1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Could you survive Off Grid?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by OutdoorFanatic, Mar 26, 2017.

1. BlackwaterFence

BlackwaterFence NES Member

Nice cabin. Hiking in looks labor intensive. Why not develop an access road?
    I am thinking this would be in the Survival Forum.

2. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

Roads lead the way

3. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

You pull a permit on that? [rofl]

4. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

not sure what it would take to actually SURVIVE forever off the grid. Would need a number of guns, multiple copies of tools, potentially needed medicines (which would have expiration dates), canning supplies, a shit ton of gardening supplies, a temperate climate with which to grow stuff in the garden, and on and on.

You would really miss gas for your chainsaws and UTVs to haul wood supplies in from the wayback.

If i were a crack hunter, and really good at foraging wild foods in the woods....maybe....
    but you would suddenly have a woods full of other hunters trying to survive too. Your wilderness would look like harold parker state forest on deer season opening day

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  5. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

SHTF = Scotch Helps the Fun

1 person likes this.
  6. SHOCKNAWE

SHOCKNAWE

Nice idea but when the lights go out and the grid goes down there will be no chance anyone will be getting to there bug out cabin deep in the woods. I keep adding to my supplies and will be bugging in, I have great neighbors on a long dead end street and will take my chances where I am.

2 people like this.
  7. VetteGirlMA

VetteGirlMA NES Member

When we had that big snowstorm in 2011 on Halloween, the area I live in was without power for about 10 days. A few observations I noted during this time:

With no gas to be pumped, there won't be many people driving around. Gas becomes a precious resource immediately.

It didn't take very long without power for the food to go bad.

There is nothing in this world like a good old fashioned wood stove when the power goes out. One can run a generator all they want, but it's really tough to beat a good fire. A cord of wood will heat my entire house for a good 4-6 weeks depending on the temperature.

Life starts sucking hard without hot water. Some ingenious people have also figured out how to use the surface heat of a wood stove to heat water for the water tank. Since that time, it's always been something I have thought about.

I don't think that survival in a SHTF scenario means running to some remote cabin in the woods. I think a lot of those billionaire bunkers would be filled with the corpses of dead billionaires after a couple of months underground. I don't think many people have the level of survival skills necessary to keep going and that familiarity with the terrain is key. I may not know how to grow food, but I know where the closest farm is, and the closest apple orchard and the closest dairy, etc.

8. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

I'd probably bug in: water, power, heat, access to hunting and fishing while they last, garden. Pretty much everything I need if the lights go out. Drop me off in the woods and I'd be fine too- I've done it a few times. Would really be a challenge with a family, however. Anyone with a spouse and young kids needs a lot more planning than I would need for myself.

I disagree that getting to a bug out cabin would be a problem. I think it will be a piece of cake, so long as one has enough fuel to get there. Leave early and if not go during off hours. If SHTF happens, how many people are going to want to be out on the highways? How many people who CAN leave the big cities? And of those who can, how many have a reason to evacuate? How many will want to leave at 3am? People are lazy, even when things are bad...

Everyone thinks that SHTF means that every community will immediately go full 'tard. I don't think so. That's HUGE fantasy. Best example of reality that we have in recent history was Hurricane Katrina. We had a lot of family involved and know the situation. The areas with big concentrations of lowlifes went batsh!t crazy almost immediately, while the nice communities hunkered down then helped each other out.

9. SHOCKNAWE

SHOCKNAWE

Honestly as soon as the toilet paper runs out most people will then be on there way out.

10. robjax

robjax

I would like to think I could survive off the grid. But a wise man once said...." a man's got to know his limitations". That would be Clint in Magnum Force.

So much goes into this. We have been so spoiled with luxuries it's not funny. Even hunters today typically get their deer or other animal and they cut it up and put it in the freezer. Off the grid means no electricity or if you are fortunate enough to have a power generator of sorts my guess is you would have a limited supply. And as such probably will only use electricity for lighting or other basic emergency needs/issues.

So refrigerating meat would probably not be on the list. So you need to know how to cure your meats for storage. Canning would be big again. You would need a root cellar.

So the food supply and stores would be paramount next to shelter and heat.

These are skills I need to acquire or I would need to make other plans in a SHTF situation.

The other thing is knowing what the body needs to survive . So vegetation is as important as animal protein. Soap for cleaning yourself and clothes. Will need a rock or a wash board. material for clothing. Those jeans will last a long time but not forever....shoes????

Things we are not used to being without. How about a water supply? A clean fresh water supply. Most if not all of the Massachusetts fresh water is not drinkable. I suppose if you head out to the quabbin area. But even that is filtered rigorously before is is piped into homes. Not sure if those survival filters will clean it up enough to consume...

