1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Cost breeds necessity...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Rim Job, Apr 17, 2019 at 4:46 AM.

1. Rim Job

Rim Job

I want to know how the whole myth of Honda never break came about. I now have the pleasure of changing out the oil pan on my Honda Element because it's starting to rust out.

Local shop that I wanted to try quoted me $1,100 to do the whole job, $300 just for the pan (straight from Honda) and then another seven and a half hours for labor (book rate). To which I replied, "I know that pan is only $150 from the dealership." Looks like I'll be attempting this myself. Just need to grab a buttload of wood cribbing from work.

2. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

Some of the labor times seem like they are made for a one armed retarded midget to do

richc and 10thSFFD like this.
  3. Greg

Greg

I have never heard of any car manufacturers product not breaking,some just break more often than others.

Rusting is not breaking.

Woodsy, Soundwave and FPrice like this.
  4. Mr.E

Mr.E

I guess it depends on how accessible the pan is.
    I’ve seen some cars where you need to remove a portion of the front steering assembly to drop the pan.

5. qqac

qqac

Rusting should be considered breaking. It amounts to the same thing--a part that fails and needs to be repaired. My father had a Corolla with rusted brake lines that gave out as he was driving. I've had many Audis for a long time and they had copper nickel brake lines that never rusted. They also had body galvanization and did not suffer from the rusting body panels that I always see on pickups.

6. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

i cant believe my beef ramen noodle does not taste like steak au poivre

EMTDAD, NHKevin, OCB and 3 others like this.
  7. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

Honda's break sometimes, its all my sister buys, and they've had plenty of fix it bills. But they do get good mileage out of them. At least 200K usually before they trade in.

This....some pans are as easy as dropping a tranny pan. Others its a shxt show. Look and see.....some things may seem expensive for labor, but if you get in too deep, the 1100 might seem cheap. I just did a wheel bearing on one of the cars, which I got a quote for 500 for, and I swear an flunkie engineering retard designed how it fit, the bolts were half hidden, and i had to use a gear puller and several different avenues to get at them. I got thru it, but it took 1 day of my weekend away and a lot of swearing, and laying on cold cement.

If its an easy one, DIY. and save the cash, they are just porking you.

Also....starting to rust out? ....my wife's 09 Santa Fe pan has been starting to rust out for 3 years now. I keep an eye on it.

I will say that the car doesn't owe us anything and its the next car to get replaced, I'm rolling the dice for a while...at least til this summer and the weather is good.
    It doesn't look like a bad change though, definately DIY.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 7:08 AM
  8. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias

No one ever says Honda NEVER breaks.

Everything breaks.

Your rant gets a 0.5/5.

Greg likes this.
  9. Greg

Greg

I see what you are saying,but I am from California and you would be very surprised how long cars last without salt on the roads for 5 months of the year.

10. snax

snax NES Member

Oil pan rusting out is rare. I don't count that as a break. That is an environmental impact.
    I had one oilpan rust out on about 30 cars. 87 Regal w/a POS 307. I've owned maybe 10 similar B-body? GM's of that vintage, some with more mileage. Only one oilpan rot out. I think it may be the luck of the draw for you....unless it's a common problem. The two Hondas I have now (3.5 v6) have aluminum oil pans.
    All my hondas have been pretty good. Only one unnecessary repair in 17 years of owning almost every Honda model. All of which, except 2, were USA made.
    I switched in 2002 to Honda because I couldn't deal with constant attention my American brand cars needed. I tried Nissan in 2000, it was decent, but subpar.
    I like Toyotas, but the mushy handling was a turnoff. Once our Ody is dead, I may get the wife an AWD Sienna.
    I've had awesome luck so far with my Ridgeline, and once that is dead, I'll find another low mileage of the same vintage. Does everything I need.

11. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Did you ever purchase those stainless backyard grills? Those are sold to teach all of us that everything rusts from the inside! Chinese and Japanese do not know that yet. Let's keep it as our national secret!

12. Woodstock

Woodstock NES Member

Cheer up. If it was one of the old Ford 6.9/7.3 diesels you'd be pulling the engine to replace the pan, and that was a frequent repair, as the diesel produced a lot of acid blow-by.

JRLB and 10thSFFD like this.
  13. qqac

qqac

Point taken, but the thing is that everyone keeps saying the beef ramen noodles will keep sustain you all day and keep you healthy as a horse, while the steak au poivre will give you constant diarrhea. It's just not true. Japanese cars have their weaknesses, and it is not just due to price point. Even the luxury Infiniti line suffers from rust, while VW has the copper nickel alloy and galvanization similar to its big brother Audi.

14. Rim Job

Rim Job

If it was basic surface rust I wouldn't mind, but once it starts peeling and going a layer or two deep then I get concerned. I also have a 2k mile highway trip coming up next week. IMG_20190417_124144.jpg