• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote control?

Wondering if anyone on here has any proven methods to safeguard around the house against coyotes....

I'm asking for my mom who is almost 70 and has 2 very small dogs. My mom has a very hard time putting weight on and literally weighs like 88 lbs. She's seen coyotes, sometimes 2-3 at a time prowling around her back yard which abuts the Pine River in danvers....She only takes them out on a leash now but being so tiny herself she's understandably scared.

I told her it's very unlikely for them to come after a person, but if one was bold enough to make a move on her leashed dog, she'd be f***ed.

She called the town, which was predictably useless. Seems like none of the towns are taking this problem seriously. My neighbor's cat was eaten literally on my front porch by coyotes. I hear and see them all the time now. Being well north of 200lbs and walking or running my 90lb dog I'm not very concerned when I see them, but my mom is getting very scared.

I suggested she get pepper spray or even bear spray but I'm a bit concerned about her blasting herself in the face in a panic.

Anyone know of anything that can be done around the yard to discourage them? She lives in a condo complex made up of a bunch of single family homes under a condo association. Due to environmental shit with the river, no fences can be built in the yards.

Wow thats a tough one. Only thing that comes to mind would be wolf urine. subscribing to see what we can come up with.
That crossed my mind too but with our 'yotes being part wolf (supposedly) that might just bring more in.

I'm kind of leaning toward bear spray and teaching her how to use it. I'd just worry that she spray it into the wind or something.

I also suggested she put a bunch of pennies or pebbles into a metal coffee can, and shake it when she goes out there.

It really seems like this whole area is really infested with the god damned things though.

The best option for Mom is probably going to be Mace.
If it wasn't for it being a condo I would suggest an electric fence.
I know that area , shooting is out.
Now is the worst time of year for them and most other animals, food being scarce.
Hunger makes them brazen as all hell.
Towns hate to get involved in any kind of animal control .
The fruitcakes come out of the woodwork at the mere mention of it, and it's a headache they run from.

The other thing that comes to mind would be an air horn, should startle them pretty good and hurt their ears.

12 GA by the back door probably doesn't fly as well in MA as it does for my in laws in OH. He said he was going to use our 10 lb dog for bait, hasn't seemed to follow through yet.

Not sure if there is an environmental stimulus which would overcome hunger and I think you are looking for avoidance over defense, as even if she can spray away one she will be scared to ever walk the dogs again.

If a fence is out, how about a perimeter of rope with cans and other noisy shit tied to it? Yotes are pretty timid and bumping into something like that would probably scare them off. Ugly as shit, but could be effective.

That crossed my mind too but with our 'yotes being part wolf (supposedly) that might just bring more in.

I'm kind of leaning toward bear spray and teaching her how to use it. I'd just worry that she spray it into the wind or something.

I also suggested she put a bunch of pennies or pebbles into a metal coffee can, and shake it when she goes out there.

It really seems like this whole area is really infested with the god damned things though.

Reality is that if anyone has to spray OC/Mace we can't choose which way the wind is blowing. That's why LEOs all have to get sprayed and learn to fight thru it. Teaching her to use it is the best you can do here.

You can try putting out a few bowls of ammonia in the yard. Screws their sense of smell up, they will avoid the area if they can’t sniff the air.

Even if the condo association will allow her to do this, NH3 vaporizes relatively quickly and would have to be replenished very frequently, making it not very practical as a solution.

If a fence is out, how about a perimeter of rope with cans and other noisy shit tied to it? Yotes are pretty timid and bumping into something like that would probably scare them off. Ugly as shit, but could be effective.

She could never get away with that in a condo association.

See about getting the Roadrunner to move to the neighborhood. The coyotes will be going after that all the time, and get anvils dropped on them too much to go after the bite-sized doggies...
[rofl2]

Would bring in a trapper work?

Bob
The set up to start is about $1500 dollars and $500 per coyote caught.
No guarantees.
A trapper might not even take it on in a crowded environment like a condo development anyway.
Too many freaks, fruitcakes and nutbags to deal with.
You use a live chicken as bait in a separate compartment, so the coyote thinks he can get it , but can't.
The trap for a coyote is about the size of a sofa so your not going to do it on the down low.

