• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote Hunting

I have been looking at a FoxPro I had a Phantom and thought it sucked. Has anyone used night vision or just moonlight with our wonderful law of no artificial lights?

night vision is not legal. it is artificial lighting. at least thats what the dudes that are in the wildlife management office in Hanson told me. (right next to the Hanson rod and gun club)
All you need is a good scope and clear sky.

the foxpro spitfire calls is pretty good, and the sounds are pretty realistic. i just got one, didnt have a chance to try to call in any coyotes, i will tomorrow night. But i did have some fun hiding it out in the trees and playing the coyote howl and raccoon fight, and watching my dogs react to it.

does anyone hunt in Myles Standish? if so, how is it?

im going to try some places out near NH this year, but i've never been to Myles Standish before.

Last edited:
I live right near miles standish, did a little phesant last year and it wasnt bad. Ill be spending a bit of time out there this year for deer and coyote. but have no experience there just yet.

I live right near miles standish, did a little phesant last year and it wasnt bad. Ill be spending a bit of time out there this year for deer and coyote. but have no experience there just yet.

the reason why i am asking is because Myles Standish seems like a place where a lot of hunters go, and where you have a lot of hunters you are bound to have a few stupid ones that shoot at noise. and i dont want to get shot. lol

I have been a few places deer hunting that are like that (Quabin comes to mind). It makes you want to dress in Kevlar from head to toe lol. I stay away from them now that I have more experience and places to go.

the reason why i am asking is because Myles Standish seems like a place where a lot of hunters go, and where you have a lot of hunters you are bound to have a few stupid ones that shoot at noise. and i dont want to get shot. lol

Yeah, that I dont know. I havent been there during deer season, and the only time during phesant that I had an issue was a guy who couldnt see us because we were at the top of a small hill he was halfway up and out of his sightline when he fired over our heads.

Yeah, that I dont know. I havent been there during deer season, and the only time during phesant that I had an issue was a guy who couldnt see us because we were at the top of a small hill he was halfway up and out of his sightline when he fired over our heads.

Tried out my Foxpro Firestorm on crows last Saturday and it worked the nuts. The foxbang feature was great and the remote and unit easily worked out to 125 yards with line of sight. Going to test it at 200 yards this weekend and hopefully bang some coyotes in Maine.

Tried out my Foxpro Firestorm on crows last Saturday and it worked the nuts. The foxbang feature was great and the remote and unit easily worked out to 125 yards with line of sight. Going to test it at 200 yards this weekend and hopefully bang some coyotes in Maine.

i still didnt get a chance to try my foxpro firestorm on animals, but i did try it on my neighbors last weekend. I set it up about 200 yards in the woods, and put on the coyote howl. The next morning he asked me if i heard the coyotes last night. lol

the sounds a very realistic, and im impressed with how loud that little speaker gets, and if thats not enough, you can plug in bigger speakers.

the only bad thing about the foxpro is that it is not water proof, but a trash bag solves the problem and doesnt affect the sound.

well, i finally tried the foxpro spitfire.

I drove my jeep to a field earlier today (we usually have fires thee), and sat on the roof. the coyotes are used to cars parking there, i usually leave my jeep there almost every night.

In a little under an hour i could hear growling from the woods, i stopped the call to see if the coyote would come out to the field (i've seen them on the field during the day before), but he didnt. then a half hour later i played the call again, and 15min after that i heard growling again, but this time the growling started going in a semi circle. I lowered the volume and saw some eyes in the woods, But still wouldnt come out. After that i turned the call on one more time, and this time the growling got worse, and i could hear more coyotes far away howling, so maybe he was waiting for the pack.

at this point, realizing that there was no moon (but a clear sky) and i couldnt see very well out of my scope (i wasnt planning on shooting them, just wanted to try out the call, but i needed some protection just in case), i turned on a flashlight to scare them away and went and got my call.

they seem to like the Jack rabbit distress call, and the small hills around really amplify the sound.

i tried using the coyote locator and Female coyote howling, but i didnt get any answers.

i will go back out tomorrow night, but this time with a tree stand and will cover my scent and will set up right where they were growling at me.

I had sent the following message on September 30:

Hello,

I have reviewed the regulations described in the pdf files online, as well as had several discussions with friends, family, and fellow outdoorsmen regarding the following topics, but have not been able to reach a satisfactory answer. I hope you can provide me with a basic, clear answer to my inquiries.

According to page 29 of the 2010 Massachusetts Fish and Wildlife Guide to hunting, fishing, and trapping,

"Rifles chambered to take larger than .22 caliber long rifle rimfire ammunition and pistols and revolvers chambered to take ammunition larger than .38 caliber are prohibited between the hours of 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise (night time)."

I have a couple of questions about this regulation.

