Coronavirus Prompts NH Governor To Issue 'Stay At Home' Order

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So therefore you're going to vote for the Democratic opponent? Because that's the subject of that post.
This is the kind of response by the governor that causes people to stay home in an election.

You may or may not be surprised at how many republicans in NH are irate at todays response.

The only winners are the dems

ScottS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Not at all. I'm saying it's a tough decision for anyone in charge because no matter which way you go you will get a bunch of sh!t for it.. I might have quoted the wrong one of you're posts to reply to.
Got it. We're on the same page there. I think this is pretty close to no-win. Stay-at-home order, business suffer and people get pissed. No stay-at-home order,and more people get infected or one of the major hospitals fails, and you didn't do enough, soon enough. Very tough call. Glad I didn't have to make it.

ScottS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
This is the kind of response by the governor that causes people to stay home in an election.

You may or may not be surprised at how many republicans in NH are irate at todays response.

The only winners are the dems
We can have a whole other conversation on that. Staying at home because you're pissed at a decision would only bring a Democrat Governor who happily signs all the anti-gun bills that the legislature has sent and is sending almost every day to Concord. All signed and approved.

That will show...who?

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's a tough call. The majority of the state doesn't need to be shut down. But if he doesn't and the virus spreads especially in the obvious tourist areas then he'll catch a bunch of sh!t for it. He will also catch sh!t for shutting things down.. There is no win for anyone in this. I just figured out a decent survival plan for my business. But even shut down for another 5 weeks I'll get through it OK. I could probably justify seeing a few clients. I fall in a gray area of businesses.
Its going to spread no matter what he does

The trajectory for the state was largely fixed the week of the great supermarket stampede.......beginning 3/11 or so and lasting for a solid week.....what happened then is continueing to play out

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We can have a whole other conversation on that. Staying at home because you're pissed at a decision would only bring a Democrat Governor who happily signs all the anti-gun bills that the legislature has sent and is sending almost every day to Concord. All signed and approved.

That will show...who?
I'm just reiterating human nature.

Gov should be praised for veto of gun bills....truly

But now the governor has just slapped every self employed/small and some larger business in the state AND their employees and enacted conditions that are going to ruin a lot of them financially......folks are going to lose their homes, careers....you name it....and Sununu's name is on it.....you think those people are going to turn out to vote?

You cant take someones future away from them and expect them to vote for you.....some will, many wont

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My job is considered "non essential" and this order just made me lose my only source of income for me and my son. While I have some savings, the amount isn't going to last. So essentially Sununu just forced a large swath of employees in the state to file for unemployment and lose everything. But hey as long as it saves one life. This country is a cough and sneeze from a depression greater than we have ever seen in history. While I will never vote Democrat, Sununu just let me know where his priorities lay and I will vote accordingly.

northny

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Between Cabelas and Harvard Sportsmen’s Club
I'm in Mass and I'm in the process of talking the wife until driving down to Florida and staying there until the Chinese flu is over. I hope I can talk her into it. If not, I'm going to miss the old girl.
My friends in Fla are fleeing the state. Too many sick and too many oldster sick that they feel will overwhelm system. They are all retired snowbirds and heading north earlier than usual.

But make your own decision.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mayors and Boards of Selectman have no "emergency powers" to shutter businesses or issue executive orders.
So the governor(s) should do it for towns, cities & counties that are infected, not just the whole state.

As I've said elsewhere here, in hindsight, the first lock-downs should have been more focused and tighter.

Reactions: jpk

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
How the frick is this a Democrat or Republican decision?
Only shutdown the infected cities?? Have you been paying attention, its everywhere, it has no boundaries, it doesn't just stay at the state line.
Some real stupidity on here tonight

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Only shutdown the infected cities?? Have you been paying attention, its everywhere, it has no boundaries, it doesn't just stay at the state line.
The stupidity is totally shutting down a state over 150 cases of wu flu with a single reported death and destroying the futures/employment opportunities in a state of ~1.3 million people

The disease is already going to run its course no matter what....so why add insult to injury and throw the state into a depression like economic state?

People dont grasp how long it took to recover from the great depression and the impact it had on people......it far exceeded the impact of the 1918 flu

Great depression f***ed multiple generations

1918 flu was relatively speaking pulling off a band aid in comparison

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Before they closed Loon Mountain, people from MA used the school shutdowns as a time to bring all there kids up here skiing.
Our town was packed with out of staters before it was closed.
Ya but he didn’t close Waterville Valley. The mountain they own.
That’s what I was told anyway from very longtime Loonies.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Everywhere?
1585270757923.png
And that's just at the county level. Break it down by city/town and I'll bet more areas than not are still clean, at least in NH. The infection needs to be isolated and cut out, not kill the overall host.

ScottS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
So the governor(s) should do it for towns, cities & counties that are infected, not just the whole state.

As I've said elsewhere here, in hindsight, the first lock-downs should have been more focused and tighter.
Interesting thought, but I wonder if that's even legal. Any lawyers on here want to weigh in?

Mxracer239y

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Now contrast that with other states (cough, MA, cough) where my company is issuing letters to employees considered "essential" to show to police officers when they're stopped and harassed about being on the road.
Not sure why you think NH isn't doing this - my NH based employer just sent one of these out to all employees.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Are hardware stores essential (Home Depot, Belletetes?) I'm just wondering how much tasks I'm gonna be able to get done.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before they closed Loon Mountain, people from MA used the school shutdowns as a time to bring all there kids up here skiing.
Our town was packed with out of staters before it was closed.
True story, bro.

