Corona Virus Local SITREP Thread

In God We Trust

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The other thread is pretty busy, so I thought it might be good to start a situation report thread as this thing progresses. A place to post real life, local reports about shelves at stores, local rumors etc.

I just left Walmart in lunnenburg. No masks to be found, but there was plenty of stuff still available. The TP section wasn’t as well stocked as usual and most carts I saw had TP and a bottle of bleach.

The sheep are still asleep

cstockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Was at Wally World in Raynham grabbing some things earlier today and there was plenty of full shelves. Only one lady had a mask on while shopping. I said to the cashier it seemed pretty quiet and she stated that it was very quiet for a Thursday.

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hit Market Basket in Littleton this morning to stock up on short term things - pretty quiet there, BUT...for the first time I've seen it, there were probably a half-dozen others doing the same - not buying huge quantities, but something like 6 jars peanut butter, a dozen canned beans, etc. Did see a couple of people fill shopping carts pretty high with water.

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Hit Market Basket in Littleton this morning to stock up on short term things - pretty quiet there, BUT...for the first time I've seen it, there were probably a half-dozen others doing the same - not buying huge quantities, but something like 6 jars peanut butter, a dozen canned beans, etc. Did see a couple of people fill shopping carts pretty high with water.

Not a bad time to get what you need - if the news continues to talk about it and more cases pop up locally, the stores will be crowded; especially if MEMA or others starts talking about the possibility of sequestering people.
14 across the entire country. there are local cases? where?

Fritz the Cat

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still pretty quiet here in the Berkshires. We have a large 2nd home population so I imagine there will be people staying longer soon.
The hardware stores still have plenty of masks and gloves. I stocked up several boxes. I use them at work so it's not like they will go to waste when the virus runs its course.
The wife and I are planning a trip to BJs this weekend (45 minutes each way) to fill out some of our bulky items. And as usual we will hit the sales at the local grocery stores, buy more than we use in a week. My freezer is close to capacity now so we will be good there. Plenty of extra gas/diesel/propane in the shed. Generator starts right up as I run it twice a month. I do want to buy a second generator and not uncrate it, just waiting for a good deal. Two is one, one is none.

Fritz the Cat

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Add to this the number of people that come up from NYC on the weekend, it's not entirely unlikely to see it here (in The 'Shire)

Jason m

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Just came out of the Walmart in Sturbridge with some more supplies and saw some with some "stocking up supplies" in there carts. But honestly it was mostly normal stuff, would say 75% of the people. Lots of people shopping for summer stuff and day to day stuff.

I think it still hasn't sunk in yet that, plenty of rubbing alcohol and hand San on the shelf along with plenty of TP and paper towels. I really cant worry about others, other than my family circle so it is what it is.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thread for Dench to poop in. :D

Nothing too crazy down south. It is the end of carnival season. So water is always drawn down due to people mixing drinks with it on the parade routes. Just remember LSU fans emptied a stadium of alcohol before halftime at an away game. Hurricane season starts soonish as well. No empty shelves that I've seen. Not interested in masks, didn't look. I'm using water as my 'poopmeter'.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

Add to this the number of people that come up from NYC on the weekend, it's not entirely unlikely to see it here (in The 'Shire)
this is bull shit. you know this, right? We already know that people can be asymptomatic and be infectious. The airport "screening" is "medical theater" at best. How many people did they have the opportunity to contaminate while on the plane and in the airports and "going home?" Also, did they have to stop for groceries after returning from their trip? I know I always have to go get fresh produce and eggs and such after a trip away more than 3 days.

01bmf

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you guys find any masks let me know so I can list them on ebay [rofl]
My better half works in the med field. Her patient rooms somehow managed to lose all their masks yesterday, save for the few she keeps in her desk. Stacks of them just up and walked away.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
you don't have to go overboard with the supplies. if it hits your home you're either gonna die or it will pass on through in a couple of weeks. just like...well, the flu. except i don't usually expect to die with the normal flu.

daekken

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
you don't have to go overboard with the supplies. if it hits your home you're either gonna die or it will pass on through in a couple of weeks. just like...well, the flu. except i don't usually expect to die with the normal flu.
Depends a lot on your age. If you and your family are under 50, you're very likely just to have a bad cold. If you're older, it's more dangerous.

Roughly 60,000 Americans die of the flu every year, it's actually a somewhat high cause of death; the mortality rate's just not that high compared to the roughly 30 million cases each year.

peterk123

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've training for this all my life. I never clean my coffee cup; I consider the brown stuff stuck to the bottom flavor crystals for the next coffee. Never clean my hands before eating. Never wash my hands after doing number one. Number two, well that depends on the strength of the toilet paper. When camping, nothing is washed, just wiped down. Don't use disinfectants anywhere. I have built up more tolerance than a cockroach. I am ready.

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Exactly. We've all been living with the flu in our lives as long as I can remember. Made it through all those years
Dont want to argue but look at how China responded in the early days of this. Welding apartment building doors shut, blasting chlorine out of trucks driving down the street, told people not to go to work after a week long holiday, cancelled the start of the new semester, cops in protective gear literally dragging people out of their homes kicking and screaming, quarantined something like 65 mil people, walled off neighborhoods and basically shot their economy in the foot all over the seasonal flu? NFW... That is the tell for me. Actions speak louder than words and what China did and is doing now is telling me that they know exactly what that thing is and is capable of doing and it for damn sure is not the flu.

Also, Costco in Everett seemed normal today. Saw a couple of people wearing masks (Asian fwiw) and didnt notice any stocking up behavior by other shoppers. No pre-panic vibe going on that I could tell. Tons of water, tp, etc. However, as I was trying to scan some severe flu meds, it requires an ID so the Costco guy showed up and without me saying anything he knew what the deal was. Got the feeling that enough people were buying flu meds that he had become accustomed to it.

Top Bottom