Court rules for Newtown Parents. Remington Lawsuit

First of all, he stole the firearm from his mother. The deceptive advertising argument should be completely thrown out as he never purchased it to begin with! Once that goes, PLCAA shields Remington from the rest.
Absolutely! What if he stole that same make and model rifle from a cruiser gun rack or from the trunk of a federal agent's car? Would the manufacturer still be liable? Where do you draw the line?

There is no hopefully here, this is awful. This precedent will now apply to any future cases before SCOTUS ever hears another similar one. It will also embolden others to file similar claims.

We can all discuss the merits of the case: Lanza didn't buy the gun so advertising didn't affect him, etc. but the merits don't matter, all that matters now is what the jury says matters and that will most likely will end with eight or nine zeros after it. Remington is screwed as are the rest of the gun manufacturers.
As long as everyone now understands that we are now OVERTLY a nation of political will and NOT a nation of laws. Covertly, we’ve pretty much always been a nation of political will vs a nation of laws. Now it’s just out in the open.

Laws mean nothing. They’re actually saying this on the other side so act accordingly.

...so does this pave the way to sue carmakers for auto accidents??????
Cutlery manufacturers had better watch their backs, particularly Cold Steel. Lynn Thompson, the company's president, made and distributed a number of DVDs that showed the damage that his products can do. He commented that his knives and swords can easily decapitate and dismember a man with a single blow. I admire Lynn Thompson, but he has to be careful with his advertising. In this hoplophobic political environment, his words may well come back to haunt him.

As long as everyone now understands that we are now OVERTLY a nation of political will and NOT a nation of laws. Covertly, we’ve pretty much always been a nation of political will vs a nation of laws. Now it’s just out in the open.

Laws mean nothing. They’re actually saying this on the other side so act accordingly.
As I have said many, many times before, the progs don't attach fixed meanings to words.

iu

This is why it's impossible to have an intelligent discussion or debate with them - they don't even accept foundational concepts like words having fixed meanings, or logical constructs, or...

They are subhuman animals and frankly deserve to be treated as such.

Last edited:
I think everyone still hates this picture. Does anyone have a rundown as to how the vote came down? Which Justices ruled against Remington?
As far as I know there was no vote. I think it was more of an "we are not going to hear this case". Not sure what the legal term for that is. I can tell you that there were no arguments presented to the court as it is not on the calendar.

It seems to me that this case was a longshot at best since the lawsuit was never heard before a court. The lawsuit doesn't mention the PLCAA it mentions a CT product liability statute. What the anti's are trying to do is do use state safety laws as an end run around the federal PLCAA.

Now on the other hand if a CT court rules that Remington is liable for damages then Remington could invoke their PLCAA protection as a federal law. If SCOTUS didn't hear that case then justice would indeed be blind. I just think that the cert denial just moves the case back to square 1 and it will take years to resolve.

Now starting today if I were a gun manufacturer and coming up with an ad campaign, I wouldn't make a commercial with an operator in tactical gear doing a roll into a shooting position, doing a mag dump all while "Let the bodies hit the floor" is blaring in the background. I got to hand it to the antis they opened up a whole new can of worms here.

"In filings with the U.S. Supreme Court, the Sandy Hook families say Remington "published promotional materials that promised 'military-proven performance' for a 'mission-adaptable' shooter in need of the 'ultimate combat weapons system.' "

Yeah, I'd say the days of correcting people on the mis-use of the term "Assault Rifle" are over.
NO they are not over

Now starting today if I were a gun manufacturer and coming up with an ad campaign, I wouldn't make a commercial with an operator in tactical gear doing a roll into a shooting position, doing a mag dump all while "Let the bodies hit the floor" is blaring in the background. I got to hand it to the antis they opened up a whole new can of worms here.

Just put in an American flag, and something patriotic about our soldiers, and how if its good enough for them its good enough for any patriot. Maybe even say something about how freedom isnt free, its $699 for a good AR... soon to be outlawed!

