converting 1st gen Glock 17 to USPSA

I shoot a open glock 17 in 9 major and its competitive. My open glock runs like a top. I run Dawson extensions with a Dawson ice mag well. I think the secret to running a glock successfully in open is all in the loads. As far as recoil in the video of gaming goddess, It looks to me like the 9x21 she shot recoiled and choked just as much as the glock she was shooting, possibly due to her grip and not so much the fault of either gun. No matter what you shoot, you do your part and the gun will do its part. Just goggle Jessie Abbate or Dave Sevigny[wink]

Good luck, Joe

Attachments

• Glock 17 open.jpg
    Glock 17 open.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 17
GTO: Reloading is my main issue. The G17 can shoot inexpensive factory ammo in minor. If I shoot my old STI, I have to reload my rounds. When I competed years ago, I had jams on virtually every stage, amany of them attributable to making the wrong round. Wrong head shape, wrong OAL, case squished too wide, squibb, too much, too little powder to get a good ejection or cycle a new round, etc. For me, IPSC bacame more about technical difficulties of reloading than about shooting.
They no longer manufacture my 571 powder, so I am back to the bench, back to the chrono, back to the bench...and the outdoor range at Haverhill is closed.[/QU

Hodgdon makes an equivalent to 571.

I shoot a open glock 17 in 9 major and its competitive. My open glock runs like a top. I run Dawson extensions with a Dawson ice mag well. I think the secret to running a glock successfully in open is all in the loads. As far as recoil in the video of gaming goddess, It looks to me like the 9x21 she shot recoiled and choked just as much as the glock she was shooting, possibly due to her grip and not so much the fault of either gun. No matter what you shoot, you do your part and the gun will do its part. Just goggle Jessie Abbate or Dave Sevigny[wink]

Good luck, Joe

Going to have to agree with you on this one! Does the Glock open gun have more felt recoil than a 2011.....YES. Is it lighter and provide for faster target transitions.....in my opinion YES. There are pro's and con's to every platform but this one can be competetive for sure. I have a feeling people get too hung up on the gear race and forget that practice is more important than what you are shooting. Of course I am not going to win the Open Nat's but I feel as though a lack of money and time to practice holds me back a lot more than my blaster.

As far as relaibility, if you have someone build a gun that knows what they are doing and if the shooter can actually run a reloading press correctly, this gun will run all day long. This is no different than any other platform as I have seem PLENTY of 2011's from well known gunsmiths puke all over the place this past season.

Of course this is just my $.02 and I am as full of shit as the next guy!

I have found:

Dawson mag extensions work well with the Dawson mag well. but some material needed to be shaved off the insert... otherwise I was getting mags dropping. I have the Arredondos too but they don't work with the Dawson magwell... again they need to me modified. I use the Arrendondos in Limited minor without the magwell on my G34. The Dawsons on my G35 with the magwell.

The Gaming Godess was saved a few times by her slide racker. She fixed a few jams very nicely. Any recommendations?

I believe I cannot even buy a Glock in MA. Even if I could, it would be limited to 10 round mags. What fun is that.
Also, I have ordered a sidewinder sideracker for my STI, after watching the Gaming Goddess use her sideracker twice to clear a jam without losing her tempo. No fumbling, no grip change, no looking at the jam, just yank the racker twice until it shot again. Beautiful. Try doing that by having to cock your hammer, change your grip, find the serations, avoid the ambi safety thumb guards and sight mount, and pull hard enough to cycle, without aiming your gun at the RO.
Goddess just yanked and shot. Sweet. Yum.

I believe I cannot even buy a Glock in MA. Even if I could, it would be limited to 10 round mags. What fun is that.

You can buy whatever you want in a private face to face sale. You'll pay a premium but if you are patient you can find decent prices. You can use pre-ban mags and not be limited to 10 rounds.

Back
Top Bottom