Couple questions on MA gun laws (Compensator and Mag size)

Ok, I've searched around and never really found a straight answer on the following questions about Massachusetts laws and restrictions:

1) Flash compensator. Leagal or not? (Not flash suppressor or flash hide....Compensator)
2) With a Class A LTC Large capacity no restrictions, What size AR magazine are you legal to have for an AR? Are you still restricted to 10 or can you have a 30?

Thank you!

Ok, I've searched around and never really found a straight answer on the following questions about Massachusetts laws and restrictions:

1) Flash compensator. Leagal or not? (Not flash suppressor or flash hide....Compensator)
2) With a Class A LTC Large capacity no restrictions, What size AR magazine are you legal to have for an AR? Are you still restricted to 10 or can you have a 30?

Thank you!

1) flash compensantor is not a thing. It's either a flash hider, or a recoil compensator.
If it's a flash hider (even if it also has recoil compensator features/effects) it's illegal to possess on any post '94 rifle (that also has another evil feature) If it's a recoil compensator, it's legal on anything even if there's some unintentional flash hiding feature/effect. You can tell the difference by what the manufacturer says it is. (no joke, that's the best legal defense.)

2) you can have any magazines you want, so long as they were manufactured before '94

Thank you!

Never heard the term flash compensator - but a muzzle brake of compensator is ok (needs to be pin/welded). Or get a pre-ban rifle and have whatever you want.

AR (or any hi-cap mags), need to be pre-ban.

Sorry, don't know why I added FLASH before compensator!
Thanks for the info!

So if someone hands you 30 round mags, is there any way of telling when manufactured?

Sorry again if these seem like dumb questions to you...bare with me please. Thanks

Thanks for the info!

So if someone hands you 30 round mags, is there any way of telling when manufactured?

Sorry again if these seem like dumb questions to you...bare with me please. Thanks

Some mags are date stamped, while some mags, like p-mags, didn't exist before the ban and are all post-ban.

Thanks for the info!

- Some preban mags are externally and/or internally dated. Some by code, others by actual month and year of manufacture.
- Many preban mags are not dated at all.
- Some mags were made by companies that went out of business prior to the federal ban (AKA they are all preban)
- Some mag manufacturers existed before, during and after the federal ban.
- Some manufacturers of magazines did not exist until AFTER the ban (AKA they are all post ban).

And to make it all the worse for the consumer, some folks are selling floor plates to preban mags, so I would tread very lightly on purchasing a magazine based just on the stamped name provided on the floor plate.

There are many threads (NES and elsewhere) that go into great detail on these topics. My advice is:

1) Trust but Verify. If you're only defense is "some guy on the interwebs said......"
2) Research, research and more research before you buy and/or bring a magazine into Mass. Ask questions even though some may get all uppity about your questions and terminology. It's better to be mocked by a few than judged by 12. Seriously. It's a straight up felony to have the wrong piece of plastic/ metal in Mass.

55_grain is a good source of pre-ban AR mags, he's in the classifieds.

Or if you ever travel to the south or Texas etc, stop by a gun store and pick them up cheap.

Back
Top Bottom