• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Converting 10 round mags back to stock capacity

That's great broc, but I am just starting out, and I am starting from scratch. Gun, mags, ammo, ear protection, range bags, range membership. it adds up, and it adds up fast. If financial concerns are of no concern to you, I am happy for you. But I have to skinflint, otherwise I'm going to be the proverbial guy using airsoft parts to finish a build.
???

1676927756365.png

Which is it - just starting out or 25 years in the gun world??

???

View attachment 723398

Which is it - just starting out or 25 years in the gun world??

You want a life story? All the guns I had bought since I got my FID card at 18 got sold when my daughter was born. Prior to that, I started shooting at 10 with my father and uncle. I turned 35 2 days ago. So I am trying to get back in and start over. I have ammo to guns I no longer own, a shit 10-gun safe from Stack-On, the Canik I bought, and an old luggage bag that serves as a "range bag".

Last edited:
I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Yes, losing $100 sucks, but I doubt we'll see a rollback of those cap limits for years, so I bet the pain will be spread out over a lot longer time period than you think.

Put another way, once you shoot two boxes of vegan 68gr +P ammo instead of two boxes of regular ass 115gr, you will have already spent $100 more than a normal human being.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Yes, losing $100 sucks, but I doubt we'll see a rollback of those cap limits for years, so I bet the pain will be spread out over a lot longer time period than you think.

Put another way, once you shoot two boxes of vegan 68gr +P ammo instead of two boxes of regular ass 115gr, you will have already spent $100 more than a normal human being.

If its any comfort, I did take that advice and am getting CCI Blazer 115g range ammo and 115g PMC HP's for carry. the money math just didn't pencil out. I chalked it up to being really impressed with those 9mm Intercepter rounds, and was basing the entire decision around those rounds, which at the end of the day, was stupid. Even this mag question is just so I feel better about buying mags. Drilling out the dimples will be easy enough, at some time in the future which may never come. Till then it is what it is.

I took them apart, and they appear to be the same. I am unfamiliar with pistols beyond basic field stripping, so I THINK I know what I am seeing, but I don't KNOW I know what I am seeing.
GOoooooogle it

While your at it Google how to grow thick skin too

Your on the internet everyones an expert

Just about all reduced capacity magazines are done so in such a way that prevents them from becoming standard capacity with modifications.

Looks like all Mec Gear mags can be readily converted back to standard capacity by drilling out dimples and trimming springs by 2 to 4 coils depending on capacity difference.

I mean maybe his foot makes sense... but children don't have thick skin

He doesn't really get cut in that movie

Go back try it again I'm rooting for you

So you understood the reference, but don't remember Frodo getting stabbed on Weathertop? Or by Shelob? Gollum managed to bite some fingers off.

I get that. But what I have is a brain that doesn't shut off and goes over things like this constantly. Incessantly. Obsessively. I'll probably just buy 2 mags and call it a day.

We call this "dick self punching". [laugh]

As someone who has massive ADD myself, I get it... but try to stop. It's not something worth worrying about. I was also one of those weirdos that cleaned my guns constantly too. Focusing on things that are not important sucks.

But it takes awhile to cross the bridge and when you do its a relief. I dunno any other way to put it.....

You want a life story? All the guns I had bought since I got my FID card at 18 got sold when my daughter was born. Prior to that, I started shooting at 10 with my father and uncle. I turned 35 2 days ago. So I am trying to get back in and start over. I have ammo to guns I no longer own, a shit 10-gun safe from Stack-On, the Canik I bought, and an old luggage bag that serves as a "range bag".
I have never owned or shot a Canik, but have actually heard some good things about them. Seems like a good start if you are trying to get back into shooting on a budget.

I do own a Stack-On type (actually Homak) safe and have been very happy with it.

So you got the gun, you got the ammo, you got the safe with plenty of room. So you have a foundation to start rebuilding on.

I have never owned or shot a Canik, but have actually heard some good things about them. Seems like a good start if you are trying to get back into shooting on a budget.

I do own a Stack-On type (actually Homak) safe and have been very happy with it.

So you got the gun, you got the ammo, you got the safe with plenty of room. So you have a foundation to start rebuilding on.

That's the hope. So long as this time around I don't end up with the pad of my thumb flopping around, I'll be fine.

