• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote population saturates Massachusetts

What's the problem? Not sure if you were being serious or not. Besides killing popular game they carry a metric ton of bad diseases.

The following list of diseases is rarely talked about by people that feel we need to co-exist with coyotes.

Heartworm: Most pet owners are aware of the dangers of heartworm infections as it pertains to
their pets’ health. The Cook County Coyote Study found that 41% of the coyotes they tested were infected with heartworm.

Scarcoptic Mange: It is usually associated with coyotes and foxes and is a debilitating disease that is transmitted by a mite. It infest animals by burrowing under their skin resulting in hair loss and increases the animals’ susceptibility to other infections. The animal usually dies of exposure. Coyotes serve as a host to this pathogen which can spread to your pet. Some animals have survived mange but research shows generally less than 10% of infected animals survive.

Rabies: Another disease to keep in mind if you or your pet get bit by a coyote that is acting aggressively.

Canine Distemper:

Canine Parvovirus: Both can be passed to your pet.

Hydatid Disease: Echinococcus Granulosus is a tape worm that can be passed domestic animals and humans. The CDC list this as a life threatening disease in humans. It is insidious in that you may not know that you are infected for 10 to 20 years. Please search the CDC website for additional information.

Tularemia: This can also infect humans

Hookworms and Roundworms:

Infectious Canine Hepatitis:

Equine Encephalitis:
@Admin everybody misread my post. The guy in the article wanted more restrictions on hunting. My question is what's his problem with hunting if we have so many coyotes with the current regs. If anything we could use more hunting. My point was that humans are the top predator, we need to keep game levels balanced. If we let deer populations go as high as your average "stop hunting the poor animals" person wants them, they would destroy the forests and starve.

Gotcha. Game populations in New England aren't exactly high. The fact that you can only shoot a doe in NH the first two days of the season proves this. Deer hunting in New England will always be able to control the population.

I had one run across the road in front of me about 10 feet away. Looked like it was German Shepherd size to me, I actually thought it was a dog until it got closer.

I chased one down my driveway a few weeks ago. When I first saw it I thought it was a German Shepherd.
I've seen them in my yard and around my neighborhood too.

I agree that they can get big, but folks that say they saw an 85 pound yote are probably mistaken. A full grown male GS is much heavier, and stockier. Yotes, especially this time of year are really " puffy". A 60 pound yote is pretty rare.

My Canadian friends tell me that a late winter snow will cause the coyote to decimate the deer population. The day warms enough to melt some of the snow, but it refreezes at night. The yotes can scamper across the the top, but deer plunge through it, which slows them down enough to be easy prey.

Coyote a vermin and should be shot on site. They should be shot on site and they are getting more bold. I had one trot out of the woods in broad daylight 10 feet in front of my tractor and the sucker didn't even run away. It glanced over it's shoulder and just kept trotting. Didn't increase it's speed at all as if to say F*** you.

Gotcha. Game populations in New England aren't exactly high. The fact that you can only shoot a doe in NH the first two days of the season proves this. Deer hunting in New England will always be able to control the population.
I was thinking in particular of the situation in the blue hills with regard to deer

Jonathan Way is a tool of the animal rights industry.

How many here remember Question 1? Coyotes, like beavers, have reached their full population potential here in MA. What we are now seeing statewide is the result of ballot box biology. Residents are expected to sacrifice their property, their livestock, their pets and even their health and well-being on the altar of animal rights.

Blue Hills would benefit from real full deer seasons, not the abbreviated crap they do now. Anytime you don't allow hunters to actually control the population you have population problems.

FFY

If Coyotes ate more deer I’d give them medals. Just hit a deer and we have $1,000 deductible.

That suuuucks! Hopefully the damage was only to the vehicle.
I narrowly missed one coming home from work Thursday night. Doe trotted right out in the middle of the street and then kind slowed and stopped. I am flashing my brights and honking at it and it sauntered off. She looked young, healthy and tasty. She was in the road long enough, and was close enough I probably could have hopped out of my truck and drawn and shot it with my 1911 on my hip. There was not a house within a half mile.

Except around the Blue Hills. Those deer look like Pookey in New Jack City.

As long as there's trash cans, cats, yappie little dogs, home gardens, sheds that can be dug under, coyotes are not going away and will continue to multiply. Some people just can't do the math. Two mating coyotes turns into 5 or 6 or more in one year, and the population grows at an exponential rate.

Back in Sep I was walking behind my house in the woods, I stopped and sat on a rock for a few mins when I heard something coming right at me. It turned out to be the most sickly looking coyote I have ever seen. I unloaded my P30sk at it but between the thick cover and longer shots ~40 ish yards I was unable to hit it. It just kept trotting along like I was never there never mind the fact that I was shooting at it. Needless to say I am not going back in the woods now without a long gun so I can be more successful if I see anything again. As soon as deer season is over I plan on putting in some time hunting them.

