• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cops lie, excersized the hell out of those rights tonight, and learned!

i was once pulled over and told that a vehicle matching my discription was stolen. i laughed and said nice try that was used on me as a teenager growing up many times. I asked if he ran the plates before pulling me over he said no, then I said so you pulled me over for no reason then. he called me a smart ass and told me to get out of here. i wish i knew my right when i was growing up. i teach them to my kid all the time hopefully they are programed into her by the time she's a teenager. Nice job OP the more people who know and practice their rights hopefully law enforcement will catch on people have rights. and before i get neg rep again i'm not talking about all leo's or bashing.

Bombings do not make the bill of rights void.
if they did then the founding fathers would have put such a clause to tell us.
police look for any reason to violate your rights. Theyve tried w me over and over and they always lose.
to the OP, only thing i can think of is to just stay in your car and keep calm. The cops can consider someones behavior "suspicious" as grounds for a search. Therefore the more relaxed a person remains, the less "ammunition" is given to the cop.

Yeah, 20 years ago I would have just let them search it. But then the internet happened, then the endless supply of cops gone wild videos started flowing and I started learning about what my rights are. They can blame themselves for tonight's failure, if it wasn't for the 17,483 out of control cop videos I've seen on youtube I never would have bothered learning I even have any rights.

Quote of the year.

I don't get it. These are people who I grew up with and they act as if I take the bombings as a joke. My parents were supposed to be in the grandstand that day, my father was invited to it as a gift for his ongoing consultancy post retirement. The only reason they weren't there was that my mom was in the beginning phases of getting very sick.

but they tell me Im ridiculous for criticizing the response and the whole mindless "boston strong" mantra. Im sorry, nothing was "strong" about a bunch of hipsters cowering under their Ikea furniture, clutching iPads as if they were security blankets.

Yet Im ridiculous because I think depending on government to protect us is signing our own death warrants. Im ridiculous because I carry a loaded weapon and have started studying disaster preparedness. Will it be ridiculous when I help someone because I was prepared and kept medical supplies in my truck as I've done many times in the past?

Am I ridiculous when I say the Boston bombings and the response will lead to interruptions of civil liberties that they aren't going to be so supportive of next time? GODDAMNIT I need a drink.

No even remotely ridiculous. We, in this once fine nation, far too easily sacrifice our liberties for promise of perceived safety. Yes, it is a dangerous world out there. If you are too afraid of it stay home and shelter in place, but don't you dare take away my liberty to "feel" safer.

I would take a dangerous but free world over a police state any day of the week and twice on Sunday. That is what 4/19/13 was REALLY about.

- - - Updated - - -

Bombings do not make the bill of rights void.
if they did then the founding fathers would have put such a clause to tell us.
police look for any reason to violate your rights. Theyve tried w me over and over and they always lose.
to the OP, only thing i can think of is to just stay in your car and keep calm. The cops can consider someones behavior "suspicious" as grounds for a search. Therefore the more relaxed a person remains, the less "ammunition" is given to the cop.

Correct, there is no clause or amendment in the Constitution that allows for its suspension.

Glad it worked out for you and you don't have a video of you saying am I free to go 600 times in 3 minutes. I understand what they are doing but they are like a 3 year old with the "I know you are but what am I"

Any legal peeps know if there are any state laws stand out when it comes to these situations? It seems that every other video you see involving this has someone referring to state law wherever they are. Anything special in New England that people should be aware of? Precedents, laws about producing identification, giving your full name, etc.

You only need to produce ID if you are suspected of a specific crime. If you are a passenger in a car that is stopped for an infraction, the police have no business with you what so ever. You can get out and walk away if you want. Seriously.

If a cop is asking you if he can search you or your car, that means they have no probable cause. If he did, he wouldn't be asking.

A trooper searched my car once when I was young . He dumped all the butts from my ashtray on the floor, dumped my tool box all over the back seat, tore the whole car apart like an @hole.

