coyote hunting in mass

correct me if i'm wrong please,,do i have this rite?
we can hunt coyote's in mass with a rifle,my AR15 223cal. as long as its not a WMA zone stocked with phesants,

correct me if i'm wrong please,,do i have this rite?
we can hunt coyote's in mass with a rifle,my AR15 223cal. as long as its not a WMA zone stocked with phesants,

Correct, at least mostly.

You have the pheasant part correct and it is the same during shotgun season for deer. The coyote season remains open, but you can only use a shotgun on them.

The other part concerns the time of day:

Coyote & Fox -Hunting hours end at midnight. Artificial lights prohibited. Rifles chambered to take larger than .22 caliber long rifle rimfire ammunition and pistols and revolvers larger than .38 caliber are prohibited between the hours of /2 hour after sunset and /2 hour before sunrise (night time). Shotguns are allowed (see Shotgun Ammunition, page 5). Firearms other than shotguns and bows and arrows are prohibited on WMAs stocked with pheasant or quail during the pheasant and quail season. Coyote and Fox must be tagged within four working days of the end of the season.

You also cannot use ANY artificial light at night. I mean realistically go on the masswildlife website and you won't miss anything.

True. Quite a few in Westport. I hear em. I rarely see em. Then again I don't really go poking around deep into the woods.

I see them every once in a while around town.
I shot this right before the season ended in my back yard.
.22 mag, 80 yards. They are on my trail cam all the time.
232323232%7Ffp432%3A%3A%3Enu%3D3254%3E63%3A%3E388%3EWSNRCG%3D3264498%3B%3C4328nu0mrj

Nice shooting Fil.

(To the previous questions) Night vision is technically considered using artificial light. I asked about that at my Hunter Safety Course. I'm curious as to those who have this many questions... have you taken the Hunter Safety Course? This is covered in the course and sure it's cool to ask questions and research but you won't be doing any coyote hunting without taking that course...

I just took the course for the second time this summer and local laws aren't covered beyond how to read the abstracts. They were going to bring in a LEO for questions but he couldn't make it. It's not part of the course though.

No artificial lights is posted in the abstract. I mean I don't mind answering any questions people may have. The Hunter Safety Course is a good course to take. We had an EPO come in who had been on the EPA for quite some time.

I took it in 1979 to get my "no expiration date" FID card, which has since expired. Outside of the 10 Commandments, most had faded, until I started preparing to hunt again.

Last year's Bowhunter Course pretty much said, "read the Abstracts".

I credit someone here for saying "we were told to look for orange when in the woods" and will be putting orange on my blind on 11/3009 !!

No. Having to do flashing light qualifications kinda soured me on the man.

Where can one find coyotes in MA, anyway?

My Dad and I called in a few in Plymouth in Miles Standish State Forest, near a dump, in the woods, in a field, near a tree...pretty much anywhere haha. I had heard from a couple of guys they hunt 'em on Nauset beach. [laugh]

I read that raw eggs work well as a bait, tried it out with a few eggs and no result; used some old sandwich meat and a fox came in. Also found out that I'm very good at calling in crows during the day with a distressed rabbit call. [thinking]

My Dad and I called in a few in Plymouth in Miles Standish State Forest, near a dump, in the woods, in a field, near a tree...pretty much anywhere haha. I had heard from a couple of guys they hunt 'em on Nauset beach. [laugh]

I read that raw eggs work well as a bait, tried it out with a few eggs and no result; used some old sandwich meat and a fox came in. Also found out that I'm very good at calling in crows during the day with a distressed rabbit call. [thinking]

Hmm....that's good to know.

I guess Taylor's Point must just be a little too well populated, the only coyotes I've ever seen here are the plastic ones on the football field to keep the geese away......

Back
Top Bottom