Cost to start reloading.

Recently picked up a 44 magnum carbine. And had sticker shock when I went to purchase ammo. Decided this might be the caliber that causes me to learn to reload. Trying to figure out what a basic reloading set will cost me and what can I realistically expect to pay if I reload my own 44 magnum. Unfortunately I'm unable to use cast bullets so I'm stuck with JHP or semi jacketed soft points or fmj

Depends on weather you single stage or progressive. I went progressive and bought a Dillon 550. You'll need some ancillaries, like a primer flip plate, primer tubes, vibratory cleaner, media separator, strong mount, case gage, etc. You can price this stuff out on Dillon's site.

Yeah 44 mag pays off big time. My 240 gr JHP/JSP loads run me about $12-$13 per 50. If I use a plated bullet, it's even less.

Yes seeing $50 per 50 blew my mind. The only caliber I plan o reload will be the 44 magnum. Will a single stage press work well enough.

When I started a couple of years ago I bought a Lee turret press and dies for 45 acp and 9mm. I bought enough brass to get me started then started using range brass. I figured that I broke even at 1000 rounds. I'll work up to a progressive eventually, but I'm able to make 200 rounds/hour which is fine for now. Rifle rounds take a lot longer due to case prep.

I buy my bullets from a company (pm me if you want info) that allows you to ship back brass for credit. Currently its $1.45/lb, but its been in the $2.70 range not that long ago. So I'll collect brass at the range which allows me to get the projectiles relatively cheaply.

They also sell primed .223 brass, which don't need to be prepped, just loaded.

Overall, I shoot more and I'm saving a ton of money. And I enjoy it.

Good luck.

Yes seeing $50 per 50 blew my mind. The only caliber I plan o reload will be the 44 magnum. Will a single stage press work well enough.

I jumped into a progressive press a few years back when I was only loading 357 mag and 9mm. Glad I did because I can crank out large volumes of ammo quickly. But yes a SS press would be fine just slower. If you're shooting 100-200 rounds of 44 mag a week, a SS might be too slow?

But if you think you may reload other calibers down the road, and see yourself shooting often, I'd get a progressive. If you're shooting 100-200 rounds of 44 a month, then a SS would be perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

That is all I have and have survived for 30 plus years.

This is what you need plus dies to get going.

https://www.natchezss.com/rcbs-spec...ntLink&utm_medium=40661&utm_campaign=55097-NA

Dean

Pretty solid setup there.

Thanks for the advise on the press. As of now I only plan on shooting maybe 100-200 a month. I only get to go to the range once a week and I tend to spend most of my time shooting my .223 and my .17. How many time can you reload the same brass

I shoot .243 and it's right up there in price with the 44 Mag. I use a SS to reload and it works great. My volume is low, in that I shoot maybe a 100 rounds a month of .243 and the SS does just fine for me.

Thanks for the advise on the press. As of now I only plan on shooting maybe 100-200 a month. I only get to go to the range once a week and I tend to spend most of my time shooting my .223 and my .17. How many time can you reload the same brass

I'd guess I'm up to about 12 reloads with 44 mag brass and still going strong. You can reload them many times over but max charges of powder will cause more stress than lighter loads of course. All my 44 mag loads are near max and haven't had any issues yet.

Cheapest .44 mag FMJ's I've found locally are at Walmart in Westfield.

I love shooting .44's, probably shot 200 today. Your money will go a lot farther if you reload.

I really like having a variety of loads too. Sometimes I'll shoot a lot of hot 185gr XTP's and other days I'll plink with some light cast .44 Specials.

well not sure on what loads i would use. I know for a fact the rifle won't shoot wadcutters (won't fit in the magazines) and it won't properly cycle with aliumunun cased ammo. And from my readings on different forums using cast bullets is a no go and they clog up the gas tube. So I'm stuck shooting heavier loads. Most likely 240 grain semi jacketed soft point. I'd like to try and shoot the hornady lever evolution out of it as well

i reload 44 mag and sp on a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme single stage kit.

