Couple questions from newer hunter

I grew up hunting in Maine in my teens and early twenties. Only harvested one white-tail, a moose, and a handful of ducks and grouse. Been hunting over hundred times (but over 10+ years ago) and my father taught me proper safety but, life took over and years later I'm in my 30's now looking to get back into hunting in MA where I reside. Until I looked into getting my LTC and and hunting license in MA, I didn't realize how good I had it up in Maine for a variety of reasons. Drive down the road, target practice in an old sand pit. Lots of open hunting areas. Buy whatever you want from Walmart and walk out etc. I like to do things by the book and trying to learn as much about MA rules as possible.

I purchased my first firearm at Kittery Trading Post recently and registered it on the MA hunting portal. This is where I now have a few questions.

1. The sales rep said he thinks this was plugged for 3+1. In MA, is the TOTAL number of shells allowed in the gun 2+1 (3)? Or 3 +1 (4)? If so I will need to remove the plug and find another one, or just only ever put 2+1 shells in? (They were out of 12 gauge besides buckshot so I didn't pick anything up).

2. This is a 28 inch barrel chambered for 2 3/4" and 3" shells. For duck hunting are 3" gauge shells recommended, #2 or #4 shot? I assume 2 3/4" just have less powder behind the.

3. When transporting this firearm to hunt in MA or ME, either the CONTAINER needs to be locked, OR it needs a trigger lock - correct? I bought a cheap zip bag to put it in so I can't lock the cheap zip bag.

4. Duck hunting rules - I'm on the North Shore - as long as I'm on a public marsh and more than 500 ft away from houses...I can try my luck at finding ducks out in the marsh?

5. Anyone know a location with waterfowl or birdshot 12gauge ammo in?

Thank you.

20211023_200754.jpg

#1 The limit of shells in most pumps and auto's is 5. You can have at least 5 in MA (maybe more, I've never used more) for all hunting except waterfowl. Waterfoul must be steel shot and mandated as 2+1 only. Plug must be in place if gun holds over 2 in the mag.

#2 Your talking about Ducks/Geese so I assume that's what your hunting. #2 or #4 is fine. I'd use #4 for Ducks and #2 for Geese. 3" shells for maximum range I assume. I'm not a waterfowl hunter.

#3 Non Large capacity shotguns need to be cased only and not locked in transport. When you leave the car/truck and leave the gun in it, the requirement now becomes storage and you need a locked case. A locked case can be as simple as a zip bag with a ring on the end padlocking the zipper to the ring. It doesnt have to be a hard case, which sounds stupid but that's the law.

I generally carry both in my truck and lay them across the back seat, a zip case for when I'm not stopping and just want to grab the gun quickly, and a hard case, that's also locked to the truck seat, when I need to leave the gun locked up if i need to stop somewhere. If I'm going to go thru the trouble to lock a gun up, its going to be in a hard case, that can't easily be stolen.......that's just me.

No idea on the other two.....I assume your 500 feet away on public land your good to go, but some towns have no discharge laws so you better check them.

Last edited:
as long as I'm on a public marsh and more than 500 ft away from houses...
If you are inland from the first seaward bridge, you must know the local town/city laws on hunting. Seaward of the first inland bridge, you fall under the federal laws.

Don't carry bird shot when hunting ducks, it is steel only and the warden can check what you are carrying. His magnet doesn't stick and you've got a problem.

If you are inland from the first seaward bridge, you must know the local town/city laws on hunting. Seaward of the first inland bridge, you fall under the federal laws.

Don't carry bird shot when hunting ducks, it is steel only and the warden can check what you are carrying. His magnet doesn't stick and you've got a problem.
It's more complicated regarding inland waters. For example, when I visit my brother I hunt a Mass river in a town with a no discharge ordinance, but because the land we hunt is state and federal you are OK.
Regarding non-tox, steel is most common but other non-tox like bi$muth or tun$ten are OK too (and the magnet won't stick). But don't be caught with lead when hunting waterfowl or you will be spending $$$. Note that woodcock, while a migratory bird are not considered waterfowl and thus hunting with lead is OK (unless on property that requires non-tox, like wildlife refuges). Are you confused yet?

I'd like to hunt up in Gloucester. The city ordinance makes it sound like you just can't hunt on Good Harbour or Wingarshaek, doesn't say anything about all the other marshes. I don't know why it's so confusing to figure out where you can hunt in this state.

As mentioned plug in the tube to limit it to 2 rounds there & of course one in the chamber
For steel shot you want 3" shells with 1 1/4oz of shot. I like Federal Black Cloud & by the the time the coastal season opens back up in 4 weeks I'd go with at least #3 shot if available or #2
Modified choke is a good all around for steel

If you end up with Bismuth you go a size or 2 smaller on the shot #, 2 3/4" since the payload is somewhat similar to shooting lead & usually full choke

I grew up hunting in Maine in my teens and early twenties. Only harvested one white-tail, a moose, and a handful of ducks and grouse. Been hunting over hundred times (but over 10+ years ago) and my father taught me proper safety but, life took over and years later I'm in my 30's now looking to get back into hunting in MA where I reside. Until I looked into getting my LTC and and hunting license in MA, I didn't realize how good I had it up in Maine for a variety of reasons. Drive down the road, target practice in an old sand pit. Lots of open hunting areas. Buy whatever you want from Walmart and walk out etc. I like to do things by the book and trying to learn as much about MA rules as possible.

I purchased my first firearm at Kittery Trading Post recently and registered it on the MA hunting portal. This is where I now have a few questions.

1. The sales rep said he thinks this was plugged for 3+1. In MA, is the TOTAL number of shells allowed in the gun 2+1 (3)? Or 3 +1 (4)? If so I will need to remove the plug and find another one, or just only ever put 2+1 shells in? (They were out of 12 gauge besides buckshot so I didn't pick anything up).

2. This is a 28 inch barrel chambered for 2 3/4" and 3" shells. For duck hunting are 3" gauge shells recommended, #2 or #4 shot? I assume 2 3/4" just have less powder behind the.

3. When transporting this firearm to hunt in MA or ME, either the CONTAINER needs to be locked, OR it needs a trigger lock - correct? I bought a cheap zip bag to put it in so I can't lock the cheap zip bag.

4. Duck hunting rules - I'm on the North Shore - as long as I'm on a public marsh and more than 500 ft away from houses...I can try my luck at finding ducks out in the marsh?

5. Anyone know a location with waterfowl or birdshot 12gauge ammo in?

Thank you.

View attachment 535908
My advice is....

If you live on the north shore just buy a non resident nh license and hunt there. That's what I'm doing. f*** this state. I had a ball hunting nh last season and this season and 2022 may be the first year I don't even buy a mass license.

The mass rules and regs on fire arms and hunting are vague and done so on purpose.....to give the popo and the da plenty of room to hang you up.....and in general it keeps mass residents scared of doing certain things.....and also fosters an environment where people make up a ton of shit that just isn't true.....like the 3 shell plug bullshit your guy at kittery told you about. You don't need to plug your gun in mass for any hunting other than Migratory waterfowl.

My advice is....

If you live on the north shore just buy a non resident nh license and hunt there. That's what I'm doing. f*** this state. I had a ball hunting nh last season and this season and 2022 may be the first year I don't even buy a mass license.

The mass rules and regs on fire arms and hunting are vague and done so on purpose.....to give the popo and the da plenty of room to hang you up.....and in general it keeps mass residents scared of doing certain things.....and also fosters an environment where people make up a ton of shit that just isn't true.....like the 3 shell plug bullshit your guy at kittery told you about. You don't need to plug your gun in mass for any hunting other than Migratory waterfowl.
I did get a non resident Maine license this year and pulled a doe permit for where my father lives, so will be spending as much time up there as possible.

I'd like to hunt up in Gloucester. The city ordinance makes it sound like you just can't hunt on Good Harbour or Wingarshaek, doesn't say anything about all the other marshes. I don't know why it's so confusing to figure out where you can hunt in this state.
So you won't hunt. What else?

Back
Top Bottom