• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Could it be, politicians who "get" the illegal in illegal immigration?!

Chuck

NES Member
Councilors want to pay immigration to come to Marlborough

MARLBOROUGH - City councilors want federal customs agents to establish an office here and arrest and deport illegal immigrants living in the community.

The council wants to know whether it can use city funds to pay the cost of establishing a local U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement office. Last night, it voted to ask Mayor Nancy E. Stevens to investigate the matter and report back within 90 days.

"I think it is time we local officials try to get something done," said Councilor Paul Ferro, who co-sponsored the request with City Council President Arthur Vigeant.

"Not only can we send a code enforcement officer, but we can also solve the problem long term, by removing it."

That problem consists of "overcrowding," "disease," and "neglect of property," Vigeant said. "Maybe they just haven't assimilated to our community, and they're doing things a little bit differently."

Ferro envisioned ICE agents prosecuting and deporting illegal immigrants as a follow-up to code inspections. Inspectors responding to a complaint often flag criminal activity for police to follow up, but police have no power to prosecute immigration crimes.

Additionally, Vigeant hopes to bring forward an ordinance preventing illegal immigrants from doing business with the city by requiring valid Social Security numbers on all vendor applications.

Maura Webster was the only councilor to vote against sending last night's request to Stevens' desk.

"I think a lot of people blame everything on one segment of the community, which isn't fair," she said after the meeting, adding that some of the problem properties in her ward are owned by citizens and lifetime Marlborough residents.

Stevens declined to comment on the idea of importing federal agents, until she has had time to review its impact and feasibility. "There were some good points raised tonight," she said.

(Galen Moore can be reached at 508-490-7453 or [email protected].)

==============================

I know as I resident I'm sending my congrats to the signers, and boos to Ms. Webster.

-= Chuck

Back
Top Bottom