First, is the .17 remington (or similar .17 caliber, small, fast options like the .17 fireball) legal to hunt coyotes at night? The projectile is smaller than that of a .22LR, but the center fire case is larger, packing in more powder. I do not see any wording in the regulation that specifically prohibits a center fire cartridge. The .17 remington travels at a very fast velocity and is accurate and effective for coyotes out to 150-200 yards. The .17 remington is a top choice of many veteran coyote hunters who chose this caliber for it's accuracy, range, and lethal effect on the coyotes with proper shot placement. It is MUCH better suited to quickly and more importantly, humanely dispatch coyotes than a .22LR could ever be.

Second, is the .22WMR rimfire a legal alternative to .22LR? It is a slightly longer case which allows for more powder, producing higher velocities than that of the .22LR. Still, the .22WMR is not an ideal choice for humane kills on the coyotes, but it is seemingly a better alternative to the .22LR.

The regulations also state that artificial lights are prohibited. Why is this? I would think being able to illuminate your target and what lies beyond with a flashlight would be safer, and make for better shots on game hunted at night.

Regarding the Grey squirrel regulations on page 28, why are rifles and handguns prohibited in zones 10-14? A small caliber rifle like .22LR, .17HMR, or .22mag make perfect sense for small game like squirrel, and many of these rifles are employed in the western part of the state in zones 1-9.

Thank you for your time and assistance,

meth0d

Today, I received the following response and thought I'd share with the class:

Hi Chris,

Anything chambered larger than a .22LR is prohibited by statute. Some .17 caliber rifles are legal, but others are not. If the chamber of the rifle is larger than that of a .22LR, then it is NOT legal to use. For example, the Hornaday Mach II is a .17 caliber rimfire rifle with the chamber the same size as a .22LR rimfire. The .17 claiber centerfire (.17 cal Remington centerfire or .17 cal Hornet) or the .17 cal HMR (which is rimfire) all have chambers that are larger than a .22LR and therefore are not legal. ANY rifle that has a chamber larger than a .22LR is illegal to use at night. During the daytime, there are no size restrictions for rifles.

Artificial light is also prohibited by statute. Many coyote hunters use moon light, night vision (anything that does not project a beam or light), or snowy nights with a good moon to successfully hunt coyotes. Anything that is in statute would require an act of the legislature to change.

The rifle restrictions for squirrel hunting are due to the higher human population in eastern MA.

Laura

Thanks for sharing. That clears up any grey areas. I am glad to see you can use night vision. I don't see How it would be called artificial light because like they stated it doesn't project a "beam".

Sure thing.

I was happy that they explained the criteria for determining why the other calibers were illegal, but since she didn't provide any insight to their basis for choosing the .22LR as the standard, I can only surmise the statute was written by someone who doesn't hunt, or at least doesn't hunt coyotes.

Being able to use night vision is a definite plus, as long as you don't use a set with an illuminator, I guess, haha.

I find it funny that you can use a center fire rifle on Coyote but not Deer, unless it just makes it too easy, but hunting in MA is anything but easy compared to the Plains states. (with a rifle)

That was a good reply form them, better than what I got talking to them on the phone. My assumption is they make it a .22lr to discourage people from hunting at night. Good thing is Coyote starts Saturday and I got a spot picked out that my 22-250 can easily reach!! Ducks start in a couple days, this is a great time of year!!!

I find it funny that you can use a center fire rifle on Coyote but not Deer, unless it just makes it too easy, but hunting in MA is anything but easy compared to the Plains states.
the reason is because if they allowed rifles in deer hunting, twice the amount of people would get killed every year. Anyone that has been deer hunting in eastern MA, knows that it is full of people out there that just shoot at sound, and they dont just shoot one round, sometimes you hear 3 or 4 shots. thats why i will do my deer hunting up in Maine, far away from people.

about the artificial lighting,

thanks for clarifying that. I remember during hunters ed class, they said that anything used to see at night was artificial lighting, even night vision, which sounded weird to me.

I really think they (meaning we, through legislation) should open this up to .17HM2, .17HMR, and anything .22 centerfire or smaller (to include .17 Rem, .17 Fireball, .204 Ruger, .22 Hornet, .19 Calhoon, .20 VarTarg, .20 Tac, etc.).

Not sure if anyone had already found out but I called masswildlife today and got confirmation that you can also use a bow or shotgun for night hunting. Not sure how useful the bow would be but the shotgun would be a hell of a lot better than a .22 lr. normal restrictions to shot size apply.

i hate going against everyone, but i think that getting them to change the law so hunters can use a rifle for deer is a bad idea.

there are plenty of irresponsible hunters out there (specially deer hunters), people that wont wait till they have a clear sight, they dont care whats beyond their target, people that just shoot at sound, or a little white dot in between the leaves, or at something that looks kinda brown, and ive seen these poeple take 3 or 4 shots at something they just heard.
Ive seen people shoot at decoys.

now, just think what would happen if you give these people rifles. bullets travel much farther, cause more damage.

what i am trying to say is that, it is bound tat a stupid hunter will kill some innocent person, or a lost bullet will hit a house, and then it will all backfire, and regulations might get even tougher.

it would be a better idea to get them to just straighten up the hunting laws and regulations and make them less confusing.

for example: you can not use a varmint light for coyote, but you can use one for raccoon. You can hunt coyote with any caliber (day), but not raccoon.

