corrosive .308

was .308 ever manufactured as corrosive ammo by any of the countries that we have surplus from?

looking to feed a hungry rifle ive found surplus from:

china
south africa
malaysia
indonesia
portugal
spain

i remember hearing that the indo stuff is junk...but are any of these gonna kill my barrel?

i have a small amount of aussie and SA socked away and just got some linked malaysian yesterday for plinking but wasnt sure of the quality of it

Don't touch anything made in Indonesia.

I'm not sure about their .308 but Malaysian 5.56 worked very well for me. The Portuguese and South African are also very good. I know the Spanish is noncorrosive as is the steel cased Norinco from China. However, the one you want to avoid like the plague is Indian. Even their non-corrosive stuff will mess up your gun.

As far as corrosive .308 the only one on your list I have confirmed is corrosive was the chinese ammo.
It usually comes sealed in a galvanized can with 520 rounds.
It also depends what you are going to shoot ot out of, more robust guns like the 1919 can take most any type of ammo while some others like the M1A and such it would not be wise to use it.
I sold my 1919 and subsequently sold my stash of Norinco 308 ammo, I will not use it in any of my semi auto's.
The best I have found so far is the Portugese .308, there are more than 1 manufacturer of these some headstamps would be FNM and BF for example.
Also Hirtenberger is nice ammo and was made for the Portugese market also.
To sum up, most all 308 is non corrosive save for the Chi-Com stuff.

Does anybody have any resources for surplus .308 (nato headstamped stuff). I'm picking up an Ishapore Enfield in a week or two, and I've been having a hell of a time finding ammo for it online (except for the Indian stuff). I'm in RI, so I can have stuff shipped to my house, I just need some sites that have it. Don't post it, PM me if you have any.

Back
Top Bottom