I spot them now and then pretty much everywhere I go and I did lost my dog to the heart-worm and the pills didn’t help.

They've had a jump in numbers around me. Getting bolder and closer to the house lately..
With a 2 and a 4 year old running around in the yard, I'm constantly scanning around.
Im also looking for a gigantic eagle to grab one of the kids lol :rolleyes: Probably just me being extra paranoid.
There is an abandoned barn about a half a mile away where Ive tracked them back to.. looks like a dozen. Wish i could tannerite the whole thing on them

Jonathan Way is a tool...

He loves his coyotes.
LowResJawsMeGood-300x224.jpg

As long as there's trash cans, cats, yappie little dogs, home gardens, sheds that can be dug under, coyotes are not going away and will continue to multiply. Some people just can't do the math. Two mating coyotes turns into 5 or 6 or more in one year, and the population grows at an exponential rate.

When more rat-dogs and cats go missing the yuppies will be screaming for DFG to do something.

By then you'll have to be taking what, 9 out of every 10 coyotes for a long time to get the numbers to a manageable size? Then 5-6/10 to keep the population constant?

A few years ago they were common around here, but since that winter that we didn't have much snow, it seems that they're few and far between. I occasionally hear them howl, but not that often. Occasionally see their tracks, but they're not really prevalent. They do show up from time to time on camera. I think that winter where they couldn't catch any deer must have done a number on them, at least in this area. Tons of acreage here, very few houses, so not much free food for them. It's too bad really because I'd love to have the opportunity to snipe a few!

Neighbor has bait sites with cameras setup to catch pics of mountain lions. He sees coyotes sometimes show up at the bait but he says not for atleast 4 days after the bait has been out there.

He loves his coyotes.
LowResJawsMeGood-300x224.jpg

He doesn't get that they are wild animals(not domesticated pets) and no matter how you treat them, you will NEVER get rid of the predatory instinct in them.....NEVER. They are not a 600 or 1000 year old blood line of domesticated canine, they are one generation removed from a pack that routinely hunted and killed(every day) to eat and survive. I hope he has good liability insurance because the first time that coyote's prey drive is triggered by a running child he'll be hung out to dry.

They've had a jump in numbers around me. Getting bolder and closer to the house lately..
With a 2 and a 4 year old running around in the yard, I'm constantly scanning around.
Im also looking for a gigantic eagle to grab one of the kids lol :rolleyes: Probably just me being extra paranoid.
There is an abandoned barn about a half a mile away where Ive tracked them back to.. looks like a dozen. Wish i could tannerite the whole thing on them
Seen three while in the field hunting since September. Never seen em before out there ever. Leads me to believe the numbers are up.....at least in wm zones 9 and 10 where I am hunting.

I will say the guy who wrote the article doesn't know jack! Coyotes kill and eat a lot of cats. WTH did that clown get his info?! Coyotes have been around since and well before in the late 70s INSIDE of Boston (Arnold Arboretum!) I see coyotes fishing at night all the time around the Wollaston beach area. Hey, don't believe me - go out and stand in the water (waders since you will get cold even in the summer time) after it gets dark. They comb the beach for food. I see them around town here all the time and out in the fields during the day. Next time you are going down the highway - keep your eyes open! They are in EVERY TOWN in MA. If you have an outdoor cat eventually it will not come home IMHO. My neighbor use to feed them ham out her window during the winter time, LOL. She said her cat was batting the coyotes off for the ham .... too funny. I suggested that wasn't a good idea since you really don't want them not being afraid of humans so she stopped. To my surprise, her calico cat was around for many years after that. All of the loose neighborhood cats disappeared except for my neighbors cats. One fat orange male (he is a portly one, Oliver - must be late teens or so) is still around ...... he makes the rounds and people feed him tuna and treats. Unsure how he never got eaten - he startles me when I am working in my yard - sneaks up to me and wants to be petted. I never feed him and I use to chase him off with the hose because he killed lots of the song birds, but he isn't agile enough any more. He settles for the voles & shrews. Heck cats just like to hunt. :) Coyotes or whatever variations of them are amazing & resilient animals: you can kill 99% of them and that 1% will come back and over populate the entire area again and MORE. When I was in college 30+ yrs back, we used computer models and figured out you can't kill them off. Once they have been shot at, coyotes, get more cautious and start doing things in the dark. Night vison would be a blast ....

In regards to the "chicken farmers" - raccoons kill a lot more of them than people are aware. They work together as a team. They are so strong they can literally PULL a chicken through chicken wire and leave nothing behinds but scalped feathers. My buddy who was a UNH graduate student observed this and showed me the aftermath. I wouldn't have believed him if he hadn't shown me. :eek:

Coyotes - love em or hate em, are here to stay. YMMV.

