Cop Shoots Cop in West Roxbury

J

JellyFish

Drunk cops, out of control, drawing their firearms against each other??? And they give us a hard time when we go for something as simple as a license renewal?

This city, its mayor and its police department sicken me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: Cop shot fellow officer
By O’Ryan Johnson and Michele McPhee
Friday, June 23, 2006 - Updated: 12:16 AM EST

A Boston police officer sent a .40-caliber round speeding through the hip of a fellow officer early yesterday morning in West Roxbury as the two argued over whether he was sober enough to drive, sources said.
The injured cop, Officer Joseph Behnke, was taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital where he was treated and released for a non-life-threatening wound, police said.
The shooting capped a night of drinking by Boston cops that began on a boat docked off the Venizia in Dorchester, wound through more Dorchester bars and landed at Behnke’s West Roxbury home, a high-ranking police source said.
The shooter was attempting to leave the home when Behnke approached, telling him he was in no shape to drive and asking him to stay. The source said an argument ensued and the shooter pulled his Glock .40-caliber semi-automatic, shooting Behnke in the hip.
“It’s a disgrace,” the source said. “For a cop to pull out his gun and shoot another cop is a disgrace. He should be locked up.”
Following the shooting the trigger man drove away and Behnke, whose wife is a nurse, drove him to Brigham and Women’s Hospital where he was treated and released.
The shooter was identified as a cop assigned to South Boston with about 20 years on the department. Behnke has about four to five years on the force, a source siad.
Police and the district attorney’s office would not confirm the story, but said they are investigating.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=145100&format=text

Don't worry. He'll be treated just like any of us would given the same set of circumstances.

(pauses to let the disgust-laden laughter subside)

Capping off a night of drinking and driving all night long while carrying a concealed weapon by shooting the cop who tried to take the car keys away.

Yeah, I think I'd be in deep doo-doo for doing that.

As I wrote here:

Why do I have the unsettling feeling we're about to see the latest episode of the "But, I'm the Victim Here" defense strategy - used most effectively in recent weeks by Rhode Island Congressman Patrick Kennedy - unfold here?

I hope I'm wrong, and this scumbag gets put away for a long, long time, just like one of us commonfolk would, given the same set of circumstances.

But I'm just not seeing that happening here.

I'm seeing a lengthy "investigation" on the horizon, the final write-up of which will likely contain the phrases "accidentally discharged", and "the gun, which Officer _______ believed to be unloaded, then went off", and one a**h*** cop submitting to drug and alcohol counseling in a union-approved method of job/pension/gun rights preservation - a nice little "get out of jail free" card, unavailable to us mere mortals.

Tell me I'm way off base here.

Please.

I wonder if this will put to rest the debate over the stopping power of a 9mm vs .40 S&W load.

Just kidding.

How is it that the SHOOTER'S name was not released? He is obviously not a juvenile. A civilian would have had his/her name all throughout the story.

More "Blue Wall of Silence" obstructionism..........

Ahem, mere possession of a gun while under the influence is now a crime, check it out.

You can almost bet that it also involves some "after hours drinking clubs" and serving intoxicated patrons as well. Other charges that mere civilians will get nailed with, but Boston PD will sweep under the rug in this case. [One of my police assns used to meet in such a place (Boston Police Post with a liquor license) Sunday mornings and had to "sweep out" some of Boston's finest who were still found there at 0600 Sunday on a regular basis. I finally succeeded in convincing our club officers to move our meetings to a "safer area" after we met there for a number of years.]

I also agree that he will not face criminal charges (we would), only some internal disciplinary procedure.

Menino still won't see the forest for the trees.

Chris said:
No wonder Mumbles doesn't want State Troopers 'helping' out the Boston PD. They might just 'help' too much.

Afraid the locals will see competent police in action and wonder why they can't get the same level of professionalism.

mAss Backwards said:
Remember, these are the people Menino wants folks to surrender their guns to.

Um...no thanks.

imagine how different this story would be if the drunk cop had thrown a $200 Target gift card at the other guy...

SiameseRat said:
imagine how different this story would be if the drunk cop had thrown a $200 Target gift card at the other guy...

LMAO!!!!!

How many gun crimes were committed this year by legal gun owners? I think it was this and one other one....

rscalzo said:
Both will be looking for new employment very soon...........[thinking]

I seriously doubt it! Perhaps you don't know how Mumbles and Boston PD works?

I hope you are right to a point. Case should go to a Grand Jury and criminal prosecution is in order, but it will never happen.

Back
Top Bottom