Coyote hunting with ar15 in MA?

msdamato

NES Member
Coyote hunting with ar15 in MA? Well, can I do it?
I don't see why not it's not a deer. I read that during shotgun season it was shotgun only and at night .22LR only, other than that rifles, and pistols .38 or less are GTG.
So I guess the answer is yes? What about a Preban? What about magazine cap?

Got some great varmit loads made up so give me some good news.

I am not sure about your laws but the 5.56 / .223 both are very good for yotes. Personally I use a AR15 I built in .204 Ruger and it does GREAT. Reaches out to 600 yards but I have not shot a yote that far yet but it does 600 on paper no problem.

I've gone with my AR, and my buddy had a .22-.250, and although we saw some at about 300 yards, we did not get one. He plans to wire deer legs to trees this year to attract them to the area we hunt.

Good luck.

You can use an ar-15 for yotes, just not at night or during the deer season and i beleive in a stocked pheseant area. Pre ban does not matter. You need to use a 5 round mag if you plan to hunt with it though. This is a general mass rule, might change from county to county though.

You can use an ar-15 for yotes, just not at night or during the deer season and i beleive in a stocked pheseant area. Pre ban does not matter. You need to use a 5 round mag if you plan to hunt with it though. This is a general mass rule, might change from county to county though.

the 5 round mag thing is new hampshire not mass.

You can use centerfire 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset, after hours its all shotgun or 22lr. You can only use shotguns when small game hunting during deer season. Good luck and I hope you bag a pile of them!

You can use centerfire 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset, after hours its all shotgun or 22lr. You can only use shotguns when small game hunting during deer season. Good luck and I hope you bag a pile of them!

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_deer.htm

"15. SEASON CLOSURE: During the shotgun deer season, no person shall hunt any bird or mammal except deer or coyote, unless the waterfowl season is open and coincides with the shotgun deer season. After having killed the season limit of deer applicable to the zone or area where hunting, a person shall not hunt in any zone where the deer season remains open, or enter the fields or wood with any firearm, archery equipment or dog, except for the hunting of coyote or for the hunting of waterfowl on coastal waters. There are certain exceptions for licensed commercial shooting preserves."

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_fox.htm

"(c) coyote may be hunted with shotgun cartridges loaded with shot not larger than FF, provided that when coyote are hunted during the shotgun deer season, they may additionally be hunted with those shotgun cartridges that are lawful for the hunting of deer (i.e., including buckshot and slugs);"

wait till shotgun deer season and muzzle loader deer season are over, and then the woods are all yours. you can use any caliber during the day. But, during deer season (read what people already said) you can only use black powder or shotgun.

i hunt with an SKS. 7.62x39mm more powerful than a .223

I'd like to hunt coyote after deer season with one of those NEF 45-70 Buffalo Classics. Just cuz I can. That would be a hoot imo.

Last edited:
I'd like to hunt coyote after deer season with one of those 45-70 Buffalo Classics. Just cuz I can. That would be a hoot imo.

LOL

make sure you hit the back legs, that way you only blow out half his body and can keep the head. (im joking)

7.62 are already pretty big for coyotes, anything bigger just destroy them.

= bigger hole = more sewing

yes i know that, but its almost impossible to find a good rifle with iron sights. I like iron sights. I might buy a CZ, but i will be getting that one in 300 WIN MAG for bear.

I could put sights on an AR-15 mounted on rails, but i don want an AR-15. way overpriced IMO.

I might get a SAIGA in .223 great guns, light, small (16" barrel), the sights are great, its almost natural, you dont even have to adjust, you just bring it u to your shoulder and you are perfectly lined up the the sights. and the small 10 rounds mags are perfect, they are just big enough to hold the gun from underneath, so no shooting sticks needed. (i dont like to carry extra crap, like shooting sticks).

I'm not a big fan of Remington. I own a 700 VTR and i love it and hate it at the same time.

Im a CZ person. Love their guns and their quality, their sights are great, their actions are awesome. Barrels are sweet and stocks are really nice too.

I think (i might be wrong) that the yugo sks was made by them too.

mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_fox.htm

6. PELT TAGGING and SALE OF PELTS: All fox, coyote, and bobcat
taken or salvaged must be brought to an official check station prior
to sale, exchange, disposal, or retention. Fox, bobcat and coyote must
be checked no later than 4 working days (Monday-Friday, except legal
holidays) after the close of the season. Lawfully taken animals will
be tagged with a locking seal at the check station. The seal must remain
attached to the pelt until it is tanned, dressed, or prepared for mounting
by a taxidermist. Seals are not transferable. No fox, coyote, or bobcat
may be sold in Massachusetts unless tagged or sealed by the state of
origin, or another state which has been authorized to do so.

mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_fox.htm

6. PELT TAGGING and SALE OF PELTS: All fox, coyote, and bobcat
taken or salvaged must be brought to an official check station prior
to sale, exchange, disposal, or retention. Fox, bobcat and coyote must
be checked no later than 4 working days (Monday-Friday, except legal
holidays) after the close of the season. Lawfully taken animals will
be tagged with a locking seal at the check station. The seal must remain
attached to the pelt until it is tanned, dressed, or prepared for mounting
by a taxidermist. Seals are not transferable. No fox, coyote, or bobcat
may be sold in Massachusetts unless tagged or sealed by the state of
origin, or another state which has been authorized to do so.

And in walks another preacher.
Seriously though, I have a few copies of the abstracts laying around. I do know what they want you to do, I just don't agree with it. I have not shot any myself, only went a couple of times for a couple of hours. Not nearly the amount of time needed but I just wanted to try out some new calls. I am a total noob to coyote killing but the amount of them around me now is crazy. They are everywhere!

And in walks another preacher.
Seriously though, I have a few copies of the abstracts laying around. I do know what they want you to do, I just don't agree with it. I have not shot any myself, only went a couple of times for a couple of hours. Not nearly the amount of time needed but I just wanted to try out some new calls. I am a total noob to coyote killing but the amount of them around me now is crazy. They are everywhere!

those little guys are pretty smart. Which makes them fun to hunt

i let 3 go already, 2 were a little too far to shoot, and wouldnt come in closer (i think they smelled me) and a third one was walking under my stand (i had a crappy angle to shoot, so i didnt shoot) which is why i dont use the stand anymore.

i got some fox and deer piss at Kittery the other day, i will see if that works better to cover up my scent.

Back
Top Bottom