Couldn't decide between Mini-14 and AR15

Here's the twins...

IMG_2395.jpg

I love them each in their own way.

Yes, its a brand new Mini-14. The AR15 is 'pre owned'.

I bought my AR first and then my Mini. The Ruger was a good deal and a preban so I thought what the heck. Factory side folder how could I say no? The one regret with the Ruger is finding good mags for it. Any thoughts on where to get high caps that work (most of the time at least) would be appreciated. I do however like to shoot the AR more so the mini sits alot but I still would like some good magazines.

I also would like to know about getting good quality higher capacity magazines. I have a couple from various sources, but would like to have something with known reliablity.

Where are you located? You could probably meet up with a member or two on here who owns both for you to try.
Located in Maura's office? Ever since I got my ARs the mini14 has only been out of the safe once. Once was more than enough to annoy the hell out of me LOL. I put it back into its "casket."

Located in Maura's office? Ever since I got my ARs the mini14 has only been out of the safe once. Once was more than enough to annoy the hell out of me LOL. I put it back into its "casket."

Unlikely. He necro'ed an old thread, asked about renting, and said "I'm in the market." Seems more advanced than what an anti-gun intern would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had both, and I think I like the mini-14 more. When I looked at my ARs I got very intimidated, and I felt like it might start killing people, including me, at any moment. It's an automatic assault rifle used in 99% of the crime in the US, you know!

Seriously, though, I love the mini-14 rotating bolt and look. I have the tactical version, so I can still get a gun woody. It's not like it's the wood stocked ranch dressing model.

One thing I really liked about the Mini was the shooting experience. Very soft shooting and an amazing crisp trigger. Comfortable to quickly shoulder and obtain cheek weld. Great weight balance as well. The AR may be "go-to-war", but the Mini is better at the range.

One thing I really liked about the Mini was the shooting experience. Very soft shooting and an amazing crisp trigger. Comfortable to quickly shoulder and obtain cheek weld. Great weight balance as well. The AR may be "go-to-war", but the Mini is better at the range.
We got the latest version of the stainless Mini 14 ranch rifle for my wife. We have FIDs and my wife cannot handle the recoil of the buckshot and slug-loaded 12 gauge 870s that I keep for home defense. Stainless Mini 14 ranch is our solution. We keep several 10 round mags fully loaded with M193 ball, included one in the rifle, in a quick-access Vline Closet Vault safe along side one of my fully loaded 870 tactical shotguns. FID legal and very effective home defense.

Everyone loves to shit all over Mini14s as being "Minute of Barn". All I know is that back in the early 80's, in order to qualify to purchase a DCM Garand, you had to compete in a High Power Rifle shoot. At the time I didn't own anything semi auto with a detachable mag, so I borrowed a friend's mini. I placed 14th in a field of 50, shooting iron sights at 100 yds, with a rifle I had never fired before. Years later I traded a series 70 1911 for a stainless GB LEO rifle and I love it!

Any one know where someone can rent and shoot both? I'm in the market for a mini 14 or an Ar15 Other

Where are you located? You could probably meet up with a member or two on here who owns both for you to try.

This. There's a ton of us here who have both and would be happy to let you try them.

I like my Mini, but I've also probably put as much into the gun as what it cost to buy it. It really does need some love and investment to make it a good rifle.

On the other hand, ARs can be bottomless money pits, too. :rolleyes:

OP, you blew it! You could have bought one of them there AR-14 killing machines that Joe Biden is talking about. The ones that killed 650 million Americans last year alone.

In real life...you done good.why have peanut butter or jelly, when you can have Peanut Butter and Jelly.

Back
Top Bottom