• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Correct wood for Type 56 AK

I have a Mak90 sporter that has been converted to a standard AKM and I'm trying to get as close to a type 56 as possible with it being "Correct" the furniture that was put on it is ill fitting and the upper handguard is cracked. Its solid for the most part and its a great shooter, but I'd like to put better furniture on it. I don't want a high gloss new look, I like that well used surplus look.

Seems my best option is from ironwood stocks. They're pricey but from what I hear are of the highest quality. There's several options, from finished Chicom orange, to unfinished birch, beech, and walnut. So what would be the most correct set?

Im not an AK guru by any means and I always try to learn to different characteristics, various options and designs of all the different countries of origin. I find it difficult to track them all down and see whats correct as in "as issued" largely I think because many of these rifles were made compliant, imported, built off of a kit or whatnot, there doesnt seem to be any standard like if you were restoring or building a US rifle.

Any and all help is appreciated.

The Mak90 is a nice rifle, don't put cheap wood on it.
I went with ironwood a little pricey,but worth it.

Wouldn't you rather replace all the wood with black plastic for that tacticool look?? Maybe spot weld a picaninny rail to the receiver for some expensive optics? Grind down that obnoxious front sight and mount a flashlight there?

Wouldn't you rather replace all the wood with black plastic for that tacticool look?? Maybe spot weld a picaninny rail to the receiver for some expensive optics? Grind down that obnoxious front sight and mount a flashlight there?
The magpul stuff isn't terrible. But if your putting a quad rail on your ak your a pecker

My day job literally involves grammar, spelling, word choice, and editing. If I attempted to correct people's writing on here, I would go insane and become one of the most hated members. Most people can't spell for shit or have poor word choice. Add auto-correct issues on top of that. Accept that and your life will be much happier.

Yeah I know I was just... kinda being a pecker to the guy who was kinda being a pecker to a pecker. ;)

I no a talka two well,and I no a sphell
four a shit.If the nuns could not teach
me brother your out of luck. LOL

BTT - Just curious what you did for a stock? I'm 5 weeks into an order for my Ironwood Walnut unfinished stock for my MAK90 and the order said a minimum of 6 weeks lead time. I'm hoping I can finish it to turn out like this below:

AK Walnut.jpg

BTT - Just curious what you did for a stock? I'm 5 weeks into an order for my Ironwood Walnut unfinished stock for my MAK90 and the order said a minimum of 6 weeks lead time. I'm hoping I can finish it to turn out like this below:

View attachment 422527

FYI, my Ironwood order took about three months earlier this year. It was well worth it, though. I have the impression Covid restrictions are hitting that shop HARD.

This is what you’re looking for. Sorry if it’s a tease but I’m not selling. I bought this set from a AK/SKS collector and it was his last of Chicom AKM correct replacement sets.
View attachment 357494

This. If you go to gun shows these eventually pop up. Just remember non-laminated light blond wood, no palm swell on the forgrip, with the metal collars on both the forgrip grip and the pistol grip. The other than the grip, euro spec stuff will not fit without serious fitting work for dimension reasons. I am assuming you have a standard stamped receiver mak90. If milled then you need a different stock depending on the rear tang.

Back
Top Bottom