• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cori Checks

expedition03

NES Member
I have a question, I work for the state and I had to fill out a Cori background sheet today. Does that show if you have an LTC and own firearms? I am a bit nervous about this.

As the other poster said, no and why would you be nervous about this? You are in the system as well as any firearms you have purchased via FA10.

The Commonwealth has a record of you as well as your fingerprints. What am I not getting here? But no, a CORI check tells nothing about your firearms licensing status and the fact you have a LTC means you have a clean record.

I am retired from the state, had to pass a far more comprehensive background check than a CORI check and knowledge of LTC was known. Nobody cared. My union contract prohibited me from carrying while working but that was it. The state could care less as long as you abide by any workplace rules regarding carrying while working.

Last edited:
Nothing to worry about--even I passed every year when I was coaching youth sports.

You are worried about a CORI check???

I thought all the bad stuff was omitted in case "You were just getting your life together".

Caddy Deval likes 2nd chances, and 3rds, and 4th, etc.

CORI is the school diddler check I thought. Any time they send out school permission slips and requests for chaperones they say you must pass a cori check. Only place I've ever heard of it is with the schools. I get the notice all the time since I have 3 little ones.

As the other poster said, no and why would you be nervous about this? You are in the system as well as any firearms you have purchased via FA10.

The Commonwealth has a record of you as well as your fingerprints. What am I not getting here? But no, a CORI check tells nothing about your firearms licensing status and the fact you have a LTC means you have a clean record.

I am retired from the state, had to pass a far more comprehensive background check than a CORI check and knowledge of LTC was known. Nobody cared. My union contract prohibited me from carrying while working but that was it. The state could care less as long as you abide by any workplace rules regarding carrying while working.

I thought you were a retired LEO?

People with LTC's are the good guys. We are the ones who go through the hoops to legally purchase,own,carry firearms. It is no ones business that I have a LTC but if they know, I don't care.

CORI is the school diddler check I thought. Any time they send out school permission slips and requests for chaperones they say you must pass a cori check. Only place I've ever heard of it is with the schools. I get the notice all the time since I have 3 little ones.
There are multiple levels of CORI check.

LE gets everything, even CWOFs and dismissed charges.

Most employers get only convictions.

Schools and child care employers get a bit more detail, but still not absolutely everything.

The restrictions are to prevent private employers from knowing stuff they "should not use against you" (like dismissed charges, though I think that child care places still get those) as part of the Deval CORI reform. LE gets everything so that can used dropped charges, acquitals, etc. against you.

But no, a CORI check tells nothing about your firearms licensing status and the fact you have a LTC means you have a clean record.
It depends on what you mean by "clean".

An LTC holder may have non-dq offenses on his/her record, as well as CWOFs, not guilty findings and dismissed charges. (though some of these things are invisible to non-LEO authorized queries)

You are worried about a CORI check???

I thought all the bad stuff was omitted in case "You were just getting your life together".

Caddy Deval likes 2nd chances, and 3rds, and 4th, etc.

A liberal school department official / crazy parent in charge of a youth sport may not like the idea of a firearm owner being around young children, regardless of how asinine any of would consider that).

The less information available to people like that is better.

There are multiple levels of CORI check. LE gets everything, even CWOFs and dismissed charges. Most employers get only convictions. Schools and child care employers get a bit more detail, but still not absolutely everything. The restrictions are to prevent private employers from knowing stuff they "should not use against you" (like dismissed charges, though I think that child care places still get those) as part of the Deval CORI reform. LE gets everything so that can used dropped charges, acquitals, etc. against you. It depends on what you mean by "clean". An LTC holder may have non-dq offenses on his/her record, as well as CWOFs, not guilty findings and dismissed charges. (though some of these things are invisible to non-LEO authorized queries)

LE doesn't use CORI it uses a BOP please refrain from using the term CORI in that context as it causes confusion When you apply for a LTC a BOP is run not a CORI. Sometimes people will have a CORI run or have had a CORI run and they will come back clean and apply for a LTC only to be DQ'd. The police see EVERYTHING but it's not a CORI. It's a BOP Bureau of Probation check.

A liberal school department official / crazy parent in charge of a youth sport may not like the idea of a firearm owner being around young children, regardless of how asinine any of would consider that). The less information available to people like that is better.

You will note that the OP stated that he is doing this in conjunction with state employment. I'd like to see some state employee terminated for having a LTC unless not having one was a condition of employment (maybe an ADA for example) it would make one hell of a union grievance. Forget that "at will" stuff because unless you are management for better or worse state workers work under and are protected by contract.

A family friend, very responsible lady, works as a nanny, for fun completed the NRA Women on Target class (with GOAL's superlative Jon Green as classroom instructor), planned to apply for her LTC in her green town. But she's having second thoughts about the LTC out of concern that next time she applies for a nanny position and the hiring parents do the customary CORI, her LTC will show up and the parents might have questions. We told her an LTC would be a plus if we were doing the hiring. In any event, would an LTC in fact show up on a CORI report?

Last edited:
A family friend, very responsible lady, works as a nanny, for fun completed the NRA Women on Target class (with GOAL's superlative Jon Green as classroom instructor), planned to apply for her LTC in her green town. But she's having second thoughts about the LTC out of concern that next time she applies for a nanny position and the hiring parents do the customary CORI, her LTC will show up and the parents might have questions. We told her an LTC would be a plus if we were doing the hiring. In any event, would an LTC in fact show up on a CORI report?

I believe LTC information is protected sort of like HIPAA except only LEOs can see it.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/dcjis/dcjis-statement-on-release-of-information-on-firearms.html

Last edited:
There are multiple levels of CORI check.

LE gets everything, even CWOFs and dismissed charges.

Most employers get only convictions.

Even then it depends on context.

When my police department does a check for an LTC or a police officer applicant, they get a BOP run just like we run people who are arrested--we get everything DCJIS has. But if someone applies for a civilian position at the PD, we pull a CORI in the manner any other employer would, presumably because we have to abide by the laws that limit what level of a CORI check an employer would get in the circumstance.

LE doesn't use CORI it uses a BOP please refrain from using the term CORI in that context as it causes confusion When you apply for a LTC a BOP is run not a CORI. Sometimes people will have a CORI run or have had a CORI run and they will come back clean and apply for a LTC only to be DQ'd. The police see EVERYTHING but it's not a CORI. It's a BOP Bureau of Probation check.

A BOP is far more detailed than a CORI. It contains every step of the case process, including what fees were paid, how the case was resolved (jury trial, etc.), whether or not the defendant defaulted, etc. And it's all written in code.

A CORI is cleaned up and simplified in plain English with less detail for people who have no familiarization with court system.

NN

You gotta get off the Double R Bar more Roy and get into Mineral City more often. The question was answered iN the second post and I answered it in my first post. The answer is NO ! Roy I ' ll bet you didn't post this cuz you are way too smart to ask questions that have already been answered. I'm guessing that Pat Brady is using your NES account while you have been out catching cattle rustlers and pitching woo with Dale.

Ha. Yes, I saw the earlier answer, just wasn't sure of applicability in this context. Thanks for the info.

NN

You gotta get off the Double R Bar more Roy and get into Mineral City more often. The question was answered iN the second post and I answered it in my first post. The answer is NO ! Roy I ' ll bet you didn't post this cuz you are way too smart to ask questions that have already been answered. I'm guessing that Pat Brady is using your NES account while you have been out catching cattle rustlers and pitching woo with Dale.

Back
Top Bottom