• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote Hunting MA

so i have it backwards than ? so during the day anything is fair game its only at night ..... thanks

Yup. Tough (impossible) finding 12 ga 2 3/4 BB or FF.

I was hoping to get GOAL to file a bill expanding from .22lr up to maybe .223.

You should look at .17 Rem, .204 Ruger, and .22 and .17 Hornet for daytime on grandad's farm.

A Coyote has moved into my neighborhood. I by no means live in the woods but rather suburbia with the average lot size around a 1/4 acre. I'm about a mile from the closest solid chunk of forest. Yet it has become a common occurrence for me to hear the bastard at night usually across the street where I think he's trying to make a snack out of my neighbors cat and hobbled dog. That neighbor owns about 2 acres, but its largely cleared. I'm sure he would have no problem with me and the bow making a run at him. Too bad the seasons closed.

A Coyote has moved into my neighborhood. I by no means live in the woods but rather suburbia with the average lot size around a 1/4 acre. I'm about a mile from the closest solid chunk of forest. Yet it has become a common occurrence for me to hear the bastard at night usually across the street where I think he's trying to make a snack out of my neighbors cat and hobbled dog. That neighbor owns about 2 acres, but its largely cleared. I'm sure he would have no problem with me and the bow making a run at him. Too bad the seasons closed.

Open season or not, my pets come first. Nobody hears a bow at 3am. Just saying.

???
The HM2 is based on the .22 stinger case and the .17HMR is based n the .22 magnum case. HM2 is very marginal for coyote and HMR is not legal for night hunting. The Bmag (rifle) shoots the .17 WSM (cartridge). The WSM is based off of a 27 caliber power fastener blank. It looks like a failure due to problems with the Savage rifles that it is chambered in:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566189

Savage has a recall on the earlier BMag rifles, and have fixed the problem (allegedly) in the newer ones. I guess this cartridge is the cat's meow for coyote and fox, being inexpensive, fast, and quieter than .223, but more humane than .17 HMR or .22LR or .22Mag.

One less coyote.......
One of our drivers thought he hit something on the highway one night. When he got back to the terminal and post tripped his trailer, he found this......
01bf278df19a83f6af6d4fa2447011b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savage has a recall on the earlier BMag rifles, and have fixed the problem (allegedly) in the newer ones. I guess this cartridge is the cat's meow for coyote and fox, being inexpensive, fast, and quieter than .223, but more humane than .17 HMR or .22LR or .22Mag.

I do like the 17WSM, but really whats the point of using it if you can't use it at night (unless your not from mass, still in that cause i'd pick .223 if it were legal)? I'd rather have .223, h*ll i've seen MANY drop from a .223 then get up and run a half mile with center chest shots. You're also dealing with rimfire which isn't the most consistant or accurate ammo, where as centerfire you have endless options. All the 17WSM field reports i've read have been hit or miss, some drop on the spot, others run with no blood. 150 yard max round, still breaks the sound barrier -> still just as loud.

If we could use .17WSM at night i'd own one, other than that centerfire for coyotes. Fox and bob's I can see pulling out the rimfire, but when you turn the call on 90% of the time its a coyote that shows up.

That savage release has been a disaster. Supposidly the heavy barrel with a boyd's stock is the ticket. Rack the bolt before you buy one, it's a funky design. The Ruger is real nice, but close to $800 for a rimefire! Waiting on the CZ...

Last edited:
One less coyote.......
One of our drivers thought he hit something on the highway one night. When he got back to the terminal and post tripped his trailer, he found this......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeez you did him a favor, ugly b*sterd

I spoke with a environmental cop a while back and he said 17 HMR is not allowed for night hunting. The reason was because although it is a smaller diameter than a .22, it is a longer bullet. Therefore overall it is "larger" than a .22 and no good at night. A friend of mine was told the same thing a few weeks later.

Anyone have any idea if this is true?

I spoke with a environmental cop a while back and he said 17 HMR is not allowed for night hunting. The reason was because although it is a smaller diameter than a .22, it is a longer bullet. Therefore overall it is "larger" than a .22 and no good at night. A friend of mine was told the same thing a few weeks later.

Anyone have any idea if this is true?

Doesn't the restriction for hunting with a rifle at night, specify that the CHAMBER must not be larger than that of .22LR? If you can fit a 17HMR cartridge into the chamber of a rifle chambered for .22LR, you should be good to go. Good luck.

=============================

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIX/Chapter131/Section67

" A person shall not use or possess, where birds or mammals may be found, any rifle chambered to take larger than twenty-two long rifle ammunition, or any revolver or pistol chambered to take larger than thirty-eight caliber ammunition between the hours of one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise of any day throughout the year. "

Last edited:
I checked with the state about this several times and have received the same response each time. It boils down to chamber volume, the only caliber besides .22LR thats legal at night is .22 shorts or .17 mach 2. Each has less chamber volume than .22LR.

