• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Corn Cob Media / Cat Litter at Ocean State Job Lot

beaker

NES Member
I was in Job Lot today, saw that they had PETCO cat litter (corn cob media), 17 lbs for 12.99. I've read that some say this works well for tumbling. I paid a lot more with shipping...

IMG_20121013_131653.jpg

Corn cob pet bedding is not the same as corn cob tumbling/blast media. A corn cob is made up on three parts: the pith, chaff, and woody ring. Corncob tumbler/blast media is made from the woody ring only, which is ground up and screened for grit size.

The stuff in your picture is unscreened ground up whole cobs with the gummy pith and chaff included. Try it if you want, but it's not as good as the stuff designed for cleaning. If you tumble .223 in it, you might end up wasting a lot of brass.

The real stuff is about the same price (free shipping):
http://www.drillspot.com/products/499763/econoline_526020g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

Last edited:
Corn cob pet bedding is not the same as corn cob tumbling/blast media. A corn cob is made up on three parts: the pith, chaff, and woody ring. Corncob tumbler/blast media is made from the woody ring only, which is ground up and screened for grit size.

The stuff in your picture is unscreened ground up whole cobs with the gummy pith and chaff included. Try it if you want, but it's not as good as the stuff designed for cleaning. If you tumble .223 in it, you might end up wasting a lot of brass.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/499763/econoline_526020g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

^^This

I got a big bag of The Andersons Grit-o-Cobs 14/20 from the local boatyard.

OK, let this thread become a warning to others! Don't use this stuff. Thanks for the info!

This.

Anyone who has bought/traded brass from me knows how clean I like to get the stuff. I buy the Petco Walnut bedding all the time and it works great, but the pet store corncob is shit. One other thing to remember on top of what EC said: That pet store corn cob isn't metered for size. Some of that shit will get hung up in the brass with small case mouths and you'll NEVER get it out.

I've been told by a couple of guys that do a lot of reloading that this stuff is excellent. I'm going to give it a try.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752164

p3764644t300x300.jpg

Last time I got this from Petco.com they had a buy 2 get one free sale and also had a free shipping special on orders over $49. I was also buying flea collars so I got 3 bags and 3 collars. Yah, I was getting itchy! I ordered on a Tuesday and UPS delivered Thursday afternoon. I filled 3 tumblers and 2 1/2 five gallon buckets. Mice love the stuff so you should put it in something mouseproof.

I made the mistake of getting some slightly bigger corn cob media (it was 3 bucks for 10-15lbs at wal-mart) and I basically ruined a few hundred .223 casings as they got packed with these things and there was no getting them out. Live and learn I guess, and be weary of size. After that a brass angel dropped off like 2K casings, so all was good in the world.

Mike

Clint Sales in Beverly MA stocks corn cob & walnut

Here's the contact info
Clint Sales and Mfg.
P.O. Box #314
Beverly, MA 01915
v. (978) 927-3010

Talk to Cindy - Mention the board and ask for the green price - even if you're not green [grin]

Hey EC: Thanks for this link. How dusty is this stuff? Does it last a while or break down quickly?

The blasting media is ridiculously dusty when dry, so I add a splash of mineral spirits to each batch. It lasts forever, or until you get disgusted by the dark gray color.

Clint Sales in Beverly MA stocks corn cob & walnut

Here's the contact info
Clint Sales and Mfg.
P.O. Box #314
Beverly, MA 01915
v. (978) 927-3010

Talk to Cindy - Mention the board and ask for the green price - even if you're not green [grin]

Thanks for the tip.
I talked to Cindy. They currently have in stock Corn cob media, but do not stock Walnut. She says, if there is interest, she can get the stock.

On the size of the media, she suggested that some relo0aders buy from her corn cob in 10-14 grit, and walnut in 8-12.
Any comments on size?

Back
Top Bottom