So you think that we (repsonsible hunters that want an effective, humane option in a rifle caliber) should be punished, limited in our options, and held responsible for the actions of jackass hunters that disobey the rules?

Did you also support Deval's one gun a month bill?

Usage of a shotgun allows people to use the spray and pray method, you just cant lay down fire like that with a traditional hunting rifle. I guess if you hunt with an AR-10 or one of the few auto loading larger caliber rifles you could. I think more than anything its a population density issue, bullets can travel real far, much farther than a slug or buckshot.

I'm going to look around for some statistics on hunting accidents in Mass vs Other states that allow Rifles. Ill see what I can come up with for NY, their an odd state as they allow rifles in the upstate region and shotgun only in southern NY.

So you think that we (repsonsible hunters that want an effective, humane option in a rifle caliber) should be punished, limited in our options, and held responsible for the actions of jackass hunters that disobey the rules?

My metaphor is: When a fur trapper lives in a remote cabin he can shoot from the front porch and pee off the back porch, but he has to dig his own well and fight the Indians by himself. When he moves into the fort the well is dug and he is safe from the Indians, but he gives up the front and back porch freedoms.

Here in MA we live in a pretty crowded fort. The previous comments about unsafe hunters and the laws they cause us to have are valid. We choose to live in this densly populated state for it's advantages but have to put up with some disadvantages.

My metaphor is: When a fur trapper lives in a remote cabin he can shoot from the front porch and pee off the back porch, but he has to dig his own well and fight the Indians by himself. When he moves into the fort the well is dug and he is safe from the Indians, but he gives up the front and back porch freedoms.

Here in MA we live in a pretty crowded fort. The previous comments about unsafe hunters and the laws they cause us to have are valid. We choose to live in this densly populated state for it's advantages but have to put up with some disadvantages.

Then hunters should be wearing their blaze orange, and play by the rules, not shooting at random nosies or movement, be sure of their backstop etc... My point is, I should not be restricted based on the actions of others.

NC allows high powered rifles for deer, in 20+ years I can't remember hearing about a hunter being shot and killed

Did you also support Deval's one gun a month bill?

first of all: I HATE DEVAL PATRICK

second: you missed my point entirely.

what i meant to say is: there are a lot of responsible hunters out there, but a lot of irresponsible hunters too, and people only look at the negatives.

for example: they show two white cops beating a black guy on the news, they never tell you why, but everyone just assumes its racism and every cop pays for that in a way, they can barely touch someone now. (unless they r attacked of course).

so, its the same with hunters, see, if some A**HOLE kills a little kid two miles away with a lost bullet, cuz they decided to play Rambo, then we all pay for that. People dont say: "oh, well, its one in a 1000. People only look at the little kid thats dead because of a bullet that came from a rifle fired by an irresponsible hunter that shouldnt have been hunting in the first place.

thats why, i think that allowing people to use a rifle during deer season might be a bad idea, and it might backfire on hunters.

you can always drive out of state and use a rifle. Mass is not that big.

NC allows high powered rifles for deer, in 20+ years I can't remember hearing about a hunter being shot and killed

Massachusetts doesnt allow high powered rifles, and every year someone gets shot with a shotgun. how about that? There are just too many hunters during deer season hunting small spaces, like Miles Standish. (3000+ acres is pretty big, but not when you have 100 hunters)

Last edited:
Full moon tonight. Anyone in Worcester area have a decent electronic call they want to try out?

i almost got a coyote this morning. I woke up at 4am, went to my tree stand at 4:50am, and sat there. sunrise is around 6:30am, so we can start hunting at 6am. But of course a coyote starts walking under my tree stand at 5:30am. i didnt move and didnt make any sound (i was about 23' up on the tree), hoping that he wouldnt get scared and i could call him in 20min later. Anyways, he hung around for a minute and left, and never came back. not even with the call. DISAPPOINTING.

but i did call in 10 crows and 2 prey birds (not sure what they were, i could hear them, but not see them) around 7am.

guess i will try again at sunset.

if anyone in NH wants to take a newbie I need to try and get my son a pelt to make his OA Regalia (since I can't hunt wolf around these parts)

if anyone in NH wants to take a newbie I need to try and get my son a pelt to make his OA Regalia (since I can't hunt wolf around these parts)

You are welcome to join my son and myself on our next yote hunt maybe next sunday he is gunning for a deer this weekend during youth weekend

Back
Top Bottom