Corbin HCT-1 Cannelure tool review

The Anchor

NES Member
so a while back i picked up some really cheap 500 S&W bullets. They are 400 grain Winchester Platinum tip JHP. They did not have a cannelure, but for the price i figured i could get the bullets and the tool for less then i would pay for the barnes XPB i was using ( trying to rationalize another specialty tool purchase). i picked up 300 bullets to start, for $100 shipped, picked up the cannelure tool from Corbin for $175 shipped, for a total of $275, which is still a savings over the XPB @$1/piece.

tool is pretty well thought out, and staightforward.
IMG_0579[1].jpg
comes with the tool, instruction, two screws and two allen wrenches

instructions were easy to use, as was adjusting the tool.
IMG_0573[1].jpg
first was to adjust the tool for bigger bullets ( cases), which just required removing an o-ring from the pivot pin, and reloacting the upper arm into the higher pivot hole with the pin, and replacing the o-ring.

next was to set the cannelure wheel with the provided wrench. fine tuning adjustments are accomplished with another allen srew and nut. I measured the cannelure on the loaded winchester round, and set the cannelure just a few thousandth closer to the base so my oal, will be a hair longer oal.
IMG_0574[1].jpg

next you adjust the cannelure depth stop, by positioning the bolt stop to the desired dept. instructions state to place the bullet into the rollers, close the handle, set the stop bolt so that it just raises the wheel off the bullet, then adjust the screw back a little moe then 1/4 turn to get a depth between .010 and .015.
now your ready to run the cannelure into the bullet.
they recommend 2-3 full turns of the handle. i turned 3 times. i also tilted the tool so it was pitched back to the allen stop bolt, to keep the bullet from walking forward.

IMG_0577[1].jpg

finally it took about 30-35 minutes to run all 300 through. i mounted the tool to my desk so i could use my body to press down, but it still gets tiresome. i did switch arms, and it worked just as easily. quality of the tool is first rate, and it looks like it will take a lot of bullets before the wheel wears out.

IMG_0578[1].jpg

now to build a recipe for the handload.....

I have looked up a few recipes for the 400 grainers and have some of the suggested powders. Let me know if you want some help in the testing department. I have a 4" 500, a chronograph, and am going nuts sitting here on this couch. [smile]

i have some h-110, but was looking for some longshot to use. if you are headed out to SRGC sunday, i'll bring some for you to load

Found some long shot today so will work some up with that too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom