Cowboy Action Shoots?

Does anyone here attend these events? They look like a lot of fun but I don't have any guns that fit the event.

Is a single action .22 revolver acceptable? Recommendations on a rifle?

there is one coming up soon not to far away. Guess I'll go, to check it out.

Any info is appreciated.

SASS Handbook:
http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/RO/SASSHandbook(15).pdf

Northeast CAS dates:
http://www.northeastcas.com/CASdates.htm

A .22 revolver will not work for competitions. Must be at least.32 cal.
I have been researching and watched a bit of the Great Nor'Easter last year. Seems like a really fun sport. I just can't afford 3 or 4 new guns, holsters, gun carts, and period appropriate attire. Maybe someday...
Everyone I talk to is really great about it, they all say just show up at an event or practice and talk to the participants. Most will give you advice, maybe even let you try their equipment. Good luck.

I'm just starting to get set up for CAS, and the cost is really staggering - too bad, as it must keep a lot of those with interest from getting involved, but I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

If you want to play, you need at least a pair of single action handguns and a holster rig - figure something in the $1200 range (and up . . . way, way up) for that. Then you need a period-correct lever action rifle. Around $1000 or more there. And a period-correct shotgun, perhaps $500 or more, and a shotgun cartridge belt for maybe $100 or so. And of course you need boots, hat, and other assorted period-correct clothing, another few hundred. And a cart to drag all this around in, maybe another couple hundred. And so it goes, with a long list of various assorted doo-dads, none of which are cheap. On top of that, to really be competitive all those guns have to go on a short vacation at the gunsmith's place, at about $300 or more a gun. And if you want to really do it up right in competition categories like Classic Cowboy or B-Western, you're looking at potentially another few to several hundred dollars worth of specialty clothing and accessories. And you'll be burning through ammo like never before, so if you don't reload already you're going to need to start.

It looks to be a great deal of fun, and I'm really looking forward to getting up to speed, but the financial hit is significant.

You can get away cheaper on the firearms. you can buy a steel frame 1858 new army and buy a cartridge cylinder for it about 420.00 for pistol and cylinder, There is a company called EMF that makes great reproductions of Winchester 1892's, some as cheap as 425.00. and you can find coach guns for under 300.00. I've had my holster for years, can't remember the price. Back to the pistol, some shoots let you use cap and ball, so no extra cylinder is neccesary to start with. I use a brass frame that sells for under 200.00. Both my Pistol and 1892 are .44 caliber, so I use the same 160gr cast lead for both.

Last edited:
Lewis Arms in Bow, NH had 5 Puma 92's in .45 Colt in the rack last week for under $600.

They also had a selection of single action revolvers. I didn't look too long once I found the lever guns.

OK here is the least expensive way to get in. Get a pair of 5.5 or 4 3/4 in. Ruger Vaquero's .357's. Used if you can find them or Blackhawks but Blackhawks will limit you to the "modern" class.
Get a Marlin lever action or a Winc 92 replica as a second choice. Unless you find a Uberti replica at a good price. Stay away from Winchester 94's and Big Boy's. They don't function well for pistol cartridges. Ideally also in .357. You may also consider a .44 Magnum or .45 Colt but now you're mixing calibers so you'll need to deal with that.
Any double barrel shotgun will work. Stay with 12 Gauge.

When I started I had a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 and a Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. And a Marlin in .44 mag and a 16 Gauge Stevens double. Little by little I replaced them until I had better guns.

OK here is the least expensive way to get in. Get a pair of 5.5 or 4 3/4 in. Ruger Vaquero's .357's. Used if you can find them or Blackhawks but Blackhawks will limit you to the "modern" class.
Get a Marlin lever action or a Winc 92 replica as a second choice. Unless you find a Uberti replica at a good price. Stay away from Winchester 94's and Big Boy's. They don't function well for pistol cartridges. Ideally also in .357. You may also consider a .44 Magnum or .45 Colt but now you're mixing calibers so you'll need to deal with that.
Any double barrel shotgun will work. Stay with 12 Gauge.

When I started I had a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 and a Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. And a Marlin in .44 mag and a 16 Gauge Stevens double. Little by little I replaced them until I had better guns.

Yep, Good advice!! .44-40 or .45 colt are the top cartridges in true black powder. I like .44-40. It is like shooting a .22LR. Mine has a 24" octagonal barrel and is real good to 100 yards.(6" plate)

DSCF0004.jpg

There's a big cowboy match at Harvard Sportsmens Club June 5 6 and 7. Come to watch or talk to the shooters and check out their guns.

One of the greatest things about CAS shooting is the people. Many are more than willing to let you shoot their guns/use their rigs until you are able to acquire your own. I would suggest that you visit a club in your area (HCG is great) and meet some guys and observe. If you want to come down to CT, we shoot on the second Sunday of every month May-Nov. Observe and help out for a match and meet some guys. Then jump in with both feet, you shouldn't have any problem finding guys willing to let you use their equipment until you can afford your own. We (CT Valley Bushwackers) have a couple shooters that have been shooting for a some time and are now just getting totally set up. For clothes you do not need anything fancy. Work boots are ok to start with, a button down shirt, jeans and of course a cowboy hat (doesn't have to be expensive, straw ok) - mostly now sneakers, tee shirts with logos, ballcaps etc. Got to SASS.net for more details. PM me if interested in shooting with us at Hartford Gun club, and definitely consider coming to Harvard Gun Club on June 5-7 - a great shoot with almost 200 shooters - also lots of vendors for cowboy clothes, etc.

Back
Top Bottom