Coyote almost ran me over!

I was setup calling yesterday. Had a remote caller about 40 yards from me, I was slightly elevated, in full snow camo. I had barely sat down when I see one coming at me, boy are they silent!

He was moving fast, right at me, at 10 yards I broke cover, raised the gun. He bolted, cover was too thick, didn't even get a shot off [sad]

After that there were a bunch of hikers and snowmobilers everywhere, so I couldn't call him back in...

I'm gonna go again today, this time I'm brining a pile of rotting deer guts as bait...yummy!

[sad2]

Keep at it...

I've shot at a few running c-dogs before and never once hit one. Too quick, too low, too smart.

What time of day was it and where was the general area?

B.

Last edited:
Those suckers are popping up everywhere like rats. I almost hit one with my truck last Fall. Here are a few pics I shot of a coyote in Watertown. He was out in a wide open parking lot in broad daylight.
=

Watertown_Coyote1.jpg

=
Watertown_Coyote2.jpg

=

Those suckers are popping up everywhere like rats. I almost hit one with my truck last Fall. Here are a few pics I shot of a coyote in Watertown. He was out in a wide open parking lot in broad daylight.
=

Watertown_Coyote1.jpg

=
Watertown_Coyote2.jpg

=

That's over on river st. They must be living in the woods on the river. Those pics recent?

I had one in my back yard in Wakefield MA in 1993

I have also seen them on the malden/medford line in that barren area that was supposed to be TeleCom city in the last year

I had one in my back yard in Wakefield MA in 1993

I have also seen them on the malden/medford line in that barren area that was supposed to be TeleCom city in the last year

I have them in our backyard in lynnfield, although I have never seen them (i have seen a fox though). I can tell they were there because they crapped in the yard but can't tell otherwise.

Lynnfield would not surprise me as a lot of things wander down the RR tracks from up north. Remember the Moose over at Colonial a few years back?

I was living in Lexington back in 1997 and one walked right thru the yard on a Saturday afternoon while we were out cleaning the car in the driveway.

They are pretty much everywhere.

I grew up in Wakefield. I remember the Moose at the Colonial, I also remember the Moose on Haverhill St. not far from Camp Curtis Guild. We had deer show up in my yard a number of times. Never got a photo [sad]

Lynnfield would not surprise me as a lot of things wander down the RR tracks from up north. Remember the Moose over at Colonial a few years back?

That's over on river st. They must be living in the woods on the river. Those pics recent?

Actually it's Pleasant st. in Watertown. It becomes River st. once you cross the line into Waltham. These pics were taken 12/30/07, but the coyotes are still seen around frequently. I was pretty lucky to get these pics because it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time with a camera handy. [grin]

I remember the Moose at the Colonial, I also remember the Moose on Haverhill St.

Anyone remember the Moose on the loose in Brighton back in the mid 90's?
That was a funny one. I remember the Globe cover photo (in color) the next day showing a Boston PD cruiser chasing the Moose through Cleveland Circle.
They cornered him the next day on Nonantum Rd. by the Pike.
The Environmental Police shot him with a tranquilizer dart and they called Stradium Auto Body for a ramp truck to take him away. They then transferred the Moose into a closed bodied truck for transport to Maine, but the Moose died enroute.
I also remember a similar incident in Rhode Island a few years earlier that ended up the same way for that Moose. Damn shame too. That was the first Moose spotted in R.I. in nearly 100 years and they killed it. [frown]

Upton state forest, 3:30pm or so...

I've decided to stop trying for Upton state forest, I found some other land closeby that seems to be where the wildlife spends most of its time. too many people in upton, the dog and pony set treat it like their backyard...

On saturday, some moron cross country skier came over to my decoy rabbit and kicked it over, and actually picked up my e-call and took off with it! Not only did I have to break cover and start yelling after him, but he took off with it! I wanted to shoot him in the ass I was so mad :) !

Got another story, a guy and his dog walked within 6 feet of me. I didn't want the dog to eat at the bait pile so I moved and alerted them of it. The guy freaked out! I can't blame him I guess , imagine a guy in full snow camo (finally got my white face mask from cabelas!) popping up a few feet from you holding a big ass scoped rifle...

And then there were the weird stares and disapproving looks and questions from other users of the woods (isn't deer season over?) as I walked to my setup...

