Copy of 4473 on lower receiver

I am planning a pistol caliber carbine build in the near future. I know that I complete the 4473 when I pick up the receiver, but was wondering if it was appropriate to ask for a copy of the form for my own records. Is there a reason why an FFL wouldn't or couldn't make a photo copy for me?

Thanks for the feedback.

Unless they're old cranks that don't have some way of making a copy on the premises, there's no reason legally or otherwise says

that they can't.

I'd get a receipt for the transfer but frankly a 4473 just isn't necessary. I've bought a shitload of guns over the years and I've never gotten a 4473 copy.

There's other good reasons to NOT have 4473 copies laying around the house but I'm not going to get into that here.

-Mike

I'd get a receipt for the transfer but frankly a 4473 just isn't necessary. I've bought a shitload of guns over the years and I've never gotten a 4473 copy.

There's other good reasons to NOT have 4473 copies laying around the house but I'm not going to get into that here.

-Mike

^^this
i've never asked for copy of 4473.
receipt is nice to have though for many reasons.

OP are you talking about the 4473 or the FA10 form? Never heard of the customer getting a copy of a 4473.

Yes, the 4473. My thinking is that it will be a while before I complete the build and therefore won't have an FA10.

I am probably overthinking it and the receipt is probably good enough like others have mentioned. I tend to er on the side of caution in this wacky city & state and thought it would be a good idea to have the copy of the 4473 as evidence that I acquired it properly.

On the 4473 the gun shop has to indicate on the form that the receiver is a "pistol" a "rifle" or an "other".

Given that the receiver can be used to make a pistol or a rifle , the shop BETTER have indicated it is an "other".

If they mark it as a pistol or rifle and you don't build it as marked , this may be a problem for you.

Trust but verify...and have proof !

I've never had anyone ask for a copy of the 4473 nor even ask how the lower was declared on the form.
Especially in Massachusetts it's currently a moot point because it's nigh impossible to make an AR pistol that meets the AWB weight requirements.

Other can be a pistol or rifle
Pistol can be a pistol or rifle
Rifle can be a rifile

Since you're building a rifle, it doesn't matter how it was declared. If you're concerned about proof of ownership, ask for a receipt, but generally, eh...

Back
Top Bottom