Cop in shootout with 2 in Las Vegas - Great video

That's pretty wild footage. Seems like shooting through his own windshield was a bad call, seeing how he was empty mag when it came time to go out on foot. Glad it worked out though.

That's pretty wild footage. Seems like shooting through his own windshield was a bad call, seeing how he was empty mag when it came time to go out on foot. Glad it worked out though.

Yeah, I also didn't think that it was a good idea shooting through his windshield. It could have caused "spidering" (for lack of a better word) that prevented him from seeing where he was driving.

That's definitely the wildest police video I've ever seen! Unlike other Las Vegas cops we've seen at a 'shooting incident", this cop showed no fear of getting involved and did not back off in the slightest!. Only bobble was his reload as he was exiting his vehicle at the end, thankfully he quickly made it right and did what he had to do.

Although I question his shooting from the vehicle, and through his own windshield on the move, the news person said the departments ROE allowed it under certain circumstances. Hopefully no innocent citizens were injured. I give him an A++

I'm sorry, but two-handed shooting multiple shots while in pursuit? AFTER shooting weak-hand out the window while driving??? DEFINITION of reckless. But at least he went home safe... Yeah, I know, perps, dangerous, suspected in blah blah blah.

And if in fact the departments rules allow it, their rules are inconsistent with THE RULES.

I also question his shooting through the windshield, and in a residential area but he was the boots on the ground.

Shows why often it is the innocent bystander who can get nailed, look at the Grandmother in Weymouth this week

Wow that was nuts. RIP the officer's ears. I hope that 147gr cut through the glass like butter. Nice glock setup too.

I'm not sure that I would try to shoot out my own windshield while in a hi-speed pursuit, just too many downsides. But, I was not there and living through it either.

He was a little rattled towards the end, tried to put his mag in backwards at first.

This video may also serve to illustrate why so many officers may "over-react" when they finally catch the perps. This officer's adrenaline meter must have been off the scale. And you don't come down from that very easily or quickly.

The LEO was being fired upon repeatedly -- he gets plenty of leeway for his choices and actions in my book. Of course, he could have given up the pursuit once the suspects started shooting, but that obviously sets a bad precedent.

The chase went for a while with only one backup unit catching up, for whatever reason. I can see how he felt he had to do something to end it. He did get right up on the suspects's vehicle before firing out of his car each time, cutting off the angles for stray shots.

The LEO was being fired upon repeatedly -- he gets plenty of leeway for his choices and actions in my book. Of course, he could have given up the pursuit once the suspects started shooting, but that obviously sets a bad precedent.

The chase went for a while with only one backup unit catching up, for whatever reason. I can see how he felt he had to do something to end it. He did get right up on the suspects's vehicle before firing out of his car each time, cutting off the angles for stray shots.

One word, ricochet.

And again, THE RULES!

Last edited:
Best police chase that I have ever seen.
I think the officer caused it to end sooner when he shot at them through his own windshield.
Glad he had high caps and a Glock - and extra mags.
Too bad his hearing is shot.
Incredible skills and bravery.

Just shows you have to practice to get muscle memory in high stress situations he had the mag backwards at one point for a second while trying to reload.
I wouldn’t want to be him and think he did a good job.

One word, ricochet.

The LEO was firing roughly 90 degrees into the flat surface of the back of the suspects' SUV. The handgun bullets likely penetrated the car's sheetmetal and lost energy. This is different from, for example, ricochet from firing at the sheetmetal at an extremely shallow angle, where you would get deflection and skipping, or from firing at a harder surface like stone.

Some of you may remember this one that was posted here on NES years ago. There was a healthy discussion of shooing through the window then. I realize that in this scenario the cops were stationary and the suspect was on foot.

Published on May 4, 2013
Warning Graphic ! Gunman Opens Fire on Police with AK47 & Gets Shot Dead

Authorities released terrifying footage of an armed madman shooting up a patrol car in Middlefield, Ohio, turning a routine traffic stop into a combat zone.
Local police told reporters on Friday that they still have no clue why James Gilkerson fired 37 shots at two officers using an AK-47 style assault rifle after the officers pulled him over on March 10, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported.
'He got of the vehicle, intending to kill my officers. We don't know why he did it,' said Middlefield Police Chief Arnold Stanko.The two officers, Erin Thomas and Brandon Savage, returned fire and killed Gilkerson, 42, piercing him with multiple shots.
In the video, Gilkerson can be seen jumping out of his car, which had been pulled over for failing to stop at an intersection, according to the News-Herald, and opening fire on Thomas and Savage.Thomas, who was reportedly outside the patrol car on the driver's side, can be heard giving a surprised yell as bullets berate the car's windshield during the unprovoked shootout.
Savage fired back through his own windshield as he and Thomas took down the psychotic gunman.

Not a fun situation to be in particularly when he was sitting with his door open, no cover, and an empty gun right near the shooters vehicle. Fortunately it seems like they were either out of ammo or disabled at the time or it could have been bad. I mean, I read about it before seeing the video and was still nervous for him.

Back
Top Bottom