Corn for trout?

Was wondering if you guys and gals use corn up north. If not you should put 3 or 4 kernels on a hook and try it. Down here in the south we use niblet corn from a can as bait for trout. They love it.

Supposedly kills the fish. The can't digest it.
Green Giant was what we used. Tannerite and a net work too.

"When you can think of no more reason to do so - continue"
-F. N. Landry
- February 18, 1960

Supposedly kills the fish.

So does eating the fish, supposedly.[rolleyes]

Used to use corn in the Ozarks if fishing to keep. Also, a record trout was caught on a French fry. In recent years I flyfish and more often than not catch and release.

when i was a kid in the late 50's and diversity and immigrants were cool, me and my buddies met a grammer school pal and his dad (of greek origin) at the local fishing place. his dad said "dough balls" was perfect bait for what we now call pan fish and whipped out a loaf of wonder bread and we all pinched off a bit and squished it up and cast our lines. we lay there and listened to mr. panos' stories of his fishing exploits as a child in the old country and his time in the greek resistance in wwII but never caught a damn fish on dough balls. we did spend a lot of time reeling in and replacing the balls of soggy dough cause soggy dough just disintegrates off the hook. 60 years later i still remember fishing that day with mr. panos, best fishing day of my life. keep your corn, dough balls all the way!

I used to use dough balls all the time fishing for bluegill as a kid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im suprised noones mentioned it..you put the corn in a 5 gallon bucket or coffie can (if your going small).add water and seal.place it outside...in the sun if its cold for 3-7 days. It will germinate, its called "sour corn" it doesnt hurt the fish. If you forget the corn it becomes "soured corn" and it is used as bait for hogs

I seriously doubt cook canned corn is bad of if place on a hook, the sour corn works great when you pour it around the boat orjust off shore

Me and my friends used corn to catch carp from the Merrimack river in Lowell MA back in the 70's. Worked great pulled some 14lb'ers from there. Biggest junk fish we ever caught. Never ate any, thank God. The river back then was a raw sewer.

Back then by St John's hospital the river banks had just been re-done with granite boulders. It was a real good job and you could access the river banks very easily. Just walk down the newly placed granite blocks and throw your line in. Now all the granite is overgrown with vegetation.

I remember an outdoor expo as a child, at the Bayside maybe? They had tanks of trout set up for kids to fish... catch and release obviously, rent the rod for 15 minutes or some such (I can BARELY remember - I was very young.)
I DO remember them using niblet corn as bait.

Im suprised noones mentioned it..you put the corn in a 5 gallon bucket or coffie can (if your going small).add water and seal.place it outside...in the sun if its cold for 3-7 days. It will germinate, its called "sour corn" it doesnt hurt the fish. If you forget the corn it becomes "soured corn" and it is used as bait for hogs

I seriously doubt cook canned corn is bad of if place on a hook, the sour corn works great when you pour it around the boat orjust off shore

I take a posthole digger and dig a hole about 4 feet deep. I pore a bag of deer corn in the hole and two cans of beer on top of the corn. I usually get hot and sweaty so I drink the other 4 cans. When the hogs find it they try to dig up all the fermented corn, but never get to the bottom. This will last for almost a year and you only payed for one bag of corn.

As a kid, my dad and I fished with corn and crawlers. We'd break the crawler in half, put it on the hook, add one or two pieces of corn (so the fish could see the bait better, is the reason I was told). We'd also throw handfuls of corn out to attract the fish to our spot.

I heard the "it's illegal because the fish can't digest it" for years, and don't believe it. Just this year alone, I've pulled sticks, rocks and a thumbnail sized snail from fish's stomachs (I always cut open the stomach after cleaning to see what bait I need to use). If they can digest this crap, they sure can eat a flipping niblet.

Back
Top Bottom