• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coonan firearms fiasco

DW357

NES Member
**UPDATE** Bank of America refunded me the money today. That's a big relief.

So I’ll try to avoid turning this into a novel where no one wants to read the OP.

Long story short I placed an order with Coonan directly for one of their new satin finish 357 mag 1911’s back in early March. Was quoted 8-10 weeks for a build time...

Here it is October and I still haven’t received it.

Between March and August (last email response I received) I’ve been given all kinds of excuses. Behind on orders, received bad parts from an outsourced vendor, employees and vendors on vacation, we’re a small company etc

In June I received a phone call from Dan Coonan (president of Coonan) telling me they’re behind due to bad parts and my pistol won’t ship until September....

Since August 30th no one has answered the phones and no one responds to emails. Including when I called Dan Coonan on his cell - voicemail is full. Their last Facebook post was on 9/27.

I got in contact with fellow frustrated customers through the Coonan reviews section on their FB page. Seems like I’m not alone. They’ve all been fed the same bs and are out a lot of money like me.

So my question is, what can I or should I do??? Already contacted Bank of America to see if they could do a chargeback but they denied that since it was so old (greater than 60 days). Other customers are contacting the Minnesota attorney general as well as the BBB. One guy even called the ATF! They quickly told him they can’t help...

Really friggin sucks. I bought a new coonan in 2015 (from a dealer not direct from Coonan) and sold it earlier this year and then decided I want their new model (bad idea). They had always been good to me in the past and always responded to emails etc. So I didn’t hesitate to buy another one.

Is there much I can do at this point?? I have no idea if they’re going out of business and that’s why they’re not responding to calls and emails?

Last edited:
Do you use Twitter? Maybe tell your story then start trashing them if you still don't get a response? Or maybe on FaceSpace, but it sounds like you're already doing that.

If you get nowhere, I have to imagine they're breaking some interstate commerce laws, fraud, whatever.

Do you use Twitter? Maybe tell your story then start trashing them if you still don't get a response? Or maybe on FaceSpace, but it sounds like you're already doing that.

If you get nowhere, I have to imagine they're breaking some interstate commerce laws, fraud, whatever.

I don’t use twitter but suppose I could try that.

The guy I chatted with who called the ATF said they can only help if Coonan is defrauding dealers? There are a couple guys that commented on their Facebook review section and said they’re dealers - some are awaiting the pistols and some are awaiting refunds from Coonan since July....

The not answering phones/emails things would concern. Pretty much every time I've heard that, stuff's gotten really bad...most companies in good shape (whether it financial, personnel, logistics, or otherwise) would still answer even if only to kick the can down the road a bit...not a good sign.

I am really just pulling this out of the air, but maybe something like small claims court (even threatening it)? Being the squeaky wheel only works if they care about upholding a reputation...if they're going under, they probably won't. Stinks you couldn't do the chargeback.

[angry]
The not answering phones/emails things would concern. Pretty much every time I've heard that, stuff's gotten really bad...

and they can't retain, or rehire, quality gunsmiths. The quality of pistols going out would concern me. If you got one with a problem will they be able to help you?

I would take whatever steps you have to get reimbursed now. Good luck!

View attachment 251041 Kicked them in the ass for you
Haha thanks Neil! The more frustrating part was watching them post on Facebook and Instagram but couldn’t respond to emails or figure out when my pistol would ship.

They expanded their product line last year. Coming out with a 45 and 10mm so I realize they probably got hit with a lot of orders but JFC send an email with an update.

You need to take a few steps above and beyound the CC customer service. i would try to prove your case by saying the company has failed its promises.
My credit card company has been great for solving problems.
you may have to mail in copyies of your emails,reciepts and any other info to get the CC to reverse charges.
Maybe a group breakfast down the street from the manufacture is needed?
The manufacture if really small has just stopped taking calls and answering emails because those that do that job are now on the assembly line.

The not answering phones/emails things would concern. Pretty much every time I've heard that, stuff's gotten really bad...most companies in good shape (whether it financial, personnel, logistics, or otherwise) would still answer even if only to kick the can down the road a bit...not a good sign.

I am really just pulling this out of the air, but maybe something like small claims court (even threatening it)? Being the squeaky wheel only works if they care about upholding a reputation...if they're going under, they probably won't. Stinks you couldn't do the chargeback.
Another customer checked the status of their FFL and it was renewed in May. Don’t know how meaningful that is.

I started calling dealers local to Coonan in MN and they hadn’t heard of anything going on. One shop owner said he was friends with one of the guys who works there and sent him a text to see what’s going on. But he told me he never responded to his text...

They’re located in a industrial park in MN and I may call a business that’s next to them to see if they know anything.

