• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote - looking for group.

If anyone is hunting coyote and needs/wants an extra, let me know. I'd love to get out there and try it on as well as do my part to reduce the invader's numbers.

I'm in Somerville, hunting license for Mass. I had a place to hunt them, but it fell through because for the first time in years they have not had a single coyote. [sad]

Kittery Trading Post has a one night seminar last year on coyote hunting that was pretty good. One of the thing they mentioned was the fact that the pack moves. Saying its not unusual for them to stay in an area for a day or two hunt that and move on and show up in a week or two later. They may hunt over a 25 miles area. There are times in the summer you will hear them every night then not at all for a while. Guessing they just follow the food. One guy there had a hunting camp where they piled road kill for them and had night vision scope and sensors set up to an alarm if anything got near the pile the alarm went off and they would check and shoot them. Even though I hear them lots in the summer I have only seen one that I almost ran over on my bike.
I know where there are 3 fresh deer gut piles and have to check on them to see if they found them yet.

I start in Jan so I can use a rifle so if you have snowshoes and overwhites you are welcome to join. However this year I'm trying new spots and haven't scouted at all yet so I probably won't have much luck. It is still fun trying though :)

Does this work?

18854331.jpg

[smile]

I don't think getting some overwhites would be tough. I'd love to see what this new rifle can do.

Go check out coyotegods.com

You'll see that most pros will stick with .223 as a max coyote rifle due to pelt damage.

The .17 Remington was the preferred chambering for a long time, but now is getting nudged by the .17 Fireball (Mach IV), and especially the .204 Ruger.

Massachusetts only allows shotgun and .22LR at night, so best to use shotgun then.

ArcTeryx makes them - the Wraith jacket/pants, or you can just use a cut up white sheet or the german surplus snow camo overwhites. I use an AR, so personally I wouldn't use a 308 :)

Go check out coyotegods.com

You'll see that most pros will stick with .223 as a max coyote rifle due to pelt damage.

The .17 Remington was the preferred chambering for a long time, but now is getting nudged by the .17 Fireball (Mach IV), and especially the .204 Ruger.

Massachusetts only allows shotgun and .22LR at night, so best to use shotgun then.

I'm going to have to re-read the abstracts again! I thought I had read that larger than .22 was ok with coyote, even at night.

So, how does a .22LR work for coyote?

Dunno, I wouldn't use it! I'm excited for this year. Last year I saw a bobcat but I let him go as he was too cool to watch.

So what is the consensus for the caliber hunting yote in Mass? I have had a few on the game camera here in Leominster. I am interested in going out. Would not mind a yote pillow.... [grin]

Get your out of state nh lic and come up here and head out with my son and i . I use a .243 he uses my ar15 with hand loads that i load just for yotes and I use a loud speaker connected to my mp3 player for a call its deadly. We hunt in a sweet spot under powerlines and have a ton of range we can get out past 500 yards if needed we have great luck out there.

Get your out of state nh lic and come up here and head out with my son and i . I use a .243 he uses my ar15 with hand loads that i load just for yotes and I use a loud speaker connected to my mp3 player for a call its deadly. We hunt in a sweet spot under powerlines and have a ton of range we can get out past 500 yards if needed we have great luck out there.

I will.

Back
Top Bottom