• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote calling.

Anyone use calls? I was at Basspro today doing a little shopping and was given an electronic call and a second audio chip for it. I figured most coyote hunters here are going to be baiting and hunting over private land. Anyone using calls successfully?

I have been calling with mixed results this year. I had a couple come in, but managed to scare them off through my own impatience. I called in a couple skunks and a fisher the other night. Calling works for sure, but this year so far has been weird. I think it is weather related. There is still food out there for them. Once it snows and sticks, they will be more willing to respond. I use both electric and mouth calls.

My buddy uses a foxpro and he is extremely successful with it, seems every other day he's posting a picture of a dog he shot on FB and the call is always in the picture.

I have a Foxpro i use for Crows and it is one of the best calls you can buy.

hahaha, now THAT's an expensive call. I thought $200 was a lot. ;)

Where do you guys hunt? I was thinking something like taking my bp rifle to a WMA, or use a shotgun with slugs.

Raspy coaxer works well here. I use a foxpro spitfire but it eats batteries.

I hit up any wma that lists coyote in the map :)

No luck so far but the weather makes the more inaccessible places easier to get to, downside I haven't seen one yet unlike last year.

No slugs, only during deer season. shot size needs to be less than or equal to 0.23" or type F.

I will be sure to refamiliarize myself with all appropriate regs before going out and inadvertantly doing something stupid. I can't use a slug, but I can use my .308. derp derp.

Thanks.

yes, the rules are stupid and confusing - just like every other MA gun law.

There are only a few places that sell the type F shot. I checked out the Dead Coyote type F shot at Bass Pro last week. It was $38 for a box of 10. The type BB shot maybe a good choice, but have not located it. Cheaper to use a #4 turkey shot round, although probably not as effective.

hahaha, now THAT's an expensive call. I thought $200 was a lot. ;)

Where do you guys hunt? I was thinking something like taking my bp rifle to a WMA, or use a shotgun with slugs.

I spend a lot of time looking at topo maps of the area around my house. I have several spots that I visit regularly and spend 30 mins or so at. If they don't show, I move to somewhere else.

On a side note, I got verbally bitch slapped by an anti yesterday. It was kinda fun, as she was wearing leather and holding an animal she normally keeps in a cage as she criticized me for killing animals. It didn't last long.

are we setting up a hunt? I am in, I can bring my p229 with my 22 LR conversion kit, those puppies dont have a shot, as long as its not over 50 yards, that sucker is all mine baby

On a side note, I got verbally bitch slapped by an anti yesterday. It was kinda fun, as she was wearing leather and holding an animal she normally keeps in a cage as she criticized me for killing animals. It didn't last long.
Yeah... those ones are funny. They really hate it when you tell them to eat it.

Last edited:
yeah, don't want to use a .22 on a coyote. I'm actually thinking of putting off a pistol purchase so I can get something shooting .17 hmr. .308 is just overkill since I would like to take the pelts.

yeah, don't want to use a .22 on a coyote. I'm actually thinking of putting off a pistol purchase so I can get something shooting .17 hmr. .308 is just overkill since I would like to take the pelts.

HMR is not really enough for coyote either. Many say .223 and above are too big if you are looking for pelts, unless you like to sew. Based on what I've read, I think the ideal is .22 Hornet to .223 or .204 Ruger, but shotgun at night in MA.

I use handloaded .223 ammo for coyotes. I load moly coated Bitzking bullets, which do a nice job on dogs, and seldom leave an exit wound. I call dogs using hand calls, and a Foxpro caller. This is what I used to bag a 70 lb coyote in Massachusetts.

Do you guys work with pelts yourself or can you recommend someone. These days it’s getting harder to find a good butcher, never mind a quality fur guy. And how do you use the pelt? Mittens might be nice and some home boots. A blanket would be great too, but requires way more fur than I have time for or money.

Do you guys work with pelts yourself or can you recommend someone. These days it’s getting harder to find a good butcher, never mind a quality fur guy. And how do you use the pelt? Mittens might be nice and some home boots. A blanket would be great too, but requires way more fur than I have time for or money.
I've worn some amazing coyote hats, and almost bought a really fine coyote pillow. If it's a high quality pelt, you can do a lot with it. I even think the bobbleheads would be ok with here, if you told them it was the coyote that ate your neighbor's sharpei!

What do you guys think about using a 22-250 to hunt coyote? Will that get the job done even if its only single shot? I have one and want to get into yote hunting, I have some land that I've seen a den on before and want to hunt around that area. Do you guys usually hunt from the ground or from a stand? Will they respond well during the day (probably morning or evening)?

What do you guys think about using a 22-250 to hunt coyote? Will that get the job done even if its only single shot? I have one and want to get into yote hunting, I have some land that I've seen a den on before and want to hunt around that area. Do you guys usually hunt from the ground or from a stand? Will they respond well during the day (probably morning or evening)?

That will do just fine. Many swear by .22-250 for coyote. As with hunting all things; shot placement counts for a lot.

I sell a lot of my fur. Send me a PM and let me know what your thinking about. I don't have any coyote at the moment, but I do have beaver, which to me when tanned and sheared is better for stuff like hats and mittens and stuff.

22-250 damage

... sold on the .17 Remington, and haven't used anything else on coyotes for the past several seasons. The little bullets at hellacious velocities are everything that Roy Weatherby preached, and they usually kill a coyote so quick and so dead that you have to see it to believe it. The other wonderful thing about the .17 Rem is that it almost never exits, and if you are skinning fur that is a major selling point, at least if you sew like I do.

That said, any of the .22 centerfires will kill a coyote with a chest shot, and any of the guns mentioned will allow a coyote to hit the brush if you flank him or pile onto the solid bone of a front or rear ball joint.

A bullet in the chest that damages the lungs makes a dead coyote, either on the spot or inside of 200 yards if he runs. The people that advocate the various 6 mm's and .25's as a minimum for coyotes are idiots, pure and simple; but, like poor people, God must love them, 'cause he damn sure made a bunch of them. ...

The .17 Remington:

Back
Top Bottom