Always say no. Repeat until they get bored and let you go.

If a cop is asking you if he can search you or your car, that means they have no probable cause. If he did, he wouldn't be asking.

Not necessarily. If the cop has probable cause, (s)he may still try to get consent so that the subject cannot contest the probable cause in court.

I'm not surprised at all coming from the Greenfield PD (The I Wish We Were Cool Like Springfield PD). They want so much to be "Bad Boys"... Was one of them Hawaiian? Trust me, Greenfield PD doesn't even like cops from neighboring towns. I know from experience...

I know this was on here before but I will leave this right here

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking back I should have went with "Am I free to go" after I was told "You're not going to get very far with your attitude" instead of "it got me the F* out of here without being searched now didnt it", but they handled that well too. I kind of felt bad about a few minutes later driving down the road after I calmed down a bit.

No, I like your response better. You have nothing to feel bad about at all! Anyone would have been pissed, and your comment was as civil as any at that point.

Disagree. Because you were doing nothing wrong. This is EVEN more reasoned stand firm.

After he was let go, it wouldn't have been about standing firm, it would have been even more icing on the cake to say to them "see? you were wrong all along for no damn reason."

Gotta stay away from the Woods , Oak Court , or the Gardens LOL . GPD has always had JBT's even back in the 70's/ 80's
Actually armory st. They seemed to have pretty extensive knowledge of the place so I was standing there thinking 'you know all this shit yet here you are screwing with me, put on your big boy pants, go play army and raid the goddamn apartment(s)'.

After he was let go, it wouldn't have been about standing firm, it would have been even more icing on the cake to say to them "see? you were wrong all along for no damn reason."

Like Terraformer says, it's still a categorically dumb idea. all you're going to do is piss off a bunch of "ZOMG WAR ON DRUGZ" types that are already annoyed that you defeated them because you knew the law as good or better than they did. If I did something like that with my luck there would be a couple of motrin pills that come flying out of my pocket and even though they're not illegal in any way shape or form, next thing you know, you get the SI all over again..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAn7baRbhx4

Was one of them Hawaiian?
No, one black others were white. Sucks that the black guy was pretty silent, I was waiting for him to join in so I could pull the reverse race card just to get off the topic of the main cop gaining 'girlfriend access' to my pants.

Rule #1 in life and work. Don't promise or threaten things you can't follow through on... And choose your battles. Its served me very well in my job, and I don't end up looking like a douche. Sounds like they missed that class. If I can search, or detain, or arrest, I just do it. No need for histrionics.

Credit card sized "quick reference guides" would be helpful out there, especially one with some sort of flow chart on how to respond when questioned.

Serious question here, we all know that cops lie. What prevents them (the cops) from claiming the suspect gave them permission to search? It would be the suspect's word against the cops, and we all know how that would come out. I'm assuming there weren't multiple witnesses, or a recording of some type.

Rule #1 in life and work. Don't promise or threaten things you can't follow through on... And choose your battles. Its served me very well in my job, and I don't end up looking like a douche. Sounds like they missed that class. If I can search, or detain, or arrest, I just do it. No need for histrionics.
But if you can convince the detainee to give up their rights, a "can't" magically becomes a "can", right?

Serious question here, we all know that cops lie. What prevents them (the cops) from claiming the suspect gave them permission to search? It would be the suspect's word against the cops, and we all know how that would come out. I'm assuming there weren't multiple witnesses, or a recording of some type.

The dash cam of you flipping out ?

Sad that I have to ask this but anyway, do they need any probable cause to actually have you get out of the car?

Any legal peeps know if there are any state laws stand out when it comes to these situations? It seems that every other video you see involving this has someone referring to state law wherever they are. Anything special in New England that people should be aware of? Precedents, laws about producing identification, giving your full name, etc.

If you are driving you need to produce a drivers license.

I do not believe you are required in MA/NH to provide your name if you are riding in a car/walking unless you are being arrested.

Back
Top Bottom