The specifically listed the following as not being legal:
17HMR
17WSM
5mm Remington
.22 Mag

Only way i've been able to get around it slightly is using a muzzle loader with a night vision scope.

Last edited:
I checked with the state about this several times and have received the same response each time. It boils down to chamber volume, the only caliber besides .22LR thats legal at night is .22 shorts or .17 mach 2. Each has less chamber volume than .22LR.

17HMR
17WSM
5mm Remington
.22 Mag

Only way i've been able to get around it slightly is using a muzzle loader with a night vision scope.
So it is definite that a .17 hm2 is good to go?

17HMR
17WSM
5mm Remington
.22 Mag

Did you purposely leave out .22 long?

Boy the coyotes near me have really gone radio silent since about mid Feb.

I did have one interesting encounter in NH two weeks ago - a female barking at us. Probably had pups somewhere. Pretty cool.

There are 4 .22 rimfire rounds:
22 extra long 0.750 case length
22 long rifle 0.631 " "
22 long 0.595 " "
22 short 0.421 " "

Now you're splitting hairs, .22LR includes stingers which have the slightly longer case.

The first three you listed would be sold and labeled as .22LR

".22 long" is .22LR (long rifle). .22 shorts have a shorter case, less powder.

I always thought they were 3 different cartridges. Isn't this why they list all 3 on the side of the barrel?

A picture is worth 1,000 words.

This pic shows the difference between .22 short, .22 long, and .22LR:
22sllr.jpg

Here's another, with 22 long, 22 LR, and .22Mag:
22_Long,_22_LR,_22_Winchester_Magnum.JPG

I always thought they were 3 different cartridges. Isn't this why they list all 3 on the side of the barrel?

A picture is worth 1,000 words.

This pic shows the difference between .22 short, .22 long, and .22LR:
22sllr.jpg

Here's another, with 22 long, 22 LR, and .22Mag:
22_Long,_22_LR,_22_Winchester_Magnum.JPG

Honestly you're getting carried away with this breakdown of the .22 rimfire, it's pretty cut and dry IMO.

.22 Shorts -> OK
.22 LR (including "long" which is old school & stingers) -> OK
.22 mag -> not OK, larger than .22 LR

.17HMR -> not OK, more chamber volume. It's a necked down .22mag
.17 WSM -> not OK, more chamber volume. Even though its a necked down nail gun blank.

Leathality wise you're better off with the shotgun and tungston based loads. You'll have the same effective range as .22LR with multiple pellets in the air.

Last edited:
Honestly you're getting carried away with this breakdown of the .22 rimfire, it's pretty cut and dry IMO.

.22 Shorts -> OK
.22 LR (including "long" which is old school & stingers) -> OK
.22 mag -> not OK, larger than .22 LR

.17HMR -> not OK, more chamber volume. It's a necked down .22mag
.17 WSM -> not OK, more chamber volume. Even though its a necked down nail gun blank.

The pictures are good information. What if DFW imposes .22 short and long only, no LR, from 9 to midnight on nights without a full moon, where pheasant and quail are stocked? What then? Chaos. This way, we have pictures to refer to.

The pictures are good information. What if DFW imposes .22 short and long only, no LR, from 9 to midnight on nights without a full moon, where pheasant and quail are stocked? What then? Chaos. This way, we have pictures to refer to.

Which brings to mind - why is crow season exclusive to Fridays, Saturdays & Mondays?

==========

Spotted a coyote @ 4:15 this AM. It'd been a while since I'd seen one.

Last edited:
What are people using for scopes for seeing these suckers at night?? I have a bunch of coyotes very local to me I would like to cull down some. Tough when I cant see them. Suggestions anyone? New to this whole night hunting thing, JT

What are people using for scopes for seeing these suckers at night?? I have a bunch of coyotes very local to me I would like to cull down some. Tough when I cant see them. Suggestions anyone? New to this whole night hunting thing, JT

Can you use lights in new hampshire? If not then you're using moonlight or nightvision/thermal optics.

I use a thermal scope.

As per the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, The US Fish and Wildlife Service sets the amount of days that certain Migratory birds may be hunted. The states get their allocation of days and then sets season. Why or how they come up with those numbers, I have no idea.

Thanks for that

For those of you that night hunt, what are you using for night vision of thermals? Are there any decent units out there that are a good quality, clear vision that won't break the bank. I see a lot of optics going for $1500 and way up from there.

Back
Top Bottom