• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Couple files suit in gun-range dispute~ Guns noisy

Reply filed in gun-range lawsuit

May 12, 2010

Save PARIS — Property owners near a shooting range in Waterford have no grounds to sue the club that maintains the range, a lawyer has asserted in an answer to a lawsuit.

John and Debbie Howe filed the suit against the Waterford Fish and Game Association, which has a shooting range on Route 118. The couple says the gunfire levels at the range were insufficient to disturb them when they moved to the area in 1976, but became a nuisance after 2007.

The Howes lodged several complaints with the town's Board of Selectmen and formed a group titled the Waterford Noise Abatement Coalition before filing the suit. They claim that the range has seen increased use after an expansion, that it is being used in the early morning and late evening hours, and that the increased usage of shotguns and automatic weapons is audible from their farmhouse and property on McIntire Road.

READ MORE

Don't most ranges have elected officers, hold meetings, take minutes, pay bills, property taxes, insurance, liability, grounds keeping, etc? Wouldn't that be proof that the place was in operation?

Mr. Howe did make his appearance at the range two weeks ago trespassing on Club property.

While doing so, asking for our names and where we live, he disturbed the peaceful practice of our rightful hobby and employment.
Mr. Howe has no regards for other peoples rights, nor respects other property. I have a video showing Mr. Howe doing so.

Also it is my understanding, that Mr. Howe bought the property in 1976, but not move there until 2006.
If the court will proceed with this case, I hope that Mr. Howe will be hold responsible for the damages he inflicted!

An email from a club member~

Mr. Howe did make his appearance at the range two weeks ago trespassing on Club property.

While doing so, asking for our names and where we live, he disturbed the peaceful practice of our rightful hobby and employment.
Mr. Howe has no regards for other peoples rights, nor respects other property. I have a video showing Mr. Howe doing so.

Also it is my understanding, that Mr. Howe bought the property in 1976, but not move there until 2006.
If the court will proceed with this case, I hope that Mr. Howe will be hold responsible for the damages he inflicted!
Then have him arrested for trespassing and send him a letter telling him since he is not a member he is not welcome at the club. Let him know you mean business. Beat him at his own game.

An email from a club member~

Great, they have been spending 30 years dreaming of this utopian retirement that didn't exist and when they got here, they get the reality and sue others. Maybe they should have spent some time there before moving in...

Have the Howes been served with a formal no-trespass notice? If so, you can prosecute the next time it happens. If not, ask you club attorney about the strategic merits and drawbacks of having such a notice served.

It seems Mr Howe drove by the range yesterday while we were shooting skeet. My guess is he knew it was Thursday and didn't hear any noise, so he drove by to make sure we were o.k.

I found this line to be interesting:

So does this mean they're only using 16, 20, 28 and .410 gauge shotguns on the new skeet range?
Sounds kind of silly to me, at least 80% of the skeet shooters I know use 12's, including myself.

Actually the majority use 20 ga. I my self use 28. There are some 12's but not as many as the other smaller gauges.

If you don't like the sound of gunfire, then don't live near a shooting range. This seems pretty simple, but the issue came up in my town as well. The club is one of the oldest in the Northeast and predates any residential dwellings in the vicinity.

If you didn't know you were in the proximity of a firing range, it is really on you for not doing your homework prior to purchasing your property.

Mark L.

Gee, do you think they`re Ma**h***s?

Hey, hey, hey, don't lump these idiots in with Ma**h***s. I'm a proud Ma**h*** that has a lot of family in the N. Waterford area, and I love that part of the world for exactly what it is. Some of my best memories growing up were snowmobiling through the trails that seem to go everywhere, and racing around the fairground, and shooting in the sand pits because it was a perfectly normal and acceptable thing to do. Some of the greatest people I've ever met in that part of the world. These clowns bringing the frivolous lawsuit DO NOT seem to be the kind of people I'd expect to encounter up there, but don't lump them in with the rest of us from Mass!

Ya and Im gonna buy a house next to the airport, and complain that the planes are too loud............

Actually, this has happened more than you know...it essentially what happened to NAS Miramar in San Diego, although it was actually scaled back, not closed completely, under the guise of military funding cutbacks.

A fact has been left out of this thread. When the people moved in the noise was not a issue as there was a thickly wooded area between the complainants and the range. That lot has been forested ( that means they cut the trees down ) so now the noise is much greater. The property owners did not have this noise problem before the trees where felled.

A fact has been left out of this thread. When the people moved in the noise was not a issue as there was a thickly wooded area between the complainants and the range. That lot has been forested ( that means they cut the trees down ) so now the noise is much greater. The property owners did not have this noise problem before the trees where felled.
Then let them sue the company that paid to cut the trees down and make them glue them all back together....haha.
I'd be happy to live next to a range, at least I know I'd be in the company of "good" people.

Then let them sue the company that paid to cut the trees down and make them glue them all back together....haha.
I'd be happy to live next to a range, at least I know I'd be in the company of "good" people.

Whoa, BAD idea!

Considering my cousin owned a logging company that worked that area.
Then again, what was the timeframe? I might have helped skid some of that timber out...

Back
Top Bottom