• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cops seize AR-15, military grade bullets in Paterson

****ing fearmongering yellow journalism...and the world is full of ignoramuses that fall for it, hook, line and sinker. [banghead]

Paterson, unless it's changed substantially in the last 15 years or so, is what some on this board would refer to as a "BDC".

My bet is that this was a shared, "community gun" that gets rented out to various Bad Guys to do bad things with. Reason being, the story just says that it was removed from an address, based on a tip, and doesn't mention the gun having been in anyone's possession at the time. If that was a community gun then yeah, the cops likely did take a gun off of the streets that likely would have been used in the commission of a violent crime sooner or later.

If it was a stolen gun I hope an effort is made to return it to its rightful owner.

Thats a Larue Tactical costa limited edition that was stolen in New Jersey. The guy that had it stolen from him posted pics a few months ago now this. He'll be lucky if he gets it back from the police.

Paterson, unless it's changed substantially in the last 15 years or so, is what some on this board would refer to as a "BDC".

My bet is that this was a shared, "community gun" that gets rented out to various Bad Guys to do bad things with. Reason being, the story just says that it was removed from an address, based on a tip, and doesn't mention the gun having been in anyone's possession at the time. If that was a community gun then yeah, the cops likely did take a gun off of the streets that likely would have been used in the commission of a violent crime sooner or later.

If it was a stolen gun I hope an effort is made to return it to its rightful owner.

I've always wondered how that worked.

Do they have a sign out sheet or log book to keep track of who has it out?

Is there a time limit on how long you can keep it, and are there any overdue fines for returning it late?

Are you responsible for replacing any ammunition used, and cleaning the gun before you return it?

Can you use your own magazines?

If it's a particularly popular firearm, can you put your name on a waiting list?

We will never know because the story isn't about why it was confiscated or from whom. The story is about a SCARY looking GUN!!!

****ing fearmongering yellow journalism...and the world is full of ignoramuses that fall for it, hook, line and sinker. [banghead]

onoz_omg.gif

Thankfully there was only a ten round mag and they weren't 5.56 armor piercing bullets.

I've always wondered how that worked.

Do they have a sign out sheet or log book to keep track of who has it out?
Is there a time limit on how long you can keep it, and are there any overdue fines for returning it late?
Are you responsible for replacing any ammunition used, and cleaning the gun before you return it?
Can you use your own magazines?
If it's a particularly popular firearm, can you put your name on a waiting list?

[laugh2] [rofl]

I only know what I read in the newspapers, but this is how it works, as I understand it.

Typically there's a fairly small number of people, usually gang members, who know where the gun is. The idea is to create plausible deniability. No one has to possess it until they actually need it. That way if you're actually stopped by the police while MYOB and they frisk you, you're not carrying a gun around. (Unlicensed, prohibited person, etc., etc.) No need to keep it in your home or your vehicle, either, both of which are subject to search. Also if you're hanging out on the street and trouble breaks out you can run and get a gun from a known location nearby to defend yourself or another gang member.

Not sure about ammo but I don't think these guys really care all that much about cleaning.

Of course little kids can find the public locations where these guns are kept, that's one of the hazards.

What baffles me about that AR is that typically, community guns are handguns. Easy to stash in a concealed location, easy to carry concealed on your person. Not sure why someone would turn an AR into a community gun, except maybe they happened to come into possession of it and wanted to share.

"The officer working together with the individual removed and extremely dangerous weapon from our streets," Speziale said. "I am thankful for all involved in removing this deadly weapon in making the city for Paterson."

Why can't I ever find one of these guns just lying in the street?

"The officer working together with the individual removed and extremely dangerous weapon from our streets," Speziale said. "I am thankful for all involved in removing this deadly weapon in making the city for Paterson."

Why can't I ever find one of these guns just lying in the street?

You're looking in the wrong place.

Back
Top Bottom