• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote Taxidermy Costs

I've been seeing quite a few dead coyote's here in in RI/SE MA in the side of the highway. What is the going rate if I were to bring in a carcass to get the furl (pelt) off it? Please forgive my word choice, I'm not familiar with the correct language.

Somewhere around $150-$200 to have it skinned, fleshed and tanned for a wall hanger.

You'll need someone to tag it first.

Tan it yourself! I've done a couple... That reminds me, I have to finish my SO's "hand warmer" for this winter's ice fishing season! ;)

Just skinned and the hide tanned. I don't think that would be kosher if I left the skinned carcass on the side of the road, or what people driving by would think nor do I have the time to do it. I saw one get ran over yesterday morning on my way up to Fall River on Rt. 24 in Tiverton.

What tag? No tags for cooties
No tags on you to hunt them.....but they must be reported online or at a station.....and then you must write the Confirmation number on a paper tag and attach it to the carcass.

Read the reg....even states the tag must be on the carcass until prepared for mount or sale. As far as why a road killed coyote would need a tag.....taxidermists know the regs......and no taxidermist is going to accept a coyote for mounting without a tag on it.....same thing with butchers with deer.

Tagging, transporting, and reporting requirements
  • You must report your coyote harvest within 4 working days of the end of the season.
  • Report at an official check station or online.
  • If you report your harvest online, write the confirmation number on a tag and attach the tag to the carcass or pelt.
    • These confirmation numbers must stay attached to the pelt or carcass until that pelt or carcass is prepared for mounting or sold or tanned.

Last edited:
IIRC, you need to contact Environmental Police and get a confirmation number in order to transport a road kill IF YOU DON'T HAVE A HUNTING LICENSE and even more so if it's out of hunting season. I know some local PD's are given EP Tags for deer that have been road killed, but that is a per department thing. You can go online to report a harvested Coyote but as far as I know without a hunting license you cannot get a confirmation number.

Contact and ask at the horses mouth:

MassWildlife Field Headquarters
1 Rabbit Hill Road, Westborough, MA 01581
Phone
Main (508) 389-6300
8 a.m.– 4:30 p.m., M-F

Not seeing any of the above apply to RI... aside from possession of hunting license (and turkey/deer tag is those are in season).

Some folks think that Ma$$Hole laws and regulations apply every where. No tagging of Coyote here in NEW HAMPSHIRE, Shoot them year round.

Back
Top Bottom