I might go progressive some day but I like it.

edited for derp

Last edited:

Many variables in answering that question, anywhere from 2-20 times? lol

well not sure on what loads i would use. I know for a fact the rifle won't shoot wadcutters (won't fit in the magazines) and it won't properly cycle with aliumunun cased ammo. And from my readings on different forums using cast bullets is a no go and they clog up the gas tube. So I'm stuck shooting heavier loads. Most likely 240 grain semi jacketed soft point. I'd like to try and shoot the hornady lever evolution out of it as well

I would just stick with the 240 gr JSPs. That should run you no more than $13 per 50.

- - - Updated - - -

i reload 44 mag and sp on a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme single stage kit.

I might go progressive some day but I like it.

FIFY

Last edited:
I reload all my .44MAG on a Hornady Lock N Load classic single stage press. It really keeps me honest and alert as opposed to cranking out ammo. However now that I reload 4 other calibers its becoming a pain. I recently did some 180gr XTPs with 30gr of H110 powder and some 300gr XTPs with 18.5gr of H110. For the 180XTPs I have also used CFE pistol and it worked really well. I believe it was 14gr.

This has served me though the few years I'm reloading:

$65, it also has a priming feature. Deprime/resize using the die on the up stroke, and prime on the down stroke. Lee's "Challenger Breech lock Press".

I like the single stage due not to the more methodical process, each round I load gets its due attention.

One day I may get a progressive, I'm glad I listened to a friend's advice and started with a single stage though, and recommend so to others, any time.

Should cost around $65. Set of dies $40(?), Trimming method can range between $10-50(unless you go crazy).
After the above it's all brass or consumables, and you're ready to reload.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I got a Lee classic 4 hole Turret last year, cast 44mag runs me about $8- $9 /50rds. About $250 for press, dies, powder measure, digital scale and calipers to get started.
I was finally able to afford shooting my 629 again.
The turret is faster than single stage but slower than progressive. Takes me maybe 20-30 minutes to do 50 rds at an unhurried pace.
Spare turrets are cheap, after initial set up caliber change is pretty easy.

Lets say I decided on the Lee precision breech lock challenger kit. What else is needed besides brass, bullets, primers and powder.

A reloading manual or 2 (Lyman 49th edition and Hornady 9th? is what I recommend), primer flip tray (RCBS), vibratory tumbler, calipers, scale to name a few. Going to bed now lol.

Thanks A bunch everyone seems I have a bunch of reading that I need to do. I do QC as my occupation so The calipers and a micrometer

Lets say I decided on the Lee precision breech lock challenger kit. What else is needed besides brass, bullets, primers and powder.

A couple of :
Universal-Ammo-Loading-Tray
https://www.amazon.com/MTM-Universa...eywords=+Reloading+-+Universal+Reloading+Tray

lee .44 magnum dies
https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precisio...470882948&sr=8-1&keywords=lee+.44+magnum+dies

I'm not sure if you're going to trim your cases, I seldom trim mine - only when the casings are out of spec'.
In case you are going to:
Lee quick trim:
http://www.titanreloading.com/case-conditioning-tools

With its appropriate trimming die:
https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Quick-Trim-Die/dp/B00G3G851G

Scale:
https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ar...83764&sr=1-1&keywords=frankford+arsenal+scale

The press will do your priming, I do not use a separate priming tool.
I also don't use a priming tray, but if you must:
https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-09480-Primer-Tray-2/dp/B000N8HW3M

A set of Powder measure kit: (The die set will arrive with the dipper you're probably going to need, unless you charge a specialty round for that caliber). Just in case here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precisio...883396&sr=1-1&keywords=Lee+powder+measure+kit

Here's a more automated method for powder measure, Lee has some cheaper models that do the same trick, I like the RCBS one though.
https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9010-Un...470883456&sr=1-1&keywords=RCBS+powder+measure

If you're going the manual way, you're going to need a funnel:
https://www.amazon.com/Lee-LP90190-...TF8&qid=1470884264&sr=1-1&keywords=Lee+funnel

If you're only doing one caliber at this point, you can get away just fine without a manual. Plenty of resources online for recipes.

