• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Court Suspends Carry in National Parks

Game on boys! [rolleyes]
The courts are getting involved in the park carry situation. It is a lame ass argument (that the feds didn't carry out an EIS) with which they are claiming the rule is invalid. I am not sure how carrying could bring about an environmental impact and it is absurd on its face, but the courts are now involved so anything goes.

Court Suspends Carry in National Parks

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Today, a federal district court in Washington, D.C. granted anti-gun plaintiffs a temporary restraining order against implementation of the new rule allowing concealed carry in national parks and national wildlife refuges.
Until further notice, individuals cannot legally carry loaded, concealed firearms for personal protection in national parks and wildlife refuges.

The court did grant NRA's motion to intervene in the cases. Under federal law, NRA is entitled to an immediate appeal, and NRA will exercise that right.

"Just as we did not give up the fight to change the old, outdated rule, we will not give up our fight in the courts to defend the rule change," said NRA chief lobbyist Chris W. Cox. "We will pursue every legal avenue to defend the American people's right to self-defense."

ETA: Some links
Temporary Injunction Decision
WaPo article

And if you have to use it you'll be tried by 12 instead of carried by 6.

Ding! I think would rather go to prison and become a prohibited person because of self defense than be gravely injured or killed. My life is worth more than that of some scumbag tryingto take it OR an animal attacking me.

That being said, I never go to National Parks so no crimes have been committed.

Update:

NRA Files Notice of Appeal in Federal District Court to Protect Right to Carry in National Parks

Friday, March 20, 2009

Fairfax, Va. – Today, the National Rifle Association filed a notice of appeal in Federal District Court to oppose a preliminary injunction preventing law-abiding citizens from defending themselves in national parks and wildlife refuges.

Chris W. Cox, NRA chief lobbyist, said, “NRA is moving aggressively to protect this common sense rule and that’s why we filed this notice of appeal today. Just as we did not give up the fight to change the old, outdated rule, we will not give up our fight in the courts to defend the rule change. We will pursue every legal avenue to defend the American people's right of self-defense.”

On Thursday, March 19, Federal District Court Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly issued a preliminary injunction against the Department of Interior rule that took effect on January 9, 2009. The revised rule allowed individuals to carry concealed firearms for self-defense in national parks and national wildlife refuges located in states which allow the carrying of concealed firearms. It also maintained uniformity within each state, making it easier for law-abiding permit holders to follow the laws.

The Brady Campaign and the National Parks and Conservation Association (NPCA) filed suit against the Interior Department rule. Judge Kollar-Kotelly granted NRA “Intervenor” status, allowing participation in the case independently from the Department of Interior.

Back
Top Bottom