse, rabbit and other stuff.

If all fails, you could get in touch with that guy on another thread that tries to jack deer....he seems real reliable and has a well thought out plan.[shocked]

I guess what you use depends on what you have, I'd use my .22 hornet. It's more powerful than my .22s and quieter than my .223s. My dog is about five or six times the size of a coyote and I always keep an eye on him when I let him out. There are alot of coyotes around here.

I guess what you use depends on what you have, I'd use my .22 hornet. It's more powerful than my .22s and quieter than my .223s. My dog is about five or six times the size of a coyote and I always keep an eye on him when I let him out. There are alot of coyotes around here.

Gerry, your dog is about 5 or 6 times the size of Lou Ferrigno!

Is there any easy way to take one out that may be too close to houses to effectively hunt? Say if someone was feeding a coyote, in their side yard, and it posed a danger to their family and dog. But was too close to a road/others house to hunt it?

Back
Top Bottom