• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cops stop someone doing open carry

I get it, but it's just more of a tactical advantage that the evil doers don't know you are armed. Yes, I used the word tactical.

LOL.

I do what works for me because it works for me, not because I am trying to play chess with the goblins, but how about this?

http://www.examiner.com/article/open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-kennesaw

How many times do you think that happens and no one ever finds out? At least as often as an OC'er becomes target #1.

None of us know what the goblin is going to do.

I get it, but it's just more of a tactical advantage that the evil doers don't know you are armed. Yes, I used the word tactical.

DO A BARREL ROLL! I mean, er-uh, TACTICALLLLLLLLL! Alright, then carry concealed, by all means. I CC here in MA, nothing wrong with it. But this thread is about OC....

Plus, I bought a nice-looking top-grain leather holster and want to show it off to all the fine citizens around me. YMMV (ugly-ass Kydex-carrying mother****ers)

I don't get this:

1. Why carry an unloaded gun?

Because at one time in CA that was the only legal way to open carry. So the attention whore types all resorted to unloaded OC. It was certainly their right but its about the dumbest idea going- since ANYONE would know that an OCer in CA that wasnt uniformed LEO was -probably- carrying unloaded... so now you're just a target for a thug with a shovel in CA instead of a deterrent.

-Mike

LOL.

I do what works for me because it works for me, not because I am trying to play chess with the goblins, but how about this?

Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw - Atlanta gun rights | Examiner.com

How many times do you think that happens and no one ever finds out? At least as often as an OC'er becomes target #1.

None of us know what the goblin is going to do.

I don't like the "OC makes you a target" meme, either (I think it's pure BS, I think generally speaking its more of a deterrent!) but in the case of CA at least it was a bad idea. Deductive reasoning goes something like this- if I was a BG there, I would be like "Most OCers are not criminals like me- they're law abiding gun owners. A law abiding gun owner in this state, odds are, does not have a loaded gun if they're walking around in public with it- because they're constantly getting pinged by the PoPo for having a gun open on them. I now see one of these as a guy with a free gun to take that has ZERO chance of using it against me." In this realm, OC becomes an invitation rather than a deterrent . Someone might argue uncommon knowledge but these guys have been on TV out there a dozen or so times at least in the past few years.

-Mike

This. Its not illegal, but the fact that your chief can permanently yank your LTC because you do something he doesn't like/have bad breath/open carry is a real and scary possibility.

Laws don't tell you what you CAN do, only set punishments for what you CAN'T do. MGL just says "carry" nothing about concealed/open.

In MA im not even worried about LTC revocation as much as I am the stuff that might lead up to it, even if that doensn't happen.

Take for example the lawyer in springfield who got his gun and LTC taken away from him, and was detained in the back of a cruiser while douchey mc douche cop checked his LTC, and then more or less stole his gun and LTC and the lawyer had to make serious noise to get it back. He never lost his LTC or gun in the end, but the whole thing was an epic cluster****.

-Mike

I don't like the "OC makes you a target" meme, either (I think it's pure BS, I think generally speaking its more of a deterrent!) but in the case of CA at least it was a bad idea. Deductive reasoning goes something like this- if I was a BG there, I would be like "Most OCers are not criminals like me- they're law abiding gun owners. A law abiding gun owner in this state, odds are, does not have a loaded gun if they're walking around in public with it- because they're constantly getting pinged by the PoPo for having a gun open on them. I now see one of these as a guy with a free gun to take that has ZERO chance of using it against me." In this realm, OC becomes an invitation rather than a deterrent . Someone might argue uncommon knowledge but these guys have been on TV out there a dozen or so times at least in the past few years.

-Mike

I don't disagree and I haven't seen this particular video (no access during the day), but most of the OCing in CA that I have heard about has been an explicit political statement/protest and not meaningful self defense.

I don't disagree and I haven't seen this particular video (no access during the day), but most of the OCing in CA that I have heard about has been an explicit political statement/protest and not meaningful self defense.

Go figure I didn't realize the OP thing was in Eugene, Oregon, so the OCer in that case may just have been dumb and not trying to comply with some kinda law. I think my brain jumped to ASSuming it was CA because that's the only place I heard of this unloaded OC business.

Thank god its Friday.

-Mike

DO A BARREL ROLL! I mean, er-uh, TACTICALLLLLLLLL!

Barrel rolls are tacticool, not tactical. I believe it makes one impervious to gun fire and increases your headshot capability by 1000% when you do though.

Back
Top Bottom