We had a freak in Cape Ann that was waiting for our customer to go to work and then coming over with a 24 foot ladder and throwing our squirrel traps off his roof .
I love trail cameras.
Caught the silly bitch red handed.
It is an arrestable offence , but the clam cop wouldn't go through with it.
Just scared her .

Last edited:
Mothball the heck out of the perimeter?
Red pepper flakes also?
Soap spray, too?

Maybe intersperse these three things, so the pattern is something like this:
O..O..O.....O..O..O.....O..O..O.....O..O..O.....O..O..O

2 100 lb GSD's.

Coyotes up by us went from king's of the orchard out back to scared little bitches when Remington and Jameson were grown.

2 100 lb GSD's.

Coyotes up by us went from king's of the orchard out back to scared little bitches when Remington and Jameson were grown.

Practical solution in this case, but you were only trying to help. Tbh, domesticated pooches don’t normally do well against wild animals. Saw 100 pound rotty and large mixed pit something absolutely torn up by a 15 pound? fischer The yotes might run but they’ll be back.

By our back door we keep an airhorn and golf club. Our little dog is on a dog run with her leash. This wouldn't prevent an attack, the dog is attached to the run so a yote couldn't just take it quickly, but a quick attack would certainly hurt the dog. Hopefully the airhorn would scare and runnng after a single yote with a golf club might deter. Most yotes are 20-40 lbs, not that large that even your mom with a club in her hand might. Also keep an airgun and paintball gun near the door.

If it is a single yote, unless it is rabid, it will probably run. If it is a pack, that is an issue.

CaucasianShepherdDogVasteliRussiaPurebredDog2YearsOld3.JPG

These are known to kill wolves in single combat......

I used to do nuisance animal control at the airport and we had a coyote problem for a while. According to the depredation permit, we were supposed to burn or bury the remains of any bird / animal we killed. We got lazy one day, and decided to try a trick one of the guys had heard, and we left the next coyote we shot where it lay (it was in the woods, and away from where anyone would see/smell it). Kept the rest away for about two years.

Might be worth a shot?

The state has "Problem Animal Control Agents (PAC) Problem Animal Control agents
I'll have her look into it. Since she doesn't technically own the land, the condo association would have to go along with it. It's made up of the residents, several of whom have dogs, so it may not be a hard sell.

Thanks for the link.

Wondering if anyone on here has any proven methods to safeguard around the house against coyotes....

I'm asking for my mom who is almost 70 and has 2 very small dogs. My mom has a very hard time putting weight on and literally weighs like 88 lbs. She's seen coyotes, sometimes 2-3 at a time prowling around her back yard which abuts the Pine River in danvers....She only takes them out on a leash now but being so tiny herself she's understandably scared.

I told her it's very unlikely for them to come after a person, but if one was bold enough to make a move on her leashed dog, she'd be f***ed.

She called the town, which was predictably useless. Seems like none of the towns are taking this problem seriously. My neighbor's cat was eaten literally on my front porch by coyotes. I hear and see them all the time now. Being well north of 200lbs and walking or running my 90lb dog I'm not very concerned when I see them, but my mom is getting very scared.

I suggested she get pepper spray or even bear spray but I'm a bit concerned about her blasting herself in the face in a panic.

Anyone know of anything that can be done around the yard to discourage them? She lives in a condo complex made up of a bunch of single family homes under a condo association. Due to environmental shit with the river, no fences can be built in the yards.

Its coyote season in MA right now.... if its residential .22 LRN Quiet is available at TS USA. They can't bother your mother if they're dead.

I had no idea it was that kind of money.

Bob
It's labor intensive.
You have to care humanly for the chicken every day, food , water, plus by regs you have to check the trap at least once every 24 hours.
So no matter where you are working , you have to make the trip out and document you checked it.
It may take a week before you catch one if at all.
They are pretty cagey.

Back
Top Bottom