• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Could everyone please stop stockpiling ammo!

Shortage where?

img0038rj7.jpg

What time does your store open?

Hey dude I'm new to shooting pistols and 9mm. But even before the madness (last fall) I could not get 9mm ammo at decent prices at Dicks or Wally World in the weight I wanted (124 grn). I started buying on line in quantity I wanted to get decent prices. that worked until the madness. If you want to be free reload. But if you are only shooting 2 boxes a month and you are buying retail well thats what you get the scraps.

PS if you look hard enough and you have a friendly FFL you can get it but I'd buy 1000 rds min at a time. Good luck.

I think the craziness is a good thing, the more stories about police departments being short on ammunition because of civilian craziness the more reservations they may have in trying to trample us. The fact the O'fascist even mentioned something about the buying hysteria should tell you they are somewhat paying attention.

Been buying since 08 myself. Its within the law and stored properly. Trust me, I have seen some pretty intense hoards that would make mine look like a trip to the range for a day.

Use and replace, although the replace is getting harder as we all know.

Last edited:
Shortage where?

img0038rj7.jpg

Damn, dude!

I thought I was doing pretty well with ~1800 rounds of 9mm, 800 rounds of .45, ~2000 rounds of 5.56/.223, and twenty-odd boxes of shotgun ammo. That's just target ammo. Have a few boxes of PD/HD ammo in each caliber, too.

I scored a big 2000-round box of M-22 .22LR at Dick's yesterday, which when added to the few boxes of .22LR I had, should hold me for awhile. I had a coupon!

Been buying since 08 myself. Its within the law and stored properly. Trust me, I have seen some pretty intense hoards that would make mine look like a trip to the range for a day.

Use and replace, although the replace is getting harder as we all know.

Yup. AR15 forum had a thread a while ago, I was shocked when I saw full rooms of ammo/uppers/ you name it. I should PM those guys... [laugh]

Not if he has a storage permit, then its 50,000.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

I think it's 30,000 Rim, 30,000 Center & 10,000 with a permit. But, that's only in Mass.

Seriously though, now you know why guys were buying up pallets of ammo last year.

Al, is this directed at me, I'm still a little sensitive from last week.

Hoard ammo?

The last time I stocked up, it was when Oxbow Sports was going out of business.

Stood there with a few empty milk crates and a big wad of cash, playing lets-make-a-deal with what he had left on the shelves.

I left with half a wad of cash and a a bunch of full milk crates.

This is why I started reloading. Fruitless trip after fruitless trip to Walfart and I gave up. Now I have to be careful when I open the safe or a couple hundred rounds of 9mm might fall out on my head. [smile]

Now, I can't say the same for any other caliber [sad2]

Redding .223 dies will be here tomorrow [smile]

Slim supply of certain components [sad2]

Guess I'll have to shoot more .45 [smile]

And less .22 [sad2]

Try to find small pistol primers, nope, no more avail anywhere. I bought 14,000 before supply dried up. No 9mm brass online either.

Shortage where?

img0038rj7.jpg

Dude, if that's a pic of your actual horde and you are a MA resident, you might want to put locks on those ammo cans; cops ever come into your house (for whatever reason) and they see that, you're toast. Not being critical, just a friendly observation from a fellow gunner!

Seriously guys, I can't even feed my kids. I have 3 hungry 9 mils that have not eaten in over a month. I'm down to carry ammo.

You think that's bad? I have had a new 92FS since the Dec. gun show in Plymouth that I traded my old carry piece toward AND i HAVEN'T EVEN SHOT IT YET!!! I just can't bring myself to go plink with $1rd. carry ammo.

Don't blame me either, prices are so crazy I am selling off what I have been slowly buying over the past few years. Are the prices I am asking for high? Yes but people are buying and I am taking a chance on the future.

Plus one less person you are competing with for cheap ammo or AR's

Someone make more ammo and sell it! This is simple supply and demand. There's a lot of money to be made if the big ammo companies would get their arses in gear and up the output. Hire more American workers and go go go!

Damn, dude!

I thought I was doing pretty well with ~1800 rounds of 9mm, 800 rounds of .45, ~2000 rounds of 5.56/.223, and twenty-odd boxes of shotgun ammo. That's just target ammo. Have a few boxes of PD/HD ammo in each caliber, too.

I scored a big 2000-round box of M-22 .22LR at Dick's yesterday, which when added to the few boxes of .22LR I had, should hold me for awhile. I had a coupon!

I have almost that much just loaded in mags. It's a good start though.

The more you buy/reload, the more you realize you can't really have enough.

There's the old "3 days away from anarchy" that usually is applied to people's food cupboards. I would apply that same logic to your ammo supply and stack it deep.

Last edited:
I think the craziness is a good thing, the more stories about police departments being short on ammunition because of civilian craziness the more reservations they may have in trying to trample us. The fact the O'fascist even mentioned something about the buying hysteria should tell you they are somewhat paying attention.
+1
Plus hoarding feels fun! No, I don't have 50,000 rounds of center fire ammo.

Back
Top Bottom