• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote population saturates Massachusetts

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
By Gerry Tuoti
Wicked Local Newsbank Editor
Posted Dec 1, 2017 at 12:01 AMUpdated at 2:06 PM

Once completely foreign to Massachusetts, coyotes have become increasingly common throughout the state, turning up in rural, suburban, and even, urban areas.

“We’re now pretty well saturated with coyotes in this state,” said Dave Wattles, a biologist with the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife. “They started to colonize this state in the 1950s, and we’re now seeing the far end of that colonization. We now have coyotes in every mainland town in the state, and in relatively high densities. All available habitat is occupied by coyotes.

While physical encounters with people are uncommon, the topic of coyote attacks in Massachusetts gained new attention in November after a rabid coyote attacked two people in North Attleboro. The Nov. 20 incident represents the eighth and ninth coyote attacks on humans since the 1950s.

Contrary to the popular image of the lone coyote howling at the moon on the open range, coyotes in Massachusetts live in small family packs and have become established in urban and residential communities where they have access to even a small wooded area.

“In general, they do better in suburban and urban areas where there’s more food,” said Jonathan Way, founder of Eastern Coyote/Coywolf Research. He opposes the state’s policy of allowing coyotes to be hunted with relatively few restrictions.

In rural and wild areas, coyotes often have to travel farther in search of food. But in urban and residential areas, coyotes may occupy smaller territories and be more densely populated.

Sources of food include rabbits, mice, birdfeeders, trash and, the occasional, deer.

Coyotes in Massachusetts
THE ISSUE: Coyotes are now common throughout Massachusetts.

THE IMPACT: Coyotes typically pose a minimal threat to people, but may attack unsupervised pets.

Research has shown eastern coyotes, such as those that live in Massachusetts are a hybrid species, genetically distinct from western coyotes. Their DNA profile is roughly 60 percent western coyote, 30 percent wolf and 10 percent dog, Way said.

Due to the distinct genetic profile of a hybrid species, Way prefers to call eastern coyotes “coywolves.”

On average, they weigh 30 to 40 pounds, as compared to the smaller western coyotes, which have an average weight between 25 and 30 pounds.

While coyote attacks on people are rare, they may prey on pet cats and small dogs.

“Coyotes will see small pets as potential prey items,” said Wattles. “It is highly-recommend people do not let their cats outside. The same goes for small dogs. It’s highly-recommend that they are kept on leash and someone is on other end of that leash.”

Read More:

http://cambridge.wickedlocal.com/news/20171201/coyote-population-saturates-massachusetts

Got in my stand at 6:30am today right away 3 big coyote trotted through the middle of my killing field. I hadn't pulled up my bow yet so no shot, 2 hours later a doe came running by with 2 other mangy looking smaller coyotes chasing her. Thats 5 near norwood ma. area !

I live pretty close to Bridgewater State Univ. Lots of woods around. I had 4 neighbors who have chickens. Now I have 3 neighbors that have chickens, and two of those have lost birds.
Got a call from one neighbor who saw one that " was as big as a German Shepard". I said "No it isn't". I told him I was sure there were some big yotes around since they eat eggs and chicken all the time and that he ought to get a couple of pigs because all canines just love bacon.
He spent about $1200 bucks on his coop and doesn't eat the birds when they stop laying. Friggin yuppies. Cheaper to buy eggs and no chicken shit.

By Gerry Tuoti
Wicked Local Newsbank Editor
Posted Dec 1, 2017 at 12:01 AMUpdated at 2:06 PM

Once completely foreign to Massachusetts, coyotes have become increasingly common throughout the state, turning up in rural, suburban, and even, urban areas.

“We’re now pretty well saturated with coyotes in this state,” said Dave Wattles, a biologist with the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife. “They started to colonize this state in the 1950s, and we’re now seeing the far end of that colonization. We now have coyotes in every mainland town in the state, and in relatively high densities. All available habitat is occupied by coyotes.

While physical encounters with people are uncommon, the topic of coyote attacks in Massachusetts gained new attention in November after a rabid coyote attacked two people in North Attleboro. The Nov. 20 incident represents the eighth and ninth coyote attacks on humans since the 1950s.

Contrary to the popular image of the lone coyote howling at the moon on the open range, coyotes in Massachusetts live in small family packs and have become established in urban and residential communities where they have access to even a small wooded area.

“In general, they do better in suburban and urban areas where there’s more food,” said Jonathan Way, founder of Eastern Coyote/Coywolf Research. He opposes the state’s policy of allowing coyotes to be hunted with relatively few restrictions.

In rural and wild areas, coyotes often have to travel farther in search of food. But in urban and residential areas, coyotes may occupy smaller territories and be more densely populated.

Sources of food include rabbits, mice, birdfeeders, trash and, the occasional, deer.

Coyotes in Massachusetts
THE ISSUE: Coyotes are now common throughout Massachusetts.

THE IMPACT: Coyotes typically pose a minimal threat to people, but may attack unsupervised pets, and eat a shXtload of birds, game animals, and deer.

THE SOLUTION: Open season whenever and wherever safe to shoot, night or day, rifles, shotguns, bows, muzzleloaders, and crossbows, OK to hunt with bait, lights, night scopes, thermal scopes, whatever.

