• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cowboy Action

You know, I don't know why. But this is something that I've been thinking about getting into.

Our club is really big into Black Powder and Cowboy. (Mansfield Fish and Game) Anyway, I've been there three years this year and they talk about the cowboy shoots every meeting.

Well, I was talking to the guy that's really big into it, and it sounds like a lot of fun.

Hell, I like to watch Westerns sometimes, and the thought of shooting the same style firearms that they did back then is pretty cool.

I was wondering if there are people here that shoot Cowboy Action, or is this mostly High Power and IPSC?

Anyway, I'm going to try to get to some SASS matches around the area to see what it's like.

Well, I went to my club today to check out the guys practicing. There were about 5 guys there, and maybe 40 guns.

Holy crap do these guys have a lot of "Hardware." But it was really good to try a lot of different pistols, rifles and shotguns to see what I think that I would like.

And, they were all really great. They all told me to just get a belt, and they will loan me everything I would need for several matches so I can make sure that I'm really going to like it. I thought that that was pretty cool.

Anyway, they has several stages set up and I was able to do a couple of run-throughs. I couldn't stop smiling the whole time. Did really well for a newbie.

My times were fairly slow, but I only had a couple of misses. I think that when I start to speed up that will change. I would just have to get used to the different progressions.

I can really see me having a good time with this. Now I just have to sign up for SASS and get me an Alias. I think that I've got that already picked out. The guys there had come up with it.

I figured that there would be a couple of other people on here that were intersted in it.

I think that in two weeks, we're going to Scituate Rod & Gun Club for a match. I don't know if I'll have enough stuff to do that one. But I'll be there to check it out and see a full match in progress.

They suspended the cowboy action here due to lack of interest. It looks fun, is fun, but I'd rather put my "pratice and training" time into IDPA or 3-gun. Same principle of timed shooting and score. Only difference is I use what I'm more likely to utilize in real life.

Still, it doesn't away from the fun aspect of the cowboy thing.

I only got to shoot one match many years ago in Ledyard, CT, but my shift at work changed the next week and I never got to go back.

Most of the people there were shooting either Ruger Blackhawks (back before the Vaquero) or Italian Colt replicas. I opted to shoot a pair of 1858 Remington Army cap and ball revolvers for the fun of it. Someone loaned me an old Winchester Damascus steel 12ga hammer gun and a Henry replica in .44-40.

I had a lot of fun, but I agree that I'll spend my time shooting the guns I depend on to keep me and my family safe. I thought about getting back into it, and had all the guns, too (3 Vaquero's, a Winchester Trails End carbine in .45LC) and I still have my three Winchester 1897 pumps. But, I traded them all off, except for the shotguns, for more modern stuff to play with.

I have absolutely nothing against it, just don't have enough time to do too many different kinds of shooting sports.

Yea, I've never done any Action Pistol. But I do take the guns I carry to the range more than anything.

And I think that any training and practice is good training and practice.

I just went out and had such a good time. I know that more than not shooters are good people. But it was just amazing how many people were willing to just let you borrow their guns and rigs for the match.

I think that my draw is I also like to watch Westerns every once and a while, so that might be some of a draw. :D

And there was something that I just loved about the feel of that single action revolver. Hell, the revolvers I have I shoot Single Action anyway. So it was just comfortable.

And had I know you earlier Hawgleg44, I would have been up for talking about trading. Lord knows that I have a lot of modern stuff.

I see that there's a new member here that's started getting into Cowboy Action Shooting. I think that I saw that his name was The Old Ranger.

Well, if you're here, good to see you around.

If you're see this, where do you shoot out of?

my club does the cowboy thing a few times a year ( bass river rod and gun)
I have to admit it is piquing my curiosity, i will have to go sometime and watch them shoot. I am also picking up a vaquero next week :)

I have to admit it is piquing my curiosity, i will have to go sometime and watch them shoot. I am also picking up a vaquero next week :)

Cross-X said:
I don't wanna be a Cowboy Action Shooter -- I just want all of their cool clothes!

You're a nut. :D

I have them.

Halloweennight002.jpg

I used to be a member at Mansfield and enjoyed Ted and Paul's action pistol shoots but never tried Cowboy. I've also seen the elaborate stage set ups at Manville and Harvard. The dress up part and theatrical aspect is turn-off for me but it looks like 100% fun, fast steel shooting, which I like.

What guns do you need? A period-type shotgun, a lever rifle, and two single action pistols? Or, is it one pistol? How much of a costume is required?

If I can find an amigo (the 4th?) to go with, I might have to try it. Anything that bring shooters and families out to the range like SASS does, deserves support.