What's the problem? Not sure if you were being serious or not. Besides killing popular game they carry a metric ton of bad diseases.

The following list of diseases is rarely talked about by people that feel we need to co-exist with coyotes.

Heartworm: Most pet owners are aware of the dangers of heartworm infections as it pertains to
their pets’ health. The Cook County Coyote Study found that 41% of the coyotes they tested were infected with heartworm.

Scarcoptic Mange: It is usually associated with coyotes and foxes and is a debilitating disease that is transmitted by a mite. It infest animals by burrowing under their skin resulting in hair loss and increases the animals’ susceptibility to other infections. The animal usually dies of exposure. Coyotes serve as a host to this pathogen which can spread to your pet. Some animals have survived mange but research shows generally less than 10% of infected animals survive.

Rabies: Another disease to keep in mind if you or your pet get bit by a coyote that is acting aggressively.

Canine Distemper:

Canine Parvovirus: Both can be passed to your pet.

Hydatid Disease: Echinococcus Granulosus is a tape worm that can be passed domestic animals and humans. The CDC list this as a life threatening disease in humans. It is insidious in that you may not know that you are infected for 10 to 20 years. Please search the CDC website for additional information.

Tularemia: This can also infect humans

Hookworms and Roundworms:

Infectious Canine Hepatitis:

Equine Encephalitis:

Let's not forget the tick borne diseases they help propagate as well. People think that just because they're named deer ticks that they only attach to deer.

Deer are plentiful for sure, coyotes are making bacon too.

Those east of 495 or around it have great deer populations. You have light hunting pressure, lots of pockets deer can live without being bothered.

Out in Central and Western Ma when coyotes came in about 20 years ago. The deer population is down. That is also due to allowing liberal doe permits and the incoming law of allowing two bucks a year. Plus expanding archery, muzzleloader and shotgun almost all at the same time. And killing all the deer in the quabbin which was a good sanctuary and carryover for the local area.

Out here most of the land is open, large blocks of mature woods which deer take many years to recover from over harvest.
It took 60 years for the quabbin to overpopulate. They knocked it down to area wide density in 3 years of hunting. Now its like hunting everywhere else around the area.

The insurance lobby loves it. Less deer car collisions. They shouldnt be managing wildlife though.

To build upon that we now have most hunters because they rarely see a deer. Shooting everything they see. The only positive is that with very low population you do get bigger bucks. But your lucky as heck to see one. Ive shot corker racked bucks over 200 pounds in very overpopulated areas of CT. Id rather have more deer.

Some of you guys see a few deer during a weeks hunt or see even one deer and kill it and say deer are plentiful. Thats a joke. Ive hunted areas in ct that your guaranteed to see 10-20 deer a day and the deer are nice and healthy. You get to watch them, pass as many as you want, pick out certain bucks and pass the little ones letting them grow.
Not kill the first one you see because thats all youll see all week.

Having too many coyotes ( I hear them in the back field at least one to two nights a week) is not helping our deer numbers. When I moved to my house years ago it was tough to see a coyote. Now, I could probably shoot one a week at night if we had a decent way of taking them. Bears and coyotes hammer fawns in the spring. We have plenty of both around and fish and game does not give us the tools to properly manage. Shooting at something in the dark with a .22 is NOT a way to take out coyotes, it's a recipe for an accident. Until we can take them in the dark with lighted or thermal topped real calibers, it's a no go for me, I feel I'm wasting my time.

Last edited:
sometime around 2am this morning my dog went ballistic at the back slider. Like flipped the F out trying to break through the glass. My daughter turned the deck lights on, and saw the entire pack of coyote's on the deck. We've been pretty vigilant lately, knowing they have been in the woods real close to the house when he was outside, but they are obviously getting quite bold.

In regards to the "chicken farmers" - raccoons kill a lot more of them than people are aware. They work together as a team. They are so strong they can literally PULL a chicken through chicken wire and leave nothing behinds but scalped feathers. My buddy who was a UNH graduate student observed this and showed me the aftermath. I wouldn't have believed him if he hadn't shown me. :eek:

Coyotes - love em or hate em, are here to stay. YMMV.
I've had a raccoon pull two of my chicks through wire, it was a gruesome sight. :)

NH doesn't have a closed season for yotes, I literally shoot everyone I see.

sometime around 2am this morning my dog went ballistic at the back slider. Like flipped the F out trying to break through the glass. My daughter turned the deck lights on, and saw the entire pack of coyote's on the deck. We've been pretty vigilant lately, knowing they have been in the woods real close to the house when he was outside, but they are obviously getting quite bold.
That is impressive. How big is your dog?

That's crazy. What do you think drew them in?

Back
Top Bottom