Screw you Jonathan. Out my way they do a shxt ton of deer damage.

saw a huge dead one lastweek in the left hand breakdown lane on 495. first one ive seen in MA

I can see right now Jonathan and I are not going to be best buddies.
If coyotes have successfully saturated the state even with the predatory pressure of humans, what is the problem? The reality is that without humans, other large predators like bears and wolves would control their population.

I live pretty close to Bridgewater State Univ. Lots of woods around. I had 4 neighbors who have chickens. Now I have 3 neighbors that have chickens, and two of those have lost birds.
Got a call from one neighbor who saw one that " was as big as a German Shepard". I said "No it isn't". I told him I was sure there were some big yotes around since they eat eggs and chicken all the time and that he ought to get a couple of pigs because all canines just love bacon.
He spent about $1200 bucks on his coop and doesn't eat the birds when they stop laying. Friggin yuppies. Cheaper to buy eggs and no chicken shit.
I had one run across the road in front of me about 10 feet away. Looked like it was German Shepherd size to me, I actually thought it was a dog until it got closer.

Damn dude after seeing that pic with the coyote carrying that cat in its mouth, I honestly feel like taking up hunting just to take these f***ers out.

If coyotes have successfully saturated the state even with the predatory pressure of humans, what is the problem? The reality is that without humans, other large predators like bears and wolves would control their population.

There are no Wolfs in MA. As for bears they are opportunistic carnivores that could take a coyote in a close in fight if the coyote was surprised or failed to run, but they will not stalk a coyote (particularly given that they are pack animals here).

Out here in the forest you can hear the competing packs howling from different points of the compass in the early evening .

Though I’ve never seen one in my town they regularly wake me up with their howling! Those suckers can get real loud when they get together to sing! When I hear them they seem real close and I wonder if all my cats are in?

Damn dude after seeing that pic with the coyote carrying that cat in its mouth, I honestly feel like taking up hunting just to take these f***ers out.
How the hell do you conceal a double stack pistol with two extra mags on a daily basis? What a giant PITA.
I'm not buying that in the event of an attack, I'll need 30 rounds to go to war. I'm not LEO. Just enough to GTFO out of a hairy situation (which statistically is 3-4 rounds. source )
So you "feel like taking the coyotes out"??.. With what, two out of the three or four rounds you carry??
:D

Bad things happen when one species greatly exceeds the carrying capacity of the land. Bears, wolfs and lions are never coming back in a real capacity to control their numbers. So that leaves it to us.

THE SOLUTION: Open season whenever and wherever safe to shoot, night or day, rifles, shotguns, bows, muzzleloaders, and crossbows, OK to hunt with bait, lights, night scopes, thermal scopes, whatever.
Sounds like NH: Coyote night hunting season is Jan.1 - Mar. 31. Use of bait and technology (lights, electronic calls, silencers, thermal scopes, etc) are encouraged.

Bad things happen when one species greatly exceeds the carrying capacity of the land. Bears, wolfs and lions are never coming back in a real capacity to control their numbers. So that leaves it to us.
That's exactly my point. If anything we could use more hunting. This guy wants to put restrictions that are at best unnecessary and at worse harmful

There are no Wolfs in MA. As for bears they are opportunistic carnivores that could take a coyote in a close in fight if the coyote was surprised or failed to run, but they will not stalk a coyote (particularly given that they are pack animals here).

Out here in the forest you can hear the competing packs howling from different points of the compass in the early evening .
I didn't do a good job of making my point, which was that in the absence of predators humans should do the job, which is the opposite of what the quote from the article implies

I think deer are stressed and taking a hit. The yotes are running down spring fawns. What do you see more of coyotes or long leg rats?
FFY

If Coyotes ate more deer I’d give them medals. Just hit a deer and we have $1,000 deductible.

The Coyotes in Boston seem to travel through the “Emerald Necklace” and rail beds. Lots of rabbits in rail beds so that makes sense.

Do they swim much? Most of the Boston Harbor islands with fresh water have deer, wondering about Coyotes.

What's the problem? Not sure if you were being serious or not. Besides killing popular game they carry a metric ton of bad diseases.

The following list of diseases is rarely talked about by people that feel we need to co-exist with coyotes.

Heartworm: Most pet owners are aware of the dangers of heartworm infections as it pertains to
their pets’ health. The Cook County Coyote Study found that 41% of the coyotes they tested were infected with heartworm.

Scarcoptic Mange: It is usually associated with coyotes and foxes and is a debilitating disease that is transmitted by a mite. It infest animals by burrowing under their skin resulting in hair loss and increases the animals’ susceptibility to other infections. The animal usually dies of exposure. Coyotes serve as a host to this pathogen which can spread to your pet. Some animals have survived mange but research shows generally less than 10% of infected animals survive.

Rabies: Another disease to keep in mind if you or your pet get bit by a coyote that is acting aggressively.

Canine Distemper:

Canine Parvovirus: Both can be passed to your pet.

Hydatid Disease: Echinococcus Granulosus is a tape worm that can be passed domestic animals and humans. The CDC list this as a life threatening disease in humans. It is insidious in that you may not know that you are infected for 10 to 20 years. Please search the CDC website for additional information.

Tularemia: This can also infect humans

Hookworms and Roundworms:

Infectious Canine Hepatitis:

Equine Encephalitis:

I’m pretty sure that they’re getting a little bigger than 40lbs around here. I had to skip deer season this year because the girlfriend is on call at the hospital...better believe i’ll be out dirty dog hunting on the 1st of 2018!

Back
Top Bottom