• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Couponing for preps

Anyone here into couponing? I don't mean cutting a few out of the paper, I mean the people that get cart loads of stuff for nada.

I've recently been looking into it. There's some forums completely dedicated to it, they do the legwork for you.

Without a simple means to procuring large quantities of coupons, its hard to make it worth the effort. Dumpster diving and badgering neighbors isn't up my alley. My parents did it back when I was real young, when a family friend worked for the globe and would give my dad stacks of coupons.

We get the paper and go through the coups for shit we use or would try. Maybe save a couple hundo a year at best. The biggest cost saver is just stocking up on sale items in general, coupons are just a bonus. Other than rapid perishables, there's very little you should have to buy off-sale... and we have a deep freezer to mitigate even that.

Keep in mind, those TV shows are usually reliant on chains that double coupons... I don't think area chains are ideal for it. I know MB, Walmart, and Hannaford don't do those double up policies. Stop and Shop and Shaw's are just too expensive to go into on their own.

Last edited:
As previously stated, some stores around here do not double coupons - namely MARKET BASKET. A couple weeks ago my girlfriend watched back-to-back episodes of Extreme Couponing. Not trying to discourage you, but there's a lot of leg work to get stuff for free. Stop & Shop Doubles. Shaws/Star does. Hannaford does not.

Look for their coupon policy -

Get a BJs membership, scan the monthly coupon booklet they send you, print up duplicates from BJs.com of the items you want buy multiples, use manufacturers coupons on top of the BJs coupons...that's the only coupon strategy I found that works. Most other strategies seem to be more trouble than they are worth. So far I saved about $200+ from doing this since March. On average I spend $200 a month I think. Split the membership with someone if you're cheap like me. They give you two ID cards. Going to a NH BJs will save you a few bucks in tax also.

Last edited:
Does anybody else watch Raising Hope? Last night's episode was about Virginia using extreme couponing to prepare for the apocalypse. I learned about many new uses for dryer sheets.

It's a dumb show, but it always makes me laugh.

'For the record, her pelvis was already broken when I got here.'

Back
Top Bottom