Anyway, lots to think about and plan for.

But I think the first rule of survival is figuring what you need and then learning what you don't know. Otherwise we are all just scroungers if it comes to that....

11. ma_farmer

ma_farmer NES Member

And why would the closest farm be interested in supplying you?

Part of my SHTF plan is that I'll use my inventory to supply myself.

And if you are in that "I'll just take it crowd", well let's just say I don't do 5.56, .308 is the real thing.

12. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

5.56 will do the job.

13. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

Spot on !

14. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

in a true SHTF, this is what you will need to deal with, gangs of this type and so on.

[video=youtube_share;5wmJG4wn-_M]http://youtu.be/5wmJG4wn-_M[/video]

15. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

ATVs and dirt bikes? You'll hear them coming from miles away.

Drop a white pine across the road, settle into your prepared sandbagged positions with interlocking fire, and those city punks won't last 5 minutes against the first group of local yokels' "deer rifles" they cross paths with.

1 person likes this.
  16. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

Yes, I get it, but it is still a threat to deal with.

17. Choctaw

Choctaw NES Life Member NES Member

18. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

True, and it's a good reason to set up as far away from "The City" as you can get. If your redoubt is within a day's march of someplace like Baltimore, you are in trouble.

I hate the abuse of the phrase "Normalcy Bias", but after TEOTWAWKI, I suspect that will work in your favor -- it won't be until everything in the cities is consumed or burned that the gangs will realize civil authority truly is not coming back and start to put any effort into moving out into the countryside. Set up far enough into the boonies and their enthusiasm and manpower will mostly have burned out by the time they get to your neck of the woods.

19. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

If and when this ever happens TEOTWAWKI, I will be very deep in the woods with lots of surprises. God forbid we ever get there.

20. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

The things about these threads (not the OP) that never ceases to amaze me is that many think 'you can bug out to the woods' if SHTF.

You can't.

Those woods belong to people already. With mine, I have a deed to prove it. I also have the means necessary to protect and retain it.

Water 3 ways, dug well, pond at bottom of property and a spring that at least trickles 24/7/365 even in August drought and February freeze.
    125 acres of hardwood - for whatever I need to grow or harvest for heat. Stabilized fuel, chainsaws, chains, oil for at least 2 seasons' worth of cutting.

If you find my road, and then find my driveway, and then come to the house, I will see you coming. And since you won't know where the coms are to announce yourself, and you ignored the no trespassing and the range marker.......it will be a 3200FPS reception

21. robjax

robjax

In a full blown SHTF situation that deed will protect you about as well as restraining order protects an abuse victims.

1 person likes this.
  22. todd c

todd c

im just going to live off all the liberals in my area as long as possible. it will be alot more fun than hiding out in the woods

23. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

My point is without the rule of law, no tresspassing signs will have the same effect

m193/m855 will be the enforcer

24. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

You think you are the only one with the means to survive in the woods? Those woods already belong to people and the deed comment [rofl]

1 person likes this.
  25. wahsben

wahsben NES Life Member NES Member

What if they don't come by the road and your driveway? [wink][smile]

- - - Updated - - -

Good job OP. It's nice to have options.

1 person likes this.
  26. frenchman

frenchman NES Member

I'm sure that .308 will look good in my collection, after I shot your central nervous system into the next county.

1 person likes this.
  27. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

Arrive from any other direction, and you don't get the courtesy of a warning shot -- assuming my neighbors don't get you on your way across their farms.

28. W.E.C

W.E.C NES Member

God, this lone gun. Eat pine cones, stave off the zombies shit is just embarrassing to reality.

29. wahsben

You'll probably have a better chance than most with you and your neighbors working together as long as you all have an adequate amount of supplies for the duration of the crises. If all of you don't there will be big problems.
    A good book to read is A Failure of Civility.

30. wahsben

What if I'm one of your neighbors? Do you have enough people available to stand guard 24/7. What if it's dozens or hundreds of people coming? Do you have night vision and thermal imaging? Do you have enough supplies to last the duration of the crises? What if one of your neighbors who you trust comes over but they've run out of supplies so they're not there to visit and by the time you realize it, it's too late. There's all kinds of scenarios. Whatever people choose to do it will only have a good chance of working if your preparations fit the situation you are in.
    I most likely will be bugging in if I'm in if and when it happens but if I'm not in there will be problems and if I have a friend or friends that have a better location etc. and I can get there I'll head there. People of like mind working together will have the best chance of long term survival.

1 person likes this.