So the moral is, hunters and other recreational users don't always co-exist (but it's the hunters that are usually the well behaved ones). That's why I don't like hunting state forests..

c'mon, it's just cold!

Ive been dying to get back out but its just been too damn cold. What time were you out?

C'mon man, that's the fun of it! Braving the cold, subjecting yourself to horrible conditions (voluntarily), it makes the result so much sweeter!

I lived near a marsh years back, and there was a pack of them denned almost in my backyard. I'd frequently hear the whole lot of them howling after they'd made a kill. Late one night they went into song right in my yard, and I grabbed my high power flood light and jumped out on the porch. They all stopped howling in unison and just stared right into my light. There were about 7 of them, all healthy looking, just sitting there watching me.

Pretty cool.

And no, I don't shoot them.

Skin em' and tan the pelt...I've never done anything this large before, I did a rabbit fur once just for kicks..

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_fox.htm
7. PELT TAGGING and SALE OF PELTS: All fox, coyote, and bobcat taken or salvaged must be brought to an official check station prior to sale, exchange, disposal, or retention. Fox and coyote must be checked no later than 4 working days (Monday-Friday, except legal holidays) after the close of the season. Bobcat must be checked with 4 days of the date the animal was taken. Lawfully taken animals will be tagged with a locking seal at the check station. The seal must remain attached to the pelt until it is tanned, dressed, or prepared for mounting by a taxidermist. Seals are not transferable. No fox, coyote, or bobcat may be sold in Massachusetts unless tagged or sealed by the state of origin, or another state which has been authorized to do so.

http://www.town.oxford.ma.us/Pages/OxfordMA_Health/coyotes?textPage=1

About Tanning a Coyote the most simple way?

LOTS of good information CLICK HERE

Question can you hunt coyote with a rifle in MA?

Yes, but I think the calibers are restricted to .38 for handgun and .22LR for rifle. This does not mean you can use a .17 or .22 magnum, as those are both larger than the .22LR.

Anyone up for a hunt on these things one weekend? As far as I could tell you just need a hunting license for them with no harvest limit.

Question can you hunt coyote with a rifle in MA?

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_fox.htm

8. HUNTING IMPLEMENTS: It is lawful to hunt fox, coyote, and bobcat with rifles, shotguns, handguns, or archery, provided that:

(a) on wildlife management areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail season, only shotguns and archery may be used;

(b) during the hours from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber, and rifles to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle;

(c) coyote may be hunted with shotgun cartridges loaded with shot not larger than FF, provided that when coyote are hunted during the shotgun deer season, they may additionally be hunted with those shotgun cartridges that are lawful for the hunting of deer (i.e., including buckshot and slugs);

(d) fox and bobcat may be hunted with shotgun cartridges loaded with shot not larger than #1 birdshot.

(b) during the hours from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber, and rifles to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle;

Does this mean you can use pistols or revolvers chambered in .32 H&R Magnum, .32-20, .380, 9mm, .38 Special, .38 Super, .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum or .30 M1 Carbine?

I don't care what anyone says...I have small children and if one of these coyotes shows up in my backyard, it will be shot on the spot with whatever caliber is handy. I think they are beautiful animals and I would feel bad about it, but my kids are more important. There have been one too many reports of these things attacking small kids in the state in recent years.

On the other hand, if they started eating the neighbors cats, I might make an exception. ;)

I don't care what anyone says...I have small children and if one of these coyotes shows up in my backyard, it will be shot on the spot with whatever caliber is handy. I think they are beautiful animals and I would feel bad about it, but my kids are more important. There have been one too many reports of these things attacking small kids in the state in recent years.

On the other hand, if they started eating the neighbors cats, I might make an exception. ;)

On sort of the same note, seeing those pictures, I'm really nervous that my dog would be mistaken for one. I regularly have small children and some parents in Petco/Petsmart mistake her for a "wolf," and I have no doubt that she'd end up shot if she were ever to find a way to get loose. [sad]

A pelt would still be nice...I might find a few uses for one.

Squished said:
Yes, but I think the calibers are restricted to .38 for handgun and .22LR for rifle. This does not mean you can use a .17 or .22 magnum, as those are both larger than the .22LR.
I'm not arguing with you...I'm curious where your info is from. I've always thought the statement on caliber restriction (pupchow posted it) to be somewhat vague.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom