couple of interesting SHTF e-books

I haven't read Cold Camp, but reading Lights Out is one of the main things that got me into being prepared!

Interesting read, but a little on the simplistic side... and that author desperately needs an editor. Grammar, spelling and word-choice are horrendous. I question if he graduated... from grammar school, that is. [rolleyes]

Some things that jumped out at me... the militia seems to suffer almost no casualties and they shoot like a movie good-guy, while the Germans shoot like movie bad guys. I'm no vet, but I don't think it happens that way in real life.

I also have to wonder just where the heck he was walking north through MA between Worcester and I-495 that he only had to cross a couple of roads. Has he ever heard of Rt 9, Rt 2, Main St Shrewsbury (which runs from Worcester to Marlborough! - it's freakin' RT 20!!)? I mean, really. Where are all these forests?

Also, it's like he just got tired of writing at the end and finished it up as fast as he could - I almost expected to read "And they lived happily ever after" at the end.

Lights Out is well written and engaging. I'm probably going to read this through to the end.

Cold Camp didn't hold my attention long as it is not written very well.

I've just passed the 40% mark in Lights out and have to say that it has me hooked. I also suspect that either it or Jericho borrowed material from the other. The Clincher was the end of chapter 33. Different characters, same kitchen table.

I have read both, Lights out is by far the better read. Although I agree with Dwarven that Cold Camp is simplistic it was fun enough to stay with to the end.

For a better read on the same subject, pick up "A State Of Disobedience" by Tom Kratman. It's just about as subtle as Cold Camp, but at least the grammar and spelling are well done.

Looks like a good book, and I like this little description from that link..

"About the Author
In 1974, at age seventeen, Tom Kratman became a political refugee and defector from the PRM (People's Republic of Massachusetts)"

[laugh2][rofl]

I read this one pre-Y2K. (Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse by James Wesley, Rawles)
It was an interesting scenario of survival after a major socioeconomic collapse. The novel is sort of a cross between "Lights out" and "Red Dawn", and worth checking out if you are into the genre.

http://www.rawles.to/patriots.htm

I've just passed the 40% mark in Lights out and have to say that it has me hooked. I also suspect that either it or Jericho borrowed material from the other. The Clincher was the end of chapter 33. Different characters, same kitchen table.

I would surmise that Jerico borrowed from Lights Out as the author has been writing it for the past five or six years and has been posting chapters on Fruggal Squirrels until he finished it.

BTW it was a great story.

I finally finished "Lights Out" Geez... what a scenario. I don't see a situation like that being as survivable around here. I certainly couldn't walk anywhere worth going to with the limits that would impose. [sad]

Wow... I'm depressed now...[thinking]

Well, I'm glad some of you liked Cold Camp, at least, as I'm the author. And yes, I did in fact graduate from college, with a degree in history and am doing quite well, thank you for your insightful commentary ;).

I wrote the story on a lark, and intended to make it short. Unfortunately I succumbed to board pressure (Frugals) and added many chapters- which were written hastily. The story ended the way it did because I was looking for an out-and I took it!

Regards,

Tim

I hope I didn't hurt your feelings too bad, Tim. I perhaps could have been a little more tactful... Cold Camp has potential, but I still stand by all my comments, particularly regarding grammar and spelling.

And I still want to know just WHERE he was walking!! I can't figure it out. Of course, I've only been living here 20 years and wasn't raised here, so I'm sure that those routes exist... I just have no clue where.

OK, so I got grumpy when I saw what is potentially a great story bogged down with mistakes - which drags me RIGHT out of the warm glow of enjoying the fiction - and took it out on the story in my post. In my mind, I'm comparing his writing against authors like Heinlein, Stirling, Weber... and he suffered in the comparision.

WITH WORK, and a good editor, he could turn it into a salable story, I'm thinking. But he needs that editor.

Hey, Keith! Get away from that keyboard!

No worries. Just thought you'd like to know I was here LOL.

Compared to Stirling and Heinlein? No matter how it was intended I appreciate THAT comparison.

I did like the story Tim, And I do agree that it has huge potential. I really think it could be a very good story. What I tend to do as I read is almost like making a movie of it in my head, I kind of see the words as a movie so I hate to be disturbed or need to stop reading a story once I start (Yes I do read very quickly, Ex: I read Stephen Kings "Insomnia" in one sitting in an airport terminal ) and I saw a ton of potential in it.

Just finished Lights Out myself and am glad I read it, very entertaining and a good read.

But I just have this urge I can't shake to buy lots of ammo....

Just finished Lights Out myself and am glad I read it, very entertaining and a good read.

But I just have this urge I can't shake to buy lots of ammo....

Yeah... think I'll hit Dicks for some 12 GA slugs tomorrow.

Be werry quiet... I'm huntin' Buicks!

That "Lights Out" was pretty good. Read it not too long ago when it was just completed. Couple things I saw hokey about it, but all in all a fun read.

Curious about the effects of EMP. I thought equipment had to be running for it to be damaged. Does it only effect electronics, or electric items as well (like electric motors)

Just curious, could you take a spare 'brain' for your vehicle (assuming there is just one) and stick it in an anti-static bag inside a metal ammo container in your basement and be assured that it would survive? Would that be all you need or would ignition coils or engine sensors also be an issue?

Anyone know?

Basically (from what I remember from physics 20+ years ago), the EMP induces a current in a wire exactly the same way that a current is induced when a wire passes through a magnetic field. So unless the circuitry is heavy duty enough that it can stand the surge (tube electronics are, transistors are not), I think that even with the equipment off it would still get fried.

Anti static bag wouldn't help; metal ammo canister might. A faraday cage would definitely help.

That's pretty much what they told us in class Ross. That unless the equipment was made to handle a huge surge it will get fried.

The only thing I did not care about in Lights Out is we never really learn who did what to cause the EMP.

Also what kind of "thing" could cause an EMP to wipe out the entire country?

The only thing I did not care about in Lights Out is we never really learn who did what to cause the EMP.

Also what kind of "thing" could cause an EMP to wipe out the entire country?

http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/emp.htm

The pulse can easily span continent-sized areas, and this radiation can affect systems on land, sea, and air. The first recorded EMP incident accompanied a high-altitude nuclear test over the South Pacific and resulted in power system failures as far away as Hawaii. A large device detonated at 400–500 km over Kansas would affect all of CONUS. The signal from such an event extends to the visual horizon as seen from the burst point.

High altitude, high yield EMPs are very bad news...

Back
Top Bottom