Coyote Regulations

boston_007

NES Member
This is going to be a very productive hunting season.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/regulations_coyotes.htm

Changes in Hunting Methods:
The so-called "rifle ban" in the southeastern counties will no longer be issued. Hunters in those counties will now be able to use rifles chambered equal to or larger than .22 caliber (including .17 caliber rifles), except as provided below:
a. During the period from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, (nighttime hours) rifles are restricted to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle.

b. Rifles of any kind may not be used on wildlife management areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail seasons.

There have also been changes in the allowable shot sizes. For the purpose of hunting coyotes, hunters may use shotgun cartridges with shot sizes up to and including FF (.230 inches diameter). However, shot sizes larger than #1 birdshot may not be used for hunting other game birds or mammals (including fox and bobcat), except for waterfowl as provided in the annual Migratory Game Bird Abstracts . Also, in accordance with state law, cartridges loaded with slugs, single balls and buckshot may be used for hunting deer or coyotes only during the shotgun deer season

I have a scoped SMLE that'd be nice on coyote...

How does one hunt coyote, anyway? I have a use for a coyote skin, and it'd be great to use one that I harvested myself... but I have no clue how to hunt for the little buggers.

Bait

Dwaven. What would you have need of a Coyote Skin for?

Coyote Bait.

Dead Fish and rotting Clams work really well. I threw a pile out in the woods in back of the house and the damm coyotes wouldnt shut up for 2 days.

It would be a great use of a .223 with 30 rd clip if they allowed it. I guess we will have to do with the 5 round for hunting.

Trophy12.jpg

Coyote ''Attractant''
2 ounce bottle. 100% pure - no additives - Coyotes are becoming more and more prevalent in the woods. They cut down on your rabbit, turkey, quail, pheasant and deer populations. Use this 100% pure Coyote urine to bring them in and get rid of them. They are smart, crafty, quick, with excellent vision, and even a better sense of smell. They are deadly to other natural game

http://www.harmondeerscents.com/products.aspx?cat=16
CoyoteCover1.png

Last edited:
NE Charters, back to Hunting 101 for you.

That critter ain't no coyote . . . it's a woodchuck that has been photoshopped to look monstrous.

Coyote Ugly

LENS: That aint no ordinary Squvirril. Thats a Non Flying Squvill. and it anit photo shopped to look enormus. Those are little tiny GI Joe Dolls called Action Figures by boy dat dont want nobuddy pokin fun at dem for playing with Dolls.

Coyote_bw.GIF

Play with this and your .22 in the back yard

That sucker looks to be 2-3' long. Awful big for a squirrel, but I've seen some woodchucks that could stretch out 2'.

I agree that it could be a squirrel, but we don't see too many with that coloring in these parts.

I was thinking possibly GI Joe, but the realism of the guns and the length of the critter pushed me towards thinking PhotoShop.

That sucker looks to be 2-3' long. Awful big for a squirrel, but I've seen some woodchucks that could stretch out 2'.

I agree that it could be a squirrel, but we don't see too many with that coloring in these parts.

I was thinking possibly GI Joe, but the realism of the guns and the length of the critter pushed me towards thinking PhotoShop.

the hieght of the curb and width of the yellow line may suggest otherwise.

You can occasionally call a coyote too. Turkey mouth calls work pretty good for this if you learn how to make rabbit-in-distress sounds.

I was bored out of my mind this past turkey season and started making wounded rabbit sounds to crack up my hunting partner. Ended up calling a coyote right into our setup!

Just out of curiosity, what do you do with a coyote after you shoot it? Are they any good to eat, or just keep the pelt?

AE

Just out of curiosity, what do you do with a coyote after you shoot it? Are they any good to eat, or just keep the pelt?

AE
Some people like to keep the pelts for this and that. I would leave the thing there for the other coyote's to eat. There are so many around me it is getting bad, real bad.

My father, brother and I had been on a few unsuccessful night hunts, I'm gonna check out that site linked earlier.

I'd be surprised to find a coyote in the day time, but my AR or Savage .30-06 would get a long nicely with one.

Back
Top Bottom