My daughter and son-in-law live in North Woodstock, and work in Lincoln/Plymouth/Conway (they both have two jobs).

Some lady from Mass hit the Lincoln Aubuchon and bought all their RV toilet paper.

• Angry
Reactions: jpk

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm just hoping that I and my family make it to summer.

Something like 6 weeks ago, we already dumped all plans for the year. This includes Philippines trip (impossible now) and vacation rental in September.

I'll just be happy to not have anyone close to us die, and to still have a job.

My back yard is beautiful... grass, trees, animals... I'm more than happy to sit in a gravity chair and stare off into the trees while the sun shines on me.

Woodsloafer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Something like 6 weeks ago, we already dumped all plans for the year. This includes Philippines trip (impossible now) and vacation rental in September.

I'll just be happy to not have anyone close to us die, and to still have a job.

My back yard is beautiful... grass, trees, animals... I'm more than happy to sit in a gravity chair and stare off into the trees while the sun shines on me.

Same here. One thing I hope I can do is take my nephew on a bear hunting trip to Maine at the end of August/beginning of September. It is his graduation (high school) present from me (I took his brother last year, both of us got bears), he will likely be missing the rest of his senior year so I hate to see the trip fall through too.

ScottS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Not sure why you think NH isn't doing this - my NH based employer just sent one of these out to all employees.
By "doing this," do you mean law enforcement stopping people or NH buisnesses sending out letters? If it's the former, I refer you to Sununu's statement that police will not be stopping people and enforcing this order.

hpm

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Norfolk County, MA / Piscataquis County, ME
Now contrast that with other states (cough, MA, cough) where my company is issuing letters to employees considered "essential" to show to police officers when they're stopped and harassed about being on the road. He was getting a lot of pressure to no-shit shelter-in-place, including from the heads of at least two major hospitals in the state.
This is fiction - no one in Mass gets stopped by police.
You are making your assumption based on a decision your company made to send out a letter.
In fact contrary to NH governor who issued a stay at home order MA Governor only issued a stay at home advisory even stating that US citizens can’t be forced to stay at home.

They have real work. I'm sure they're not drafting letters like this because they're bored and looking for something to do.
Yes in fact companies do that.

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Are cops in MA stopping people?

I have been working from home and not watching the news. I went to make sure I can go to the range this weekend.
I work in MA and my parents live there too, I’m driving there every day and cops are parked in their usual areas and I haven’t once seen anyone pulled over. I’m not sure even the hard charging new jacks want to pull anyone over lol

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My job is considered "non essential" and this order just made me lose my only source of income for me and my son. While I have some savings, the amount isn't going to last. So essentially Sununu just forced a large swath of employees in the state to file for unemployment and lose everything. But hey as long as it saves one life. This country is a cough and sneeze from a depression greater than we have ever seen in history. While I will never vote Democrat, Sununu just let me know where his priorities lay and I will vote accordingly.
File for assistance if you need it. Will you have a job when this is over? Pay attention. It's not about saving just one life even though it could be yours or your kids. It's about keeping the hospitals from being over run. The gov is screwed by people over reacting on both sides of the issue no matter what he decides. This shit hasn't even been going on here for more than a few weeks and people are already freaking out. Keep it together people!

Are hardware stores essential (Home Depot, Belletetes?) I'm just wondering how much tasks I'm gonna be able to get done.
Yes

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then you have morons like this. It's a creative business strategy but I'd be pissed if my town was over run with tourists bringing more virus exposure.
This is a big part of why NH got shut down.

e-mail from Portsmouth NH hotel:
Many of you have reached out to inquire if our locations will remain open through these challenging times. The answer is yes. We continue to provide private, self-contained studio apartments for those seeking to self-distance.

To assist with making extended stays more feasible, we are offering rates starting at $99 now through May 4th at The Inn Downtown. Local supermarkets are open to stock your kitchens, numerous restaurants are offering take out, and several will deliver food right your door while you hunker down with us.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And then you have morons like this. It's a creative business strategy but I'd be pissed if my town was over run with tourists bringing more virus exposure.
This is a big part of why NH got shut down.

e-mail from Portsmouth NH hotel:
Many of you have reached out to inquire if our locations will remain open through these challenging times. The answer is yes. We continue to provide private, self-contained studio apartments for those seeking to self-distance.

To assist with making extended stays more feasible, we are offering rates starting at $99 now through May 4th at The Inn Downtown. Local supermarkets are open to stock your kitchens, numerous restaurants are offering take out, and several will deliver food right your door while you hunker down with us.
In the last month, I've seen more NY plates than I think I've ever seen this time of year in the Lake Sunapee region. Scary stuff.

Choctaw

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the last month, I've seen more NY plates than I think I've ever seen this time of year in the Lake Sunapee region. Scary stuff.
I was thinking about that this morning. The same thing people did during the bubonic plague. Villages built road blocks to prevent travelers from the cities coming into their town. Farmers outside Wuhan did that also. My first thought was that people are selfish but then I thought "What would I do if it were my family?"

Top Bottom