• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

coyote hunting in mass

Count me in, I live in Attleboro and we have them all over the place. I was hunting in R.I. last week and had one come in within 30 yard of me during broad daylight, he never saw me. I didn’t shoot because I thought it was a dog, reason why I have no kills this season[crying]

Foxboro and Wrentham state forests are open to hunting. It is deer season so you might piss off some other bow hunters in the trees right now. Couple more weeks till shotgun season.

You can also use calls. And I interppeted that you have to use shotgun during deer and pheasant season only if you are on WMA zone.?

I have not hunted coyote yet but I've been researching it all week. I'm going to try it soon. FYI YouTube "Coyote hunting" and you can see a bunch of great hunts.

WillyHank, lets go coyote hunting but you'll need a new gun because as your wife said "nothing in the safe will kill coyotes?"

Last edited:
Any of you guys hunting them in the Quincy/boston area? Never been out hunting for them and would love to try it with someone that knows what they are doing. I went out for deer two years back with a buddy and had a good time out in the woods. Didn't get a deer but always nice being out in the woods.

Thanks

Mike

From checking out the Mass site you can't hunt with a AR rifle here in Mass. You can only hunt them with a 22 long rifle type round IE 22LR, 22Mag or 17HMR you can hunt with a shotgun with FF shot or when shotgun is open for deer you can use 00 buck or slug.

From checking out the Mass site you can't hunt with a AR rifle here in Mass. You can only hunt them with a 22 long rifle type round IE 22LR, 22Mag or 17HMR you can hunt with a shotgun with FF shot or when shotgun is open for deer you can use 00 buck or slug.

I think thats for after dark. During daylight you can use rifle, handgun or shotgun

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_fox.htm

Hunting of Fox, Coyote, and Bobcat

8. HUNTING IMPLEMENTS: It is lawful to hunt fox, coyote, and bobcat with rifles, shotguns, handguns, or archery, provided that:

(a) on wildlife management areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail season, only shotguns and archery may be used;

(b) during the hours from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber, and rifles to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle;

(c) coyote may be hunted with shotgun cartridges loaded with shot not larger than FF, provided that when coyote are hunted during the shotgun deer season, they may additionally be hunted with those shotgun cartridges that are lawful for the hunting of deer (i.e., including buckshot and slugs);

(d) fox and bobcat may be hunted with shotgun cartridges loaded with shot not larger than #1 birdshot.

I really want to know who makes up these rules, and what they are thinking. [rofl]

(b) during the hours from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber, and rifles to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle;

According to this I can use anything during the day. I can see some Wildlife guy looking at me coming out of the woods holding an AR-15.

According to this I can use anything during the day. I can see some Wildlife guy looking at me coming out of the woods holding an AR-15.

You are correct [grin]

If you walked out of the woods with that...
images

I really want to know who makes up these rules, and what they are thinking. [rofl]

According to that, you can also use a handgun chambered for any of the .30 rifle cartridges (I know T/C makes .30-30 barrels). It's stupid.

I've got some questions about what to do with the coyote after it has been shot & killed.

Do you keep the pelt or are you just doing population control?

If you keep the pelt, do you sell it?

I'm considering doing a little coyote hunting this year, and I'm sure I'll have some more questions later on.

I've got some questions about what to do with the coyote after it has been shot & killed.

I'm considering doing a little coyote hunting this year, and I'm sure I'll have some more questions later on.

I have not confirmed this but, I was told that KTP still buys coyote pelts.
Anyone know this for sure?

With a little skinning practice the pelts can be sold. The market is down now according to Fur-Fish-&-Game Magazine. You can get $20+ for a decent one. The key is to not destroy it with a high caliber rifle. Personally, I find a .22 between the peepers is good or a .223 (I prefer a poly tip like nosler ballistic) at 100yds or so at center mass won't blow through causing a massive exit hole. Big holes ruin a pelt.

If you choose not to sell you can send the pelt to Moyle Mink Tannery or USA Fox & Fur, to name a couple, and have it tanned and sent back to you. They come out nice if you take your time skinning them.

Last edited:

I kill quite a few coyotes. I sometimes sell the pelts, sometimes leave em' in a pile. Last time I sold them, I was getting $15 on the dog, and $20 if I skin them. If you want to tan them, and know how to do it right, you can get more.

I know my neighbor knows how to tan with brains, and I might ask him to show me if I get lucky this year.

I've noticed that coyotes like to poop in the middle of trails, and often atop rocks in said trails. As I made my way out to my stand today, I noticed a dropping. On a rock. With a lot of black hair evident. And there was a cat claw exposed in it. And the claw was attached to a knuckle.

I've noticed that coyotes like to poop in the middle of trails, and often atop rocks in said trails. As I made my way out to my stand today, I noticed a dropping. On a rock. With a lot of black hair evident. And there was a cat claw exposed in it. And the claw was attached to a knuckle.

while i was deer hunting i saw the same thing dropping with hair in the middle of the trail but no claw in it
i am also going to try hunting them this year it seems like fun calling them in

I saw the droppings in the middle of one of the atv trails behind my house...

If all goes as planned, one of the DM lowers from the current group buy will be built up as a 'yote rifle...

Back
Top Bottom