I used to be a member at Mansfield and enjoyed Ted and Paul's action pistol shoots but never tried Cowboy. I've also seen the elaborate stage set ups at Manville and Harvard. The dress up part and theatrical aspect is turn-off for me but it looks like 100% fun, fast steel shooting, which I like.

What guns do you need? A period-type shotgun, a lever rifle, and two single action pistols? Or, is it one pistol? How much of a costume is required?

If I can find an amigo (the 4th?) to go with, I might have to try it. Anything that bring shooters and families out to the range like SASS does, deserves support.

C-pher, at the risk of appearing to cast large stone in the direction of the CASS matches, it appears that the steel targets are pretty darn big.

In other words, is a CASS match really about defensive-style accuracy, or is it intended to be all about speed? (I think I know the answer, but I'd like to hear it from someone who really knows)

C-pher, at the risk of appearing to cast large stone in the direction of the CASS matches, it appears that the steel targets are pretty darn big.

In other words, is a CASS match really about defensive-style accuracy, or is it intended to be all about speed? (I think I know the answer, but I'd like to hear it from someone who really knows)

Are the targets all steel? If so, that is nice in that stages must get reset for the next shooter quickly. How many stages are they able to fit at Mansfield (since I'm familiar with that range)?

Are the targets all steel? If so, that is nice in that stages must get reset for the next shooter quickly. How many stages are they able to fit at Mansfield (since I'm familiar with that range)?

At the Mansfield Shoots, we usually have 6 stages. Three before lunch, three after.

Most matches have about 6. Easy to get through 6 in a day. You just move the steel around some during lunch and keep the same props and you have a different stage.

Or just change the senairo.

Yes, all the targets are steel. And some are big, some are small. Some are close, some are far, and bonus shots are usually pretty far and/or small.

Most steel targets are about 15"x15" and then when you get into the rounds, they are about 12". Some of the rounds are 8" at about 30 yards for bonus rounds. It really depends on what the club uses. Some use cowboy shaped steel. Some use the shapes of cards, Spade, Heart, etc...

It really just depends.

SASS is really more about fun and fast times. It's not defensive shooting, but the stages are sometimes set up to sound like they are.

You might have to shoot your way out of a botched bank heist or save your farm from banditos.

But the fun is how they set up the stage. You have to remember which order ot shoot the steel. When to use your pistols, rifle, and shotgun. And sometime you will use one, go to another and then come back to it later in the stage.

It's scored on time and hits/misses, and procedurals. So you have to hit the targets in the order they are intended. And hit them all.

You need two pistols, one rifle, and one shotgun. Most stages will have about 10 rounds pistols, 10 rounds rifle, and 4-6 rounds shotgun.

At the Mansfield Shoots, we usually have 6 stages. Three before lunch, three after.

Most matches have about 6. Easy to get through 6 in a day. You just move the steel around some during lunch and keep the same props and you have a different stage.

Yes, all the targets are steel. And some are big, some are small. Some are close, some are far, and bonus shots are usually pretty far and/or small.

Most steel targets are about 15"x15" and then when you get into the rounds, they are about 12". Some of the rounds are 8" at about 30 yards for bonus rounds. It really depends on what the club uses. Some use cowboy shaped steel. Some use the shapes of cards, Spade, Heart, etc...

It really just depends.

SASS is really more about fun and fast times. It's not defensive shooting, but the stages are sometimes set up to sound like they are.

You might have to shoot your way out of a botched bank heist or save your farm from banditos.

But the fun is how they set up the stage. You have to remember which order ot shoot the steel. When to use your pistols, rifle, and shotgun. And sometime you will use one, go to another and then come back to it later in the stage.

It's scored on time and hits/misses, and procedurals. So you have to hit the targets in the order they are intended. And hit them all.

You need two pistols, one rifle, and one shotgun. Most stages will have about 10 rounds pistols, 10 rounds rifle, and 4-6 rounds shotgun.

It really just depends.

Oh, and about the costume. At the club level, you can get away pretty much not dressed all up.

A lot of people just wear jeans, and maybe a white button down, some cut off the collar. You do need to have a Hat as there are stages that you will need it. But you do have to have a hat, and boots. Other than that, they aren't that strict. When you get ot bigger matches, you need to be in all period clothes.

What I like about SASS shooters is they are very nice. If you break a rifle, I can bet you that someone there will let you use thiers for the rest of the match if you can't get yours fixed.

The first few times that I went, I borrowed everything. I used someone elses Pistols, anoter guys rifle, someone elses shotgun. One guy loaned me a belt and the other had the holsters. Hell, someone even loaned me suspenders at one match.

They are all really good people.

Back
Top Bottom