As someone who has massive ADD myself, I get it... but try to stop. It's not something worth worrying about. I was also one of those weirdos that cleaned my guns constantly too. Focusing on things that are not important sucks.

But it takes awhile to cross the bridge and when you do its a relief. I dunno any other way to put it.....
Yeah that sounds right. Quite impressive for me too. Small target, but doesn't move much.

mag limits and AWBs will fall quicker than you think, the Maryland AWB and mag limits are in the 4th circuit right now, arguments were in January. A bush judge, Obama and trump on the panel, the bush and trump judge were not favorable to Maryland. After Maryland loses that in a few months, they can appeal en banc or go to SCOTUS. The district judge in The 9th will strike Californias down soon too.

There’s a case against MA but it’s at district court and very early on. The years may be as little as two, maybe three. After NYSRPA vs bruen, there isn’t a way states can defend the bans in court, they’ve been kneecapped.

mag limits and AWBs will fall quicker than you think, the Maryland AWB and mag limits are in the 4th circuit right now, arguments were in January. A bush judge, Obama and trump on the panel, the bush and trump judge were not favorable to Maryland. After Maryland loses that in a few months, they can appeal en banc or go to SCOTUS. The district judge in The 9th will strike Californias down soon too.

There’s a case against MA but it’s at district court and very early on. The years may be as little as two, maybe three. After NYSRPA vs bruen, there isn’t a way states can defend the bans in court, they’ve been kneecapped.
I was guessing 3 years in my head for any kind of movement. The wheels of justice n all. I'd love to see it.

I would to preface this as I am not even considering doing this in MA under current MA regulations.

In the event in the future magazine restrictions are turned over via SCOTUS or otherwise, how difficult would converting 10 round magazines back to their standard capacity be? For example - my Canik has 10 round magazines, but they are identical to the standard 15 round magazines that come with the pistol in freer states. I ask this because if the 10 round magazines can ever be returned to their standard capacity size, I would feel better about investing in 2-3 additional magazines for my Canik versus just dealing with the 2 it came with. It's only $100, but if it the capacity ban every gets struck down every neutered mag that cannot be change to standard capacity will be more or less worthless.
I don't have the time to go through whole thread, but I have 9mm's from several different manufacturers and have considered this same issue. It is my belief that Canik mags could very easily be de-limited. A hand drill and metal bits in several sizes would very easily get rid of the dimples (if you have decent skill). Easy enough to file down any burrs.
Then there are S&W magazines, which have both indented lines (as opposed to small dots) and a scored line around the entire circumference where the indented lines are. If one were to Dremel out the indented lines, the magazine would fall apart into two pieces. Or so I am told. ;-)
I used to have takes on other magazine manufacturers, but I can't recall offhand.

So you understood the reference, but don't remember Frodo getting stabbed on Weathertop? Or by Shelob? Gollum managed to bite some fingers off.
Which doesn't lead to thick skin

If you had gone foot sure he walked like a billion miles barefoot. That's thick skin

I was guessing 3 years in my head for any kind of movement. The wheels of justice n all. I'd love to see it.

The Maryland case already had arguments at the 4th circuit so the decision should be within the next few months. I’m sure MD will ask for en banc. If that’s denied then they only have SCOTUS available and they will be pressured by CA, MA, NY, etc to not appeal to SCOTUS

I think it will be like a dam, there’s a slow leak now but at the 18-24 month mark post NYSRPA vs bruen, the dam breaks. So many cases were either on hold, remanded or newly filed post ruling that it’s slow right now.

You can stop if you want to. Letting go is hard.

I don't have the time to go through whole thread, but I have 9mm's from several different manufacturers and have considered this same issue. It is my belief that Canik mags could very easily be de-limited. A hand drill and metal bits in several sizes would very easily get rid of the dimples (if you have decent skill). Easy enough to file down any burrs.
Then there are S&W magazines, which have both indented lines (as opposed to small dots) and a scored line around the entire circumference where the indented lines are. If one were to Dremel out the indented lines, the magazine would fall apart into two pieces. Or so I am told. ;-)
I used to have takes on other magazine manufacturers, but I can't recall offhand.

If you have a complete mag body, and can apply a drill without moving or deforming the mag release or the feed lips you can do it 100% every time.

Back
Top Bottom