Cost per round?

Salyeica

NES Member
Is there a commonly accepted cost per round matrix I should be working off while stocking up on ammo?

$0.xx - are you kidding? back up the truck, but save some for me!
$0.yy - meh. If you're on the way to the range and short on ammo, that'll do in a pinch.
$0.zz - put down the box and walk out. That's highway robbery!

Realistically looking at major (popular) calibers, any more detailed info would be greatly appreciated.

For .40, I usually aim for somewhere below $0.30/round including all shipping/handling. If I can find it local without having to ship, I'll settle near $0.32 and feel like I got a pretty good deal. That usually only happens once or twice a year if I'm lucky. YMMV.

The best way to buy, escpecially in 'stock-up' mode, is by the case. You can make yourself crazy looking for deals one box at a time. For my favorite calibers, I tend to buy at prices like these:

7.62x39 - Anything $250/1000 rounds or less. Golden Tiger at $229/1000 is my favorite deal, and that's where I tend to buy extra
7.62x54R - Spam cans at $100 or less. Buying it by the paper pack will kill you, and paying $125 or more for a spam can is nuts.
5.56 - Brass case anything under 40 cents a round is a buy price, anything over 50 cents and they can keep it.
.223 steel case - $250/1000 rounds is about the best you find. $300/1000 rounds is OK. More than that, I leave it.
9mm - I bought a crapload when it was 20 cents a round. I don't know what it goes for now, but I'd hate to pay more than 30 cents, even in a pinch. This is for range ammo, brass cased. Carry ammo is over $1 a round.
30-06 - For surplus Garand ammo, 65-75 cents is what you'll find in bulk. I buy as much greek surplus as I can afford at ~68 cents delivered before it's gone.
.22LR - don't pay over 10 cents a round unless it's some special match ammo. Normal price is around 6 cents, and if I see some at that, I buy it.

Of course, this is all out the window if you have no ammo and you really want to go to the range. Then you have to bite the bullet and pay whatever it takes. The trick is to never get into that position. Buy by the case, and never get below a comfortable level.

Last edited:
Mclina pretty much nailed it IMO. That said I buy 9mm at Riley's when they have blazer brass at $235 for a case of 1000. Also .22 I won't spend more than .05 right now but that's only because I have a lot of it. If I was short $40 a brick (.08 per round) seems like a decent price in this market. Not that I think it's a decent price but you don't often see it below that,

.45 - the best I ever see is about $.40. $80 for 200 packs, WWB at Wally World for $39 and change or maybe it's $37 and change. Most places is closer to .50 a round.

So you are basically asking what you can afford to pay ?

Not at all. Just trying to get a gauge on pricing since I'm just getting into shooting again after a 15 year hiatus. I can afford $0.15/rd for .22lr, but should I be paying that much? I can always keep looking unless I'm in a pinch.

- - - Updated - - -

The best way to buy, escpecially in 'stock-up' mode, is by the case. You can make yourself crazy looking for deals one box at a time. For my favorite calibers, I tend to buy at prices like these:

7.62x39 - Anything $250/1000 rounds or less. Golden Tiger at $229/1000 is my favorite deal, and that's where I tend to buy extra
7.62x54R - Spam cans at $100 or less. Buying it by the paper pack will kill you, and paying $125 or more for a spam can is nuts.
5.56 - Brass case anything under 40 cents a round is a buy price, anything over 50 cents and they can keep it.
.223 steel case - $250/1000 rounds is about the best you find. $300/1000 rounds is OK. More than that, I leave it.
9mm - I bought a crapload when it was 20 cents a round. I don't know what it goes for now, but I'd hate to pay more than 30 cents, even in a pinch. This is for range ammo, brass cased. Carry ammo is over $1 a round.
30-06 - For surplus Garand ammo, 65-75 cents is what you'll find in bulk. I buy as much greek surplus as I can afford at ~68 cents delivered before it's gone.
.22LR - don't pay over 10 cents a round unless it's some special match ammo. Normal price is around 6 cents, and if I see some at that, I buy it.

Of course, this is all out the window if you have no ammo and you really want to go to the range. Then you have to bite the bullet and pay whatever it takes. The trick is to never get into that position. Buy by the case, and never get below a comfortable level.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, mclina

At current prices, I reload .223 plinking stuff for less than $0.20/rd, and 9mm for $0.13/rd, so those are my buy numbers.

I don't buy ammo often because of that.

Online, M193 is now a "good deal" at < $0.34/rd shipped.

Last edited:
This site is a good source for deals and price range info. http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/pistol/9mm/

Just pick your flavor. Good deals show up in red. Just make sure you look out for things "powderless, not for semi auto" on the 22 page. Or "steel case", "remanufactured", "polymer", etc... You don't want to get all excited about a price and buy a brick/case of something just to later realize it is something you can't/won't use.

I roll my own .223 so I don't even look at those prices any more. I won't pay more than .20/rd for 9mm unless it is carry ammo.

I'm sick when I look at .22LR SV prices on both those sites!!

And I had people complaining when I put out Federal bulk 550 packs for $45 at the BR&P swap meet last year!!

I had trouble a few years ago selling off Rem Thunderbolts at $1.50/50! It's junk and listed at these sites for $50/500!!!!!!!!!

I'm sick when I look at .22LR SV prices on both those sites!!

And I had people complaining when I put out Federal bulk 550 packs for $45 at the BR&P swap meet last year!!

I had trouble a few years ago selling off Rem Thunderbolts at $1.50/50! It's junk and listed at these sites for $50/500!!!!!!!!!

It really doesn't make sense when you can get bricks locally for ~$30 again

It really doesn't make sense when you can get bricks locally for ~$30 again

A year ago you couldn't find .22 on the shelves anywhere. Empty shelves with price stickers on them don't count. I went to the Concord NH gun show (Sept 2014) and saw bricks of HV on the tables for $60-75. Nothing special about them other than the obscene price.

Looking at both those sites, the prices listed are well above $30/500. I know some places have 325 rd "bricks" (to me a brick is 500 rds, not 325 and not 550 either).

BTW, the 550 packs that I sold at the BR&P swap meet last year were all sold for $40 each (I had tagged them at $45) which works out to $36/500.

Last night at our NES-Natick get-together Dwarven1 told me that SV costs right now (wholesale, he has an FFL) are running $40/500 (landed cost - including shipping to him).

Last edited:
Last night at our NES-Natick get-together Dwarven1 told me that SV costs right now (wholesale, he has an FFL) are running $40/500 (landed cost - including shipping to him).

Crazy. Funny I was just going through my ammo/reloading cabinet last night and found 2 CCI SV bricks with price tags from Collectors Gallery for $27.50 each. I think I bought those just before SH. Anyway, the last time I bought CCI SV was at Shooters Outpost late last year for $3.99 per 50. I can't imagine they're making a huge profit with the current costs of SV ammo.

Less than $.22/round for brass cased 9mm
Less than $.35/round for brass cased 5.56
Less than $.25/round for steel cased .223
Less than $.09/round for .22LR

Remember prices always change. All it takes is some sort of scare to make prices skyrocket overnight. Ammo could be a nickel per round and people would still find a way to complain about it.

market is on the low side now buy what you can afford it will only go up. I don't see prices dropping down to much lower then they are now. The GF complains about buying it but I but I buy it cheap and if it comes down to it I can sell it and get my money back easily. Ammo in the safe is as good as money in the bank.

Are those prices at the leprechaun and unicorn farm?

No. I'd agree with JCV's price breakdown. Except for 9mm, the cheapest I usually see it for $12 per 50 or 24 cents/round both online or at Walmart. Then again I don't follow the prices too much since I've started reloading last year. A box of 9mm runs me about $6.50.

And 22 can be had at Walmart for 5-6 cents.

Aguila 124gr. 9mm can be found for $13.99 for 50.
Seems good value to me.

[thinking] where are you shopping? Don't spend more than $0.22/round for 9mm right now. Federal Aluminum FMJ should be just $0.20 at Walmart. Tula Steel cased is .22/rnd. If you insist on brass cased then don't go over .25/rnd. This isn't a desperate market for 9mm anymore. It's everywhere so there's no sense paying any premium for it.

For .22LR I wouldn't consider anything over .06/rnd for bulk stuff. It's rare but when you find it you can get bulk packs at totally reasonable prices. If you're looking for CCI and such then you can pay more but I wouldn't go over .10/rnd no matter how specific or nice the ammo is.

For 5.56/.223 I wouldn't go over .35/rnd. It can be had for as little as .33/rnd for brass cased, name brand ammo.

Are those prices at the leprechaun and unicorn farm?

Those prices are exactly what I'm paying on a regular basis. Only tough one is .22LR and I stocked up on 6000 rounds a couple months ago when it showed up a few times at Walmart. Price paid was under .06/rnd for WWB (which incidentally is what my Savage likes best).

Just picked up federal match 325ct bulk .22lr for 18.97 at walmart...under 0.06 before tax. Friend of mine found Winchester "m-22"(?) .22lr bulk 1000ct yesterday at another walmart for 50.87. I can't see spending more to plink. Stingers, on the other hand ...

Out here as ammo got scarce the pawnshop guys would hang around the cheap ammo stores on shipping days, buy everything and take it to the pawn shop to sell at double the price. Went in one day to see 380 ammo that normally sells $16 a box marked $50 at the pawn shop.

I don't go to the pawnshop now. I do search on line and found grafs and sons has good prices when they have stock. Even found some 455 webley[grin]

Out here as ammo got scarce the pawnshop guys would hang around the cheap ammo stores on shipping days, buy everything and take it to the pawn shop to sell at double the price. Went in one day to see 380 ammo that normally sells $16 a box marked $50 at the pawn shop.

I don't go to the pawnshop now. I do search on line and found grafs and sons has good prices when they have stock. Even found some 455 webley[grin]

This must be what Dicks is doing... They've got 100ct WWB 9mm for like $36 to Walmart's $25.

Ya this no ammo thing really takes a bite out of the fun. Bought some 455 webley from grafs at $35 plus shipping only to find it for $20 at a gunshow a few months later. Did hit a bonus when a fellow was moving and sold me his 22lr ammo for $20 a brick. That was last year and haven't seen any as cheap since.

Back
Top Bottom