I'll add that reading the Lyman introduction section with its process explanation helped me quite a bit. I wouldn't skimp and get it, or any other reputable manual. (There's a hard cover for this edition, this is not it, cheaper.)

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-49th-E...eywords=lyman+49th+edition+reloading+handbook

Case lube would not hurt, you'll need it one day.
https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precisio...&qid=1470884082&sr=1-1&keywords=Lee+case+lube

If I'm not mistaken, this should not leave you with any "Duh, I forgot to buy..." before you reload your first batch.

You may need a couple more items, but they can wait for batch #2, or maybe even #5:
A tumbler for example.

I tumble mine in a 5Gal bucket with dish soap, give'm a rub, water the neighbor's plants with the water (not really), and dry them in the sun.

If something pops in my head - I'll update this list under this line.

Last edited:
You really don't need to reload 1,000 rounds an hour? Go single stage press. I've never timed myself on straight wall cases but can reload 125 bottleneck cases per hour of actual labor, start to finish, including trim and inspection. If you decide later to go progressive, you will still use the single stage. In recent years, with used equipment, you can get everything you need for under $300 including components enough to get started. Roughly, with quality bullets, your cost per box of 50 would be, say, $20. If you can scrounge, less.

One you get your equipment, if you buy in bulk, you'll be able to make really good 240gr jacketed .44 Mag for $0.30/round if you use your own brass, or about $0.40 if you buy new brass.

Bullets - $370 per 2000
Primers - $32/1000
Powder - $28/LB
New Brass - $175/1000 (load them twice for a cost of $0.085 ea)

One you get your equipment, if you buy in bulk, you'll be able to make really good 240gr jacketed .44 Mag for $0.30/round if you use your own brass, or about $0.40 if you buy new brass.

Bullets - $370 per 2000
Primers - $32/1000
Powder - $28/LB
New Brass - $175/1000 (load them twice for a cost of $0.085 ea)

This.

Definitely buy in bulk if you can. H110 or Win 296 powder can be had for $23-$25 at shops like Shooters Outpost or Rileys. Probably closer to $28 at shops in MA when you add in sales tax..

My cost breakdown for 44 mag using 240 gr JSP bullets
$132.50 per 2000 bullets
Primers $32/1000
Powder $25/LB

But I consider the brass free if it's once fired and not new brass that I bought. That comes out to about $12.50 per 50 (using a near max charge of H110/296). If you buy new brass, that will increase the cost of course.

You've got enough replies already, so I'll just invite you down and see how simple it is to reload .44 and sample about every bullet style available. 100 meters onsite.
I've reloaded .44 for years, as my first handgun was a Redhawk. My first press was the Lyman Handi-Press, so you can keep things very simple and low cost.
I don't know why you can't shoot cast, but is that due to your barrels rifling type or other factors? Have you tried coated and plated yet? Many firearm manuals will say "Do not shoot reloads", but that's a standard disclaimer IMO.
I'm in SE CT, but come on down..reload and shoot!

Disclaimer: I've since sold the Redhawk and I have little brass and bullets remaining for .44 Magnum (assorted reloads in .44 Magnum.44 Special and Russian available with multiple bullet profiles/weights).

Last edited:
I started reloading a couple of years ago when I got my first .45 and didn't want to pay retail prices. I wanted to dip my toe in, and picked up a used lee hand press. I reloaded that way for a year, until I got sick of only being able to load 50 an hour. So I upgraded to the lee classic turret kit, and couldn't be happier. I now reload .45, .357, and .380. It's still a process that I have to think about...no autopilot here...but the speed improvement over a single stage is so worth it IMO. It's basically the same steps as a single stage, but with a turret that spins, so you spend far less time changing out dies. Going slow and steady, and making sure I manually measure the powder every 5 rounds or so, I can crank out more than 100 an hour. That's plenty fast enough for me. The Lee Classic Turret kit comes with everything you need including a scale and reloading manual for $200 online. Add a set of dies for $50, and you are good to go.

Back
Top Bottom