• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cool DIY for making headphones from 40 casings

50 BMG or 20mm? Are there butt headphones? [laugh]

Cool project, I just don't see how they are going to stay in.
My 50BMG "headphone" is for something more private and different. [laugh]

I dont like earbuds for that reason but ive seen similar designs that people use. A couple companies make these except they use a lathe on a solid block of copper to simulate casing look.

Saw this was going to make a set for my son for Christmas (don't worry he's 28 so no issues taking them to school) just need to find the right headphones to cannibalize....

I was at a range class and one of the instructors was an old mil instructor. He walks on the live range without ear protection then reaches down and picks up two spent casing and jams them in his ears as plugs. It was cooler that the other side of the pillow but I'm pretty sure he had hearing damage.

If you don't value your hearing, go ahead. My hearing is important to me, and I will sacrifice comfort to keep something that cannot be replaced.
how would making one of these sacrifice your hearing if I may ask? all they did is change the back end of some headphones. doesn't change how it would affect your hearing in my opinion

If you don't value your hearing, go ahead. My hearing is important to me, and I will sacrifice comfort to keep something that cannot be replaced.

Um.....these are headphones for listenign to music.....not hearing protection to use when shooting.

Of course, you DO realize that you need a LTC in MA to be in possession of just the brass...silly but true

Here is the question, when is a casing no longer related to firearms, I would believe that once the hole has been drilled into the side, then it can never be used again and thus scrap brass. This idea of possession required for LTC is so far past full retard, it lapped it and came back around. Jeeze, for that matter, might as well ban sheet metal as we might all go out and build AK's or 30 round magazines.

Here is the question, when is a casing no longer related to firearms, I would believe that once the hole has been drilled into the side, then it can never be used again and thus scrap brass. This idea of possession required for LTC is so far past full retard, it lapped it and came back around. Jeeze, for that matter, might as well ban sheet metal as we might all go out and build AK's or 30 round magazines.

Or for one person on this site I say we ban shovels!!

Here's my version, I have to say I used a cheap $3.99 pair of ear buds I got at Job Lot and after the conversion the sound is incredible. I guess maybe the larger space behind the speaker contributes to the quality..

Anyway legalities aside (although I believe once they have been rendered unusable for reloading I think they are ok)

Sweet job bbarer! I know some people who werent necessarily gonna get a present from me who will now. Too cool not to make a few. Gonna go nickel to avoid tarnishing though.
Good link

Last edited:
wow very nice job. i want to make some of these but do not have the time right now with the fiance in school and me having the baby. once i get some time, i will be doing this. i see you used 9mm luger. they look awesome. are you going to be handing those out to family and friends as a stocking stuffer for christmas?

No just the one set for my baby son (he's really 28 but will always be my baby). The ear buds I got were a perfect press fit for the 9mm casings. Not hard to make but a little tough soldering the wire as they were extremely fine and were woven with some type of fiber for strength I guess. I think maybe a better quality pair would have heavier wire making it a little easier to solder.

Back
Top Bottom