You need to take a few steps above and beyound the CC customer service. i would try to prove your case by saying the company has failed its promises.
My credit card company has been great for solving problems.
you may have to mail in copyies of your emails,reciepts and any other info to get the CC to reverse charges.
Maybe a group breakfast down the street from the manufacture is needed?
The manufacture if really small has just stopped taking calls and answering emails because those that do that job are now on the assembly line.
The first BOA customer service guy I spoke to a couple days ago said that sometimes they’ll make exceptions if it’s beyond 60 days old. He told me to fax copies of invoices and email from Coonan. I was in the process of doing that when I received a denial letter from BOA. I called and the CS rep said that it was too late to file a dispute. I told them I heard otherwise from a different rep yesterday. Maybe I need to reach some sort of senior supervisor to get somewhere?

[angry]

and they can't retain, or rehire, quality gunsmiths. The quality of pistols going out would concern me. If you got one with a problem will they be able to help you?

I would take whatever steps you have to get reimbursed now. Good luck!
Exactly! Even if I get a refund, there’s no way in hell I’m buying one again. If the gun ever needed servicing it would go into a black hole if shipped back.

I got a charge back done almost a year out by Cabelas Visa, the company in question had strung me along with emails and phone calls. I kept notes, put together a letter with a chronological list and got the money back (>$1000).

You are dealing with BOA - if it isn’t their loss, they don’t care.

I hope this gets worked out for you.

Looks like they were scheduled to be at some firearms expo in mid september, but the event was cancelled due to hurricanes, so they must still be in business.
Another customer I spoke with was wondering if there were any shows/expos coming up that they may be at. I couldn’t find out. But when SHOT show was coming up, they would always post on FB or send an email blast saying they’ll be there etc.

Which expo was this?

I got a charge back done almost a year out by Cabelas Visa, the company in question had strung me along with emails and phone calls. I kept notes, put together a letter with a chronological list and got the money back (>$1000).

You are dealing with BOA - if it isn’t their loss, they don’t care.

I hope this gets worked out for you.
Damn. I’m going to try calling BOA again and try to reach a supervisor.

That blows. Maybe a plane ticket to MN is in order.
The gun shop owner I spoke with a couple days ago is only 10 min from Coonan. I emailed him last night and told him I’ll gladly PayPal him money for his trouble/gas if he’s willing to drive to Coonan to see wtf is going on. Waiting for his response.

I mailed a complaint to the MN AG which I really didn’t want to do but I’m fed up at this point.

Whats even more frustrating is their lead gunsmith/technical guy, Mark Dante has a public FB profile and has been posting on FB multiple times a day but can’t answer emails. I even commented on one his posts and called him out but he just ignored it.
CA222B59-D884-4D62-9189-6108B9C16013.png

He was great to me when I had issues with my previous Coonan. Would call me after hours to discuss my gun and shoot the shit. Now that has all changed it seems.

Another customer I spoke with was wondering if there were any shows/expos coming up that they may be at. I couldn’t find out. But when SHOT show was coming up, they would always post on FB or send an email blast saying they’ll be there etc.

Which expo was this?

"NRA Carry guard expo"? I believe it was mid september?

I punched in Coonan firearms into a search engine and found some of their twitter stuff. So they're still active to some degree.
I'm not defending what they're doing to you by any means, could be a good chance half of their staff up and quit, might be having issues getting raw materials, might have trouble getting parts shipped in from out of the country.
Looks like they're having problems and trying to pass it off as something else.

Yuck. I hate to see this.

Years ago, when I was into Cowboy Action, there was this guy out in AZ that made great holsters but "took a little long." Well, a little long got longer and longer. I think I waited close to a year. A buddy waited almost 2. I think the 3rd buddy got stiffed. The leather crafter was in bad physical shape and was a terrible businessman so he kept taking orders and couldn't fulfill them. Like Coogan, he took ALL the money up front. So he was spending customer money on his medical care and had little way to actually deliver the product. He went dark at some point. I forget if it was before or after the 3rd guy got his leather.

Most craftsmen are NOT businessmen. It takes a special set of skills to run a business. And it isn't a test of manhood. I can't weld, I can't plumb, I can barely wire and I can cut a straight line only if given enough time. Business is the same way.

Hopefully this works out for you. Sounds like it's going to be a charge-back. If you are lucky. :(

I'd call Bank of America Again. There is no 60 day limitation on fraud. Ask the person who answers for their help. Explain the story, when they say they can't help ask them for a manager who can.
If they continue to tell you they can't help immediately tell them you want to close your account and discontinue using them.
Have another bank account ready to transfer all your funds to.

They should have your back. If they don't, don't give them your business! Find a local credit union to use instead.

Better yet find a bank that is offering some financial incentive to get you to start an account. Move your money over and at least get a little bit of you cash back - indirectly.

Back
Top Bottom