Using the term "Combat" (Adaptive Combat Rifle) will come back to bite them and the rest of us in the ass. Nobody needs a combat rifle... blah blah blah. Playing the "Assault" rifle/weapon misnomer turnaround won't work when the freakin' manufacturer calls it an Adaptive Combat Rifle.

NO they are not over

“No one needs an Assault Rifle”
”There’s no such thing as an assault rifle”
”Excuse me, I stand corrected. No one needs an ‘Adaptive Combat Rifle (ACR)’; a ‘military-proven performance’ weapon for a ‘mission-adaptable shooter’ in need of the ‘ultimate combat weapons system’. Military weapons don‘t belong in the hands of civilians”
”Semi-auto modern sporting rifles are not military weapons”
”Yes they are, says so right here, look at this ad from the manufacturer...”

The stuff in underlined italics are from Bushmaster ads.

Last edited:
The way I understand it, this isn't a PLCAA issue. They're suing based on some Connecticut law that says you can't promote violence in advertising products and Remington had an ad that explicitly portrayed/described the rifle as being good for killing your enemies.

If that's the case, I wonder why they didn't also name any gun magazines, and publishers in the law suit?

Regarding the ad's themselves, does the prosecution have to show that Lanza saw, and was influenced in any way by the ads,
or is all they have to do is prove Bushmaster/Remington simply violated CT law on a broader scale?

”Excuse me, I stand corrected. one needs an ‘Adaptive Combat Rifle (ACR)’; a ‘military-proven performance’ weapon for a ‘mission-adaptable shooter’ in need of the ‘ultimate combat weapons system’. Military weapons don‘t belong in the hands of civilians”

Spoon fed idiots would believe that horse shit. IT"S A RIFLE ! thats it ! One trigger pull, one bullet, it's just a rifle nothing more, it's sure as shit not any of that non-sense.

1573612329569.png

Did the Romans know Rome was falling, or did it just fall...?

Very good timing for this question.

I believe Romans had a feeling that they have had everything under control since masses were entertained and somehow fed. They also lost their mind and started voting for their favorite gladiators and other entertainers instead of actual leaders.

Where have you been when the world around you has elected to replace models with "the real people"?
Where have you been when companies were taken to court because somebody was not clear that the coffee may be hot and powder may not be good in your internal organs....yada, yada............ We are living in Absurdistan for one full decade already!

We are the last generation with guns. Idiots are coming and it will take few centuries for them to realize that we were having blast while they are having none. Do not worry, they will eventually start some kind of a rebellion, but they will never get back everything we still have today. This is the fact.

Absolutely! What if he stole that same make and model rifle from a cruiser gun rack or from the trunk of a federal agent's car? Would the manufacturer still be liable? Where do you draw the line?

The beauty is in NOT DRAWING ANY LINES! That is where we are today! Man in the women's bathroom? What women's bathrooms? Illegal immigrant killing with his uninsured car some fully insured citizens? What citizens? We are all humans of this world! You will never know where lines are. THEY will arrest you for crossing them, though. Once there is no more logic in the society, you have a chaos and chaos leads to hysterical masses screaming for severe punishment. We will become China in which government workers attend households, send free men into gulags and sleep with their women in order to make them pregnant. We will go even lower than that because 50% of citizens of this country can't think straight anymore and will vote for any $ht.

Law is just a tool. Once fools get hold of it, they can very quickly turn it against normal people. Then we reach that point in which we have to decide to either become fools also or start watering the tree of liberty instead.

Last edited:
Spoon fed idiots would believe that horse shit. IT"S A RIFLE ! thats it ! One trigger pull, one bullet, it's just a rifle nothing more, it's sure as shit not any of that non-sense.

If those spoon fed idiots are the ones making our laws then we have a problem. Ffs I don’t agree with that argument but that doesn’t mean it’s not compelling to a whole lot of people who aren’t as informed or simply don‘t care as much about the issue as we do. So go ahead and post your Fudd pic, waive the Gadsden flag and shout “Shall Not Be Infringed!” and pretend that’ll fix our problems. Remington ran idiotic ads and now we’re about to be beaten over the head with them, but you’re not a Fudd... congratulations :rolleyes:

Where have you been when the world around you has elected to replace models with "the real people"?
Where have you been when companies were taken to court because somebody was not clear that the coffee may be hot and powder may not be good in your internal organs....yada, yada............ We are living in Absurdistan for one full decade already!

We are the last generation with guns. Idiots are coming and it will take few centuries for them to realize that we were having blast while they are having none. Do not worry, they will eventually start some kind of a rebellion, but they will never get back everything we still have today. This is the fact.

THIS

If those spoon fed idiots are the ones making our laws then we have a problem. Ffs I don’t agree with that argument but that doesn’t mean it’s not compelling to a whole lot of people who aren’t as informed or simply don‘t care as much about the issue as we do. So go ahead and post your Fudd pic, waive the Gadsden flag and shout “Shall Not Be Infringed!” and pretend that’ll fix our problems. Remington ran idiotic ads and now we’re about to be beaten over the head with them.

Make no mistake, they would find another Remington or another stupidity which they would convert into reality.

I realized, when I was visiting Gun Show in Wilmington this weekend that our days are numbered. It was like a yard sale. Mostly older men were dragging their feet surrounded by old uniforms, overpriced guns and NO MANUFACTURERS what so ever. You are absolutely right about flags and shouts.

Just to remind everyone the America we have had in 1984:

View: https://youtu.be/a1Bx9nyw35w

Back then we had a solid enemy and Americans defending their country with weapons was in.

Today we have no enemy anymore (or we think we don't). We are pretty confident that if somebody will bother us our great gov will nuke them or at least scare them away with The Mother Of All Bombs. We also think that we can control global warming, world economy and human genders.........We became fools!

As far as I know there was no vote. I think it was more of an "we are not going to hear this case". Not sure what the legal term for that is.
Denial of certiorari. The fate of about 99% of all appeals to SCOTUS.

When cert is denied the losing side points out that SCOTUS made no ruling, and he winning side talks about how SCOTUS ruled in their favor. Both are right in a way.

Last edited:
”Excuse me, I stand corrected. No one needs an ‘Adaptive Combat Rifle (ACR)’; a ‘military-proven performance’ weapon for a ‘mission-adaptable shooter’ in need of the ‘ultimate combat weapons system’. Military weapons don‘t belong in the hands of civilians”

Except an Assault Rifle IS an actual thing.

Assault weapon on the other hand.......

Why is something an Assault Rifle (even the full auto guns that we "assault rifles" before evolving usage of the work changed the meaning, even if we don't like it) just because of its characteristics even if it has never been used in an assault, but a weapon does not become a "murder weapon" until it is used to kill someone?

The Supreme Court ruled against Remington again. Does this mean the lawsuit will continue?

Isn't there an actual law that prevents these lawsuits though? The way I'm reading it is SCOTUS didn't actually vote on the constitutionality of said law?

The court did not rule on anything here, they merely decided not to take up an issue at this time. And they did so without any dissent or other comment. I don't know of many, or even any, PLCAA cases that have gotten this far. The court doesn't see it's job as righting every wrong or saving every kitten in the shelter. We may very well see more of these cases before the court feels a need sort things out. One questionable outcome is not going to make them jump into the fray.

Also, this and other PLCAA cases are not constitutional cases. There was no constitutional issue at stake. This was a case of statutory interpretation. The petition asked one question:

The question presented is whether the PLCAA’s predicate exception encompasses alleged violations of broad, generally applicable state statutes, such as the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act, which forbids “unfair methods of competition and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in the conduct of any trade or commerce.” Conn. Gen. Stat. § 42-110b(a).
And offered three reasons supporting the granting of cert:
  1. The Decision Below Exacerbates An Acknowledged Division Of Authority
  2. The Decision Below Is Wrong
  3. This Case Is An Attractive Vehicle To Resolve An Important And Recurring Issue
Notice that petitioners did not lead with 'the decision was wrong'. I'm not surprised as the QP was kind of wonky.

The full docket including petition, response, replay and amici briefs is here: Search

Back
Top Bottom