Coyote Warning: State Park in Foxboro (F. Gilbert Hills State Forest)

J

JellyFish

So I'm down there today, doing pre-scouting for squirrel hunting. And I finished walking around and went to chat with one of the guys that works there on my way out.

Well we get chatting and he tells me that apparently they've got some coyotes in there and they are now beginning to travel in packs. Some woman jogger got followed by four of them for a while. They apparently didn't attack but she was pretty lucky I guess or at least that's the impression I got from the guy working there.

And another woman came face to face with one when she was walking her dog on a trail. The coyote and the woman (and her dog) both backed off and went in opposite directions on the trail.

Anyway, beware if you go down there. I suggest keeping some nasty in your pocket or somewhere on your person in case you need it. I personally would not want to be out there with no way to defend myself if I ran into a pack of them. Chances are they would leave you alone but you don't know that for sure.

Mods, please bump this to another forum if appropriate. I almost put it in the hunting forum but I'm not sure if that's the best place for a warning like this. Thanks.

BTW, it's ironic as I was almost loved to death by two labs that came out of nowhere when I was walking down a trail down there. I didn't know what they were, they came out of nowhere and ran right up to me. Scared me a bit at first as I was surprised to see them that far out. Their owner came up shortly after they mugged me with their dog love and then the three of them took off.

But it goes to show you that you don't know what you are going to run into when you go into the woods. Be careful out there. Hopefully it'll just be labs that want to lick you to death but you never know.

I would never have figured that coyotes would be in that state forest. Didn't think it would be big enough for them but I guess not.

I would never have figured that coyotes would be in that state forest. Didn't think it would be big enough for them but I guess not.

What makes you think they're confined to the forest? They have LOTS of room to roam and enjoy snacking on the ample amount of crap the stadium slobs leave behind, as well as squirrels, pets, etc.

I've been seeing them a lot lately. It used to be unusual to see them at all, but they're all over now.
Say what you will about them, they're smart animals and have an uncanny ability to make